Crystal Mozart Question

2cagain

I think all Crystal river boats have the same dress code for the evenings, which is called Crystal Casual. There is no requirement for men to wear a sport jacket. Our experience on Crystal Bach earlier this year suggests it is certainly not the norm. Truth be told, I was surprised at just how casual the dress standard was in the evening. It was much less elegant than on the ocean ships. Many people stayed in the clothes they toured in during the day while others made some effort to clean up for dinner. I often saw jeans, khakis, sweatshirts and athletic shoes in Waterside and nobody seemed to care. You'll be fine without a sport coat on the river boat, unless you plan on dining ashore at more elegant venues.

Assuming that the dress on Crystal Mozart is no different than it is on Crystal Mahler, I would say that at any given dinner, about 25% - 50% of men wore sport coats. The only other time I saw men in sport coats was in the lounge in the evening, but the majority didn't.

The dress code every evening is "Crystal Casual." There are no "fancy" evenings and a sport coat is never required.

That being said, you may want to bring a sport coat because every river cruise has a special evening event off the boat (e.g., a private concert at a museum) at which time most men (but not all) would wear a sport coat. Also, if you sign up for one of the Michelin-starred restaurant experiences, you would probably want to wear a coat (however, the food on Crystal is definitely better than the restaurants, and it won't cost you the approximately $300 USD which the Michelin experience costs).

Thank you both for your prompt (and oddly contradictory) replies.

We are going to the Michelin dinner, but Costes Downtown seems pretty contemporary and casual.

I pick the no jacket reply.

No jacket it is!

Just be aware that when you go to Costes Downtown, you will not be eating off of the regular menu. You will be presented with an abbreviated menu, probably an appetizer/entree/dessert (usually a choice from just two items in each category), and you will probably have a choice of either the house red or white wine, but no cocktails. Most likely, you won't sit at intimate tables for two or four persons, but will sit at a large table, probably in a separate room. You will be going and coming by van or bus. So not the intimate/romantic experience that a Michelin-starred experience conjures up to most people.

If you do a search on this website for previous discussions about these meals, many people stated that the typical dinner on board a Crystal river vessel is better than these meals.

My only two caveats are these: If there is only a small handful of passengers who go to the restaurant, you might be placed in the regular part of the restaurant, but most likely not. And I'm assuming that the Mozart's food is the same as Mahler's and Bach's, although since the Mozart is larger, that may not be the case.

Whatever your choice is, have a wonderful meal!

Thanks for your words of concern.

Fortunately, or not, we are “grandfathered” into the included Michelin meal. We are a group of friends, 4 couples, so cozy two-tops are not a concern.

We had however, previously been confirmed at our fist choice, Edward, which was unceremoniously cancelled and we were offered Costes as replacement.

I’m sure we’ll enjoy more than enough good meals onboard and in our preboarding days in Vienna.

Thanks again