How are cruise lines dealing with low water conditions?

KathyK13

Crystal Ravel sailing from Vienna to Basel trip starting August 16th-30th has been modified to a much shorter cruise, six days versus 14 days. We are heartbroken as we booked this cruise 1 year ago as a special trip for my parents 70th wedding anniversary, our friends 50th and our 49th. We are working on rescheduling to another cruise now with the TA, but changing the airline tickets 10 months out is a major nightmare and cost prohibitive. We do understand there is nothing Crystal can do about the water level, but it is still very disappointing to us.

Will your trip insurance cover any of the costs?

The Ravel cruise beginning on August 16 is comprised of two sub-cruises: the first part is 6 days (Vienna to Nuremberg) and the second part is 8 days (Nuremberg to Basel), for a total of 14 days. Do you mean to say that the second part has been canceled altogether? What will the ship do for those remaining 8 days? This doesn't make sense.

Yes, per our email notification from Crystal the new disembark is Passau/Vishofen, Germany, on Aug 22. The next part of the cruise was just dropped off our itinerary.

FunTurtle,

that is very disappointing. I am sorry to read that. Did you say in another thread that you have cancelled now? Do you know if Crystal is taking people to Nuremberg by coach? But perhaps you might prefer not to think about it...

Again, sorry, what a disappointment for such a big planned occasion.

notamermaid

Will your trip insurance cover any of the costs?

We were told that the travel insurance would not cover. Crystal offered up to $1000 per guest reimbursement for amending independent airline arrangements to match new cruise booking if you opted to switch booking to another Crystal River cruise. If you opted to cancel your reservation you would receive 100% refund of all items charged by Crystal. Therefore, you could be out thousands of $ for your airline tickets if they aren't changeable or refundable.

FunTurtle,

that is very disappointing. I am sorry to read that. Did you say in another thread that you have cancelled now? Do you know if Crystal is taking people to Nuremberg by coach? But perhaps you might prefer not to think about it...

Again, sorry, what a disappointment for such a big planned occasion.

notamermaid

Thank you nota mermaid. The new amended itinerary is after going to Passau, the Ravel goes to Grein, Austria and then returns to Passau/Vishofen, Germany where it disembarks. There was no notification of tours available. Yes, we opted to switch to another cruise in 2019. The difficult part is changing our independent airline tickets. None of this has been easy.

Is this a summer issue or year round? We are scheduled for the Romantic Danube Viking cruise November 2019 and I’m starting to get nervous.

In the spring the river can flood. The low water level this summer is because of the lack of rainfall and the unusually hot temperatures. Hopefully, the area will get some much needed rain.

In the spring the river can flood. The low water level this summer is because of the lack of rainfall and the unusually hot temperatures. Hopefully, the area will get some much needed rain.

This is not always true. In June 2013 the Danube experienced it's worst ever flooding.

To further complicate matters, this year's drought phenomenon is (almost) all over Europe and hitting the Elbe and Danube very hard and the Rhine to a lesser extent. Danube and Rhine can often differ in how much they are affected by high or low water. When the Danube flooded badly in June 2013 the Rhine was much less affected (but the river was closed for a bit as well). November is normally an o.k. month on the Rhine with the lower temperatures and more rain beginning to fill the catchment area and the river. The Danube reacts the same way but not necessarily as much or in the same time span.

notamermaid

This is not always true. In June 2013 the Danube experienced it's worst ever flooding.

You are right! In Early July 2009 we were on AMA Amalegro and the cruise before ours had to be bussed due to flooding on the Danube, and the swift currents.

Wonder what sort of winter this part of Europe will have after such a hot dry summer?

Thinking of those travelling in December, guess time will tell.

We have had both high and low water interruptions as well as strikes by lock staff when doing European river cruises over the years. We enjoy the style and experience of that mode of travel especially when things go well however.

We were on the Rhine last week with Viking (Amsterdam to Basel). The river was very low and we apparently came close to having to switch ships. But there ended up just being enough water to pass through the Middle Rhine without incident. The only issue was that we could not dock at their usual pier in Cologne due to low water so they let us off in Vons and bussed us about 1/2 hour to Cologne where there was the included walking tour and the optional tours and free time. They ran shuttle busses throughout the afternoon back to the ship which had relocated since dropping us off to an industrial harbor (Niehle, I think?). It was about 15 minutes from town. The rest of the cruise went on without any problems with water levels (that the passengers knew about, anyway). Thank you Captain Vadim!

Ryan208,

good to hear about your successful cruise and I hope you had a great time. Niehl is the "winter" harbour just North of Cologne (a suburban district actually). Docking can be tricky as so many landing stages are at the side or just out of the navigation channel. Several docks in the Middle Rhine valley are also "out of order". This is Niehl harbour: 50.974248, 6.979768 on google maps

notamermaid

Friends returned today from Avalon Vista Amsterdam to Budapest cruise that departed July 31. I had asked if they would do it again. Texted answer: "We would. It was an adventure for us . But it was hard for some people. Avalon is giving refunds for the days we were scheduled to be on the river and weren't. They paid for lunches, hotel rooms and meals for those days too."

I had warned them early this summer that the cruise could become a bus tour and Avalon had let them know just before they left that they would be bussed from Amsterdam to Cologne. So they were somewhat prepared.

