Which Christmas Market trip would you recommend?

LVvacationfun

I am looking at two different Christmas Market cruises with two different companies. One is with Crystal traveling from Budapest to Vienna. The other is on Scenic traveling from Basel to Amsterdam. Which would you recommend and why? This would be my first river cruise and would welcome any recommendations.

Since no one has answered, the best I can offer is check the dates of the actual cruise. It’s my understanding that the markets do not extend all the way to Christmas, and perhaps are not open every day? Comparing actual dates to cities may show an obvious advantage.

You may also get more replies if you post which cities each cruise visits.

The Scenic cruise is Dec. 12-19 and starts in Basel. It goes to Strasbourg, Mannheim, Rudesheim, Koblenz, Cologne and ends in Amsterdam. The Crystal cruise is Dec 13-20 and starts in Budapest. It goes to Bratislava, Melk, Linz, Krems and ends in Vienna. The dates are similar and the price difference is only about $200. So if anyone has any suggestions on which trip would be better at that time of year and for a first river cruise they would be very welcomed.

Just a note for those that are still considering Christmas Market cruises. According to Google, Advent is late in both 2018 and 2019; in 2018 it begins on Dec 2 and ends on Dec 24 and in 2019 it begins on Dec 1 and ends on Dec 24. That means that late November cruises will likely miss markets, at least in the smaller towns.

I am looking at two different Christmas Market cruises with two different companies. One is with Crystal traveling from Budapest to Vienna. The other is on Scenic traveling from Basel to Amsterdam. Which would you recommend and why? This would be my first river cruise and would welcome any recommendations.

We have taken 7 Christmas Market Cruises. For your first Christmas Market cruise I would recommend Vienna to Nuremberg (or Nuremberg to Vienna). If you are stuck on one of the above two, go with the Basil - Amsterdam! It stops in some wonderful towns. (We are doing Cologne to Basil this year for a second time).

Just a note for those that are still considering Christmas Market cruises. According to Google, Advent is late in both 2018 and 2019; in 2018 it begins on Dec 2 and ends on Dec 24 and in 2019 it begins on Dec 1 and ends on Dec 24. That means that late November cruises will likely miss markets, at least in the smaller towns.

This site is the best reference for Xmas Markets. It has never let us down. http://www.brunnvalla.ch/christmasmarkets/