Holland America - question

nance1411

We are planning an Alaskan cruise and land tour. My husband and I are in our late 50s and our sons are in their late 20's. Holland America has been recommended to us. I've read some reviews saying the majority of people on Holland America ships are seniors over the age of 60. And that activities and entertainment are geared towards seniors. We appreciate any comments and/or advice. Thanks!

We are planning an Alaskan cruise and land tour. My husband and I are in our late 50s and our sons are in their late 20's. Holland America has been recommended to us. I've read some reviews saying the majority of people on Holland America ships are seniors over the age of 60. And that activities and entertainment are geared towards seniors. We appreciate any comments and/or advice. Thanks!

While the general atmosphere on Holland America seems to be geared toward older cruisers, there are certainly younger ones onboard.

In fact, our recent Princess cruise seemed to have more "old" people onboard than any of our HAL cruises. And I'm in that group.

I've found I enjoy both HAL and Princess. Both are good for Alaskan cruises, but I lean toward HAL over Princess for that.

It's more important that you check itineraries, dates, cost between the two lines for the cruise you want, not who's onboard.

IMO, you should be more concerned about the quality of food and service than the average age.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To the original poster, welcome to Cruise Critics!

Both HAL and Princess are excellent choices for cruising to Alaska, as they both have large fleets, extensive land tours, and excellent itineraries.

I think that if you are looking for more entertainment and 'nightlife' on board, Princess would be the better choice....

You might also look at the 'Alaska' Cruise Critic forum for more opinion's on this.....

Welcome to CC.

On World Cruisers, the majority of the passengers are indeed seniors who can commit several months to cruise. Younger families just cannot take that much time away from work/kids.

When kids are out of school, HAL has the same demographics as other cruise lines. When kids are in school, parents of those kids are not likely to cruise. This leaves older passengers on cruise ships during those times. The older passengers on HAL reflect their long-term satisfaction with HAL.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I do believe that the first priority should be the itinerary when you sail Alaska.

In general you will find a higher age person sailing Alaska then say the Caribbean.

I do think after you narrows down cruise lines based on itinerary and also you budget that you should consider the on board experience.

There are many cruise lines to look at.

I would get a Travel Agent who specializes in cruises to help you with this.

We are not allowed to offer recommendations on Cruise Critic for TA's so if you have friends who sail see if they can give you a recommendation.

I would look at other lines in addition to HAL.

Keith

Look at both HAL and Princess itineraries. They both have done Alaska the longest. They both have more permits to visit Glacier Bay.

Besides checking out the prices, check the length of time you are in the ports.

Don't worry about the age of the passengers.

I do believe that the first priority should be the itinerary when you sail Alaska.

In general you will find a higher age person sailing Alaska then say the Caribbean.

I do think after you narrows down cruise lines based on itinerary and also you budget that you should consider the on board experience.

There are many cruise lines to look at.

I would get a Travel Agent who specializes in cruises to help you with this.

We are not allowed to offer recommendations on Cruise Critic for TA's so if you have friends who sail see if they can give you a recommendation.

I would look at other lines in addition to HAL.

Keith

Thank you!

IMO, you should be more concerned about the quality of food and service than the average age.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, it depends what you are looking for. If you are looking for a high-quality cruise to see the scenery, eat good food, and have good service. HAL is a fine choice. If you are looking for more entertainment, it may be a fair concern. There have been many mentions of those looking for stuff to do at night on HAL, and it was not as vibrant.

Friday Night, I had the choice to go to a upscale, fish fry with a higher average age or the German bierhaus. I chose the bierhaus. Were there better service and food options out there? Absolutely. I was looking for more of a good time though. That's what I got.

My parents are regular HAL cruisers. For their 50th anniversary they took 2 adult daughters, our husbands and 4 grandchildren, 2 grandkids were 10, one 13 and one 15. The trip was port intensive and the sun didn't set until midnight so often we were happy to sit in the crow's nest, sip a drink and watch the world go by.

Our cruise had many families like ours, so we didn't feel too young [emoji4]. We loved the fresh flowers all over the ship and top notch service.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

My parents are regular HAL cruisers. For their 50th anniversary they took 2 adult daughters, our husbands and 4 grandchildren, 2 grandkids were 10, one 13 and one 15. The trip was port intensive and the sun didn't set until midnight so often we were happy to sit in the crow's nest, sip a drink and watch the world go by.

Our cruise had many families like ours, so we didn't feel too young [emoji4]. We loved the fresh flowers all over the ship and top notch service.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Thanks! That sounds perfect for us. :-)

I would go to the HAL forum if I were you read some of the threads there. HAL has clients who think the line can do no wrong, just as other lines have the same clientele. Some of the older cruisers love the smaller, older ships with little to no entertainment. People who love the mega ships don't. Some complain about the condition of the older ships (a/c, plumbing issues). But I've never heard anyone say the service was poor or the staff was somber or inattentive.

I am mid50s. I have sailed HAL in Alaska three times. I went twice with my Mom, mid 80s. The last time I took three nieces, teens and 20s. Every trip was great. My nieces were younger than most passengers but perfectly content. For me Alaska is about looking out from the ship at the scenery, not looking inward at the ship itself.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip. Alaska is delicious.

I am mid50s. I have sailed HAL in Alaska three times. I went twice with my Mom, mid 80s. The last time I took three nieces, teens and 20s. Every trip was great. My nieces were younger than most passengers but perfectly content. For me Alaska is about looking out from the ship at the scenery, not looking inward at the ship itself.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip. Alaska is delicious.

Thank you! Holland America sounds perfect for my family.