Friends returned today from Avalon Vista Amsterdam to Budapest cruise that departed July 31. I had asked if they would do it again. Texted answer: "We would. It was an adventure for us . But it was hard for some people. Avalon is giving refunds for the days we were scheduled to be on the river and weren't. They paid for lunches, hotel rooms and meals for those days too."

I had warned them early this summer that the cruise could become a bus tour and Avalon had let them know just before they left that they would be bussed from Amsterdam to Cologne. So they were somewhat prepared.

Did your friends mention being bused anywhere else than Amsterdam-to-Cologne? We're booked for the same itinerary starting 9/21, and I'm seeing mentions on other threads about impassable sections on the upper Danube (Regensberg-to-Passau) and the final stretch into Budapest.

Friend did not mention specific bus journeys but did mention plural coaches and hotels. So apparently more than just to Cologne. From following trip on marine traffic.com I know they did not make it to Budapest on a boat. Bussed from Vienna. Also seems to have been a boat swap at one point. Good luck.

Friend did not mention specific bus journeys but did mention plural coaches and hotels. So apparently more than just to Cologne. From following trip on marine traffic.com I know they did not make it to Budapest on a boat. Bussed from Vienna. Also seems to have been a boat swap at one point. Good luck.

Thanks. You describe pretty much what I'm fearing will happen to us -- although I do hope we can make it to the Danube, even if we have to ride a bus to do so.

Our cruise has been canceled. We were scheduled on the Uniworld SS Beatrice from Budapest to Bucharest (departing August 22). Uniworld is offering a full refund for the canceled cruise, but we have been scrambling for hotels and other necessities to make our tour work as a "land" vacation. Uniworld offered absolutely no assistance and seemed indifferent about the entire process. We have non-refundable airfare and hotels in other cities that we would not be able to recover and so the vacation WILL GO ON! We will not river cruise again -- too much uncertainty with low or high water levels.

Uniworld offered absolutely no assistance and seemed indifferent about the entire process.

If you have accepted the full refund from them then I'm not entirely sure what further assistance you might reasonable have expected from them?

I wouldn't give up on river cruising completely, but perhaps look outside Europe at one of the cruises that is not likely to be affected by water levels, Cambodia or Myanmar perhaps or even China...

If you have accepted the full refund from them then I'm not entirely sure what further assistance you might reasonable have expected from them?

I wouldn't give up on river cruising completely, but perhaps look outside Europe at one of the cruises that is not likely to be affected by water levels, Cambodia or Myanmar perhaps or even China...

I expect compassion, professionalism, and polite customer service. We received none. I also asked about possibly utilizing already booked hotels (in our ending point of Bucharest) to minimize our work around effort. They wouldn’t even consider that.

1. This is why I purchase travel insurance.....to cover those nonrefundable airline and hotel monies. Any chance your credit card you used offers any protection?

2. I always book with a travel agent. This is where they can really help out. Uniworld is part of The Travel Corporation, which has a slew of other tour operators operating in the same areas, perhaps there is an option there for you. Earlier this year, our Provence cruise was canceled 5 weeks in advance, and our TA was able to transfer us over to the Paris Normandy cruise.

3. Have you called the hotel directly, where you had been booked with Uniworld? If Uniworld has completely refunded the trip, then there should be availability.

Enjoy your trip, however it plays out!

Robin

1. This is why I purchase travel insurance.....to cover those nonrefundable airline and hotel monies. Any chance your credit card you used offers any protection?

2. I always book with a travel agent. This is where they can really help out. Uniworld is part of The Travel Corporation, which has a slew of other tour operators operating in the same areas, perhaps there is an option there for you. Earlier this year, our Provence cruise was canceled 5 weeks in advance, and our TA was able to transfer us over to the Paris Normandy cruise.

3. Have you called the hotel directly, where you had been booked with Uniworld? If Uniworld has completely refunded the trip, then there should be availability.

Robin

Robin, Thanks for the information but we have already (on our own) managed to book hotels and flights as necessary to carry out our trip. I’m just disappointed in Uniworld’s response to the cancellation. I expected better based on what we were paying.

Our cruise has been canceled. We were scheduled on the Uniworld SS Beatrice from Budapest to Bucharest (departing August 22). Uniworld is offering a full refund for the canceled cruise, but we have been scrambling for hotels and other necessities to make our tour work as a "land" vacation. Uniworld offered absolutely no assistance and seemed indifferent about the entire process. We have non-refundable airfare and hotels in other cities that we would not be able to recover and so the vacation WILL GO ON! We will not river cruise again -- too much uncertainty with low or high water levels.

I am sorry, and understand your pain. Our cruise was modified so much that we chose to not do it, but switched to another one next year. Thankfully, our travel agent was able to obtain vouchers for our airfare, minus a $400 penalty. The hotel precruise was a total loss for us as we could not get a refund. I understand your frustration with Uniworld. I hope you have a wonderful time on your own. It will be an adventure you will never forget! Safe travels!

Robin

The problem is that you have to be sure that the insurance company would actually cover such losses. With most insurance cancellation of a trip by the vendor is NOT a covered reason. Also if you have part of the trip beyond the river cruise, then only part of the trip would have been canceled by vendor and the vendor has refunded that portion.

I have friends on the AmaViola this week and everything seems to be going as scheduled. Looks like AMA ships made it to Budapest but many others didn't, so had to bus there.

We are on the AmaViola sailing from Budapest 9/7. Praying we can proceed as planned. Fortunately the hot weather seems to be dropping off. Mid-70’s for next week.