Dive knife alternative

pete1681

hey all,

I know the cruise ships don’t like dive knives,no problem, I leave them at home. My question is do you think or has anyone brought a small line cutter? Or any other type of cutting tool?

back a few years when many dive ops banned gloves to protect coral they became anti-knife too. At that time shears became the tool of choice for many . . .

If cutting fishing line is the concern all you really need is a set of good toe-nail clippers! Preferably stainless steel!

I've never had my dive tool confiscated. It's of legal length, less than 4 inches.

"legal"? to who?

for example this is from the FAQ for RCL concerning prohibited items:

• Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)

as I mentioned RCL made me remove and dispose of the knife on my keychain ... a swiss army knife with a blade of 1 1/4 inch ...

8931330097182_celum_141743_560Wx490H.jpg?1

Disney no-no list :

• Firearms, ammunition, knives (including dive knives), swords, daggers and any other types of weapons

Certainly you don't mean TSA:

Knives

• Carry On Bags: No
  • Checked Bags: Yes

and let us not confuse 'got away with it' versus 'allowed'

Legal to HAL, Carnival, RCL, and Princess per their guidelines. My dive tool is attached to my BCD and it always goes as checked luggage. It is of legal length per the rules on those four cruise lines. You couldn't pay me enough to sail on Disney.

"legal"? to who?

for example this is from the FAQ for RCL concerning prohibited items:

• Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)

as I mentioned RCL made me remove and dispose of the knife on my keychain ... a swiss army knife with a blade of 1 1/4 inch ...

8931330097182_celum_141743_560Wx490H.jpg?1

Disney no-no list :

• Firearms, ammunition, knives (including dive knives), swords, daggers and any other types of weapons

Certainly you don't mean TSA:

Knives

• Carry On Bags: No
  • Checked Bags: Yes

and let us not confuse 'got away with it' versus 'allowed'

A swiss army/ or any knife will be confiscated in a carry on, but I've never had one taken in checked luggage. I take one on every cruise, just don't take it off and on the ship when in port.

• 2 weeks later...

We embarked without an issue when ours were attached to our BCD. When we came back on from a dive though, security stopped us. From that point on we would check them in/out with security as we came and went.