American Constitution cabins/excursions?

wave18

I've never been to New England so decided to go "all out" to celebrate 50th anniversary in late August/early September on ACL's new ship, American Constitution. Has anyone been in an Owner's Suite, AAM or AAL? Is 11 days too long or do ports/excursions maintain interest?

Previous trips on barges, river cruises and small ships in Europe and Caribbean.

Advice always welcome.

Wave18

I've never been to New England so decided to go "all out" to celebrate 50th anniversary in late August/early September on ACL's new ship, American Constitution. Has anyone been in an Owner's Suite, AAM or AAL? Is 11 days too long or do ports/excursions maintain interest?

Previous trips on barges, river cruises and small ships in Europe and Caribbean.

Advice always welcome.

Wave18

First of all, "Congratulations", on the upcoming Anniversary.

We have not been on the Constitution, yet, but have been on other ACL ships, and have been well pleased. Our other cruising experiences have been on Viking River Cruises (3), over 100 ocean cruise (on various cruise-lines), to all seven continents. Some have exceeded thirty consecutive nights -- we have never found any "too long". Then again, that may be just "us, being us" ??

We have not booked the AAM nor AAL category cabins -- usually in AAC's. Not sure if the additional costs are warranted -- again, that may be just us?

We have always (almost) found something of interest in any "new" port we have visited around the world.

We will be doing a New England itinerary next week, aboard American Star, despite living within two hours of the start/end port. We have been to a number of the ports in the past, but the ACL group always seems to find something new to see. Perhaps not everyday, but often enough times to keep us coming back.

I hope this helps to alleviate your concerns. Please let us know your impressions after your return.

NRayH

Ray,

We are planning our first cruise with American. We, too, are experience river (Europe only) and ocean cruisers. We have learned so many lessons, some the hard way, with each cruise line. Could we trouble you for a short answer with some of the lessons you have learned on American? You seemed like the best poster to ask. We, too, are planning AAC category, most likely. I am troubled at the lack of info put out on the size of the cabins--this makes it hard to choose. Are there any clues to choosing location of cabins? Are the ones in the stern noisy? Any real worries, like noisy under the pool deck or under a sun deck on the ocean liners? Thank you in advance for any time and trouble in sharing advice. Also, anyone else who can chip in, thank you!

John

First of all, "Congratulations", on the upcoming Anniversary.

We have not been on the Constitution, yet, but have been on other ACL ships, and have been well pleased. Our other cruising experiences have been on Viking River Cruises (3), over 100 ocean cruise (on various cruise-lines), to all seven continents. Some have exceeded thirty consecutive nights -- we have never found any "too long". Then again, that may be just "us, being us" ??

We have not booked the AAM nor AAL category cabins -- usually in AAC's. Not sure if the additional costs are warranted -- again, that may be just us?

We have always (almost) found something of interest in any "new" port we have visited around the world.

We will be doing a New England itinerary next week, aboard American Star, despite living within two hours of the start/end port. We have been to a number of the ports in the past, but the ACL group always seems to find something new to see. Perhaps not everyday, but often enough times to keep us coming back.

I hope this helps to alleviate your concerns. Please let us know your impressions after your return.

NRayH

• 3 weeks later...
Ray,

We are planning our first cruise with American. We, too, are experience river (Europe only) and ocean cruisers. We have learned so many lessons, some the hard way, with each cruise line. Could we trouble you for a short answer with some of the lessons you have learned on American? You seemed like the best poster to ask. We, too, are planning AAC category, most likely. I am troubled at the lack of info put out on the size of the cabins--this makes it hard to choose. Are there any clues to choosing location of cabins? Are the ones in the stern noisy? Any real worries, like noisy under the pool deck or under a sun deck on the ocean liners? Thank you in advance for any time and trouble in sharing advice. Also, anyone else who can chip in, thank you!

John

Hi John,

Sorry for the tardiness of our reply.

Our experiences with cabins on ACL are that they are similar to what we had on Viking River Cruises in Europe, only these had actual balconies, although the balconies are smallish.

We have found the cabins, themselves, to have ample space that we never felt confined, or cramped. They are not conducive to entertaining other guests though, but there are lounges scattered about the ships were that can used for that purpose. On the itineraries we have cruised with ACL, we have not had to endure any full days cruising, so the amount of cabin space has not been an issue, for us. The AAC cabins are equivalent to many/most balcony cabins, on ocean cruise ships.

Concerning cabin location, we prefer mid-ship, many others prefer aft/stern cabins. We are not fans of "Wake-watching" -- not that there anything wrong with that -- just not our cup-of-tea. I have heard some folks say that the aft cabins on the river boats can be somewhat noisy. We haven't been there, so cannot affirm/negate that aspect. The Dining Salons are usually on the lowest aft deck and we agree that they can sometimes be noisy and vibrations can sometimes be felt (not horrendous, but noticeable). Do not know if that is true of staterooms above that level -- have not personally heard that complaint.

I hope this helps you out.

NRayH

I can't tell you much about the cabins, but I can say that I live in Bucksport Maine, one of American's "alternate" port towns for when conditions don't allow the primary port on a given sailing. This is a beautiful region, and no matter where your ship stops, there will be plenty to see and do nearby.

In June, at least two American ships (including the Constitution), were redirected to our town. Even if you come on a Monday, when many of our shops are closed, you will still be welcome to wander around this quaint New England village.