Would like to discover scuba diving

I've been snorkeling for a few years now on cruises and really enjoy it. I'd like to take the next step and try a "discover" scuba class. I'd seen one on a web site while online but the website has changed and I never book marked it so not sure who it was. Anyway, we'll be on a cruise next April visiting the ABC islands. I'm already booked on a snorkel excursion in Bonaire so looking to find a company in either Aruba or Curacao. I'm 60 years old and will never become certified so just looking for that first experience that will satisfy my curiosity and maybe be a first of many dives, who knows. Would anyone be able to recommend a company on either of those islands for that first "discover" scuba dive? Thanks, Steve

I've been snorkeling for a few years now on cruises and really enjoy it. I'd like to take the next step and try a "discover" scuba class. I'd seen one on a web site while online but the website has changed and I never book marked it so not sure who it was. Anyway, we'll be on a cruise next April visiting the ABC islands. I'm already booked on a snorkel excursion in Bonaire so looking to find a company in either Aruba or Curacao. I'm 60 years old and will never become certified so just looking for that first experience that will satisfy my curiosity and maybe be a first of many dives, who knows. Would anyone be able to recommend a company on either of those islands for that first "discover" scuba dive? Thanks, Steve

Steve,

I have a good answer for you either place. For a discover dive, my first choice would be to go with Curacao. I can strongly recommend CURious2Dive (www.curious2dive.com). Hans Pleij there will take great care of you. he provides port pick-up and return and prices are quite reasonable. I would expect that a Discover dive there would be at the Tugboat site, which is a great site for your introduction as there's lots to see. The only down side - and I don't think it's much of one - is that it would be a shore dive.

If you want a boat dive, then Aruba would be my answer, and you can talk with Jeffrey Kost, at Happy Divers Aruba (www.happydiversaruba.com) is another great dive operator. Aruba has a lot of good shallow sites; but I really believe Curacao would be the better experience. Jeffrey also provides port pick-up and return, and also has reasonable prices.

Either way you'll have a great experience I'm sure.

Harris

Denver, CO

Steve,

I have a good answer for you either place. For a discover dive, my first choice would be to go with Curacao. I can strongly recommend CURious2Dive (www.curious2dive.com). Hans Pleij there will take great care of you. he provides port pick-up and return and prices are quite reasonable. I would expect that a Discover dive there would be at the Tugboat site, which is a great site for your introduction as there's lots to see. The only down side - and I don't think it's much of one - is that it would be a shore dive.

If you want a boat dive, then Aruba would be my answer, and you can talk with Jeffrey Kost, at Happy Divers Aruba (www.happydiversaruba.com) is another great dive operator. Aruba has a lot of good shallow sites; but I really believe Curacao would be the better experience. Jeffrey also provides port pick-up and return, and also has reasonable prices.

Either way you'll have a great experience I'm sure.

Harris

Denver, CO

Thanks, I was hoping you would see this and respond Harris. Ironically I was snorkeling at the Tugboat in April and saw scuba divers while there. Curious2Dive was on my short list as well as The Dive Bus. You can just never tell from what you read online as most of the post are from experienced divers. I'll contact Hans to get the necessary info, although we won't be back until next April. BTW, what are your thoughts on the Dive Bus?

Thanks, I was hoping you would see this and respond Harris. Ironically I was snorkeling at the Tugboat in April and saw scuba divers while there. Curious2Dive was on my short list as well as The Dive Bus. You can just never tell from what you read online as most of the post are from experienced divers. I'll contact Hans to get the necessary info, although we won't be back until next April. BTW, what are your thoughts on the Dive Bus?

I haven't dove with the Dive Bus, but I've seen them while diving Curacao. They do get good reviews, but I think you'll be better off with Hans, as you'll be receiving a much more personalized experience. With the Dive Bus, you'll be one of enough people for a bus. With CURious2Dive, if you're not getting absolute one-on-one, you'll be be one of no more than a group that goes in a small truck.

When you talk to Hans, tell him Harris from Denver says "hi". You can email him at: Curious2Dive@gmail.com.

Harris

Denver, CO

I haven't dove with the Dive Bus, but I've seen them while diving Curacao. They do get good reviews, but I think you'll be better off with Hans, as you'll be receiving a much more personalized experience. With the Dive Bus, you'll be one of enough people for a bus. With CURious2Dive, if you're not getting absolute one-on-one, you'll be be one of no more than a group that goes in a small truck.

When you talk to Hans, tell him Harris from Denver says "hi". You can email him at: Curious2Dive@gmail.com.

Harris

Denver, CO

Thanks again Harris, that's all I need to know! I'll drop your name when I email him.

if you've never done any SCUBA b4

it is a good idea to take a look at the PADI medical questions b4 ...

https://www.padi.com/sites/default/files/documents/padi-courses/2.1.5%20rstc%20medstate%20v201.pdf

In general, any YES answer will require a doctor's clearance ....

Thanks Capt., yes, I I've already looked at and printed out the form. Appreciate the heads up on that. My blood pressure is excellent (of course it is, I take meds for blood pressure :)) I do see a cardiologist once a year so had planned on having him review the medical form. My wife has been on me to make sure I get his blessing. Thanks again for the heads up.

Just got back from Curacao and went with the dive bus, it was a good experience,their cruise ship passenger dive is on there house reefs, that are just across the street from the shop. They are called pierbaii reef and car pile.you gear up at their shop and walk across the street and go diving,walk back,do your surface interval and do the second dive,I found myself at 105 ft on the first dive on car pile,not bad for a beach dive. There were very friendly and gave a thorough briefing and pointed out stuff of interest as we went. I would use them again.

I'll second the recommendation for the Dive Bus in Curacao. Good, attentive folks and it is not a busy dive site which is important for a new diver.

Aruba, I would stay a long, long way away from the Antilla. Too many divers and with many of them in black wet suits it's easy to become detached from your group. I normally use SE Aruba Fly and Dive, small groups and good DM's.

If I was starting over it would have to be Bonaire.

Edited by idlenote
Line spacing