Full face mask for kids?

Mntbiker2008

I'm partially cutting and pasting a response I made on another thread.

I'm both a Scuba Instructor, and on the verge of retirement from decades as a Coroner's Investigator. I mention this because I have knowledge of what snorkeling is, and knowledge of the danger of death presented by oxygen displacement.

Let me start by saying I'm not a fan of full-face masks for ANYONE, let alone a child. First their design precludes being able to dive down to depth, and thus really enjoy snorkeling. However the bigger issue is their danger.

The danger is quite real. Carbon Dioxide is not poisonous, the way carbon monoxide is, but it displaces oxygen, causing hypoxia. Carbon dioxide, helium, nitrogen, and other non-poisonous gases are frequently used in suicides by suffocation; again to displace oxygen, without creating the "air hunger" that would otherwise result. The point being the lungs fill, but since the oxygen is displaced, the person dies from lack of oxygen, without the discomfort of being unable to breathe. With the full-face snorkels, a lot of users say "If I felt a problem, I'd simply take the mask off". They don't realize they may never perceive the sensation of difficult breathing, Since they are breathing fine, but they're not breathing oxygen The lack of air hunger means a snorkeler likely will not realize their situation is becoming perilous.

The problem created by breathing improperly is hypercapnia (excessive CO2). This can result from hyperventilating with no other factor present (no mask, snorkel or other obstruction). This is exactly what happens when kids play the "choking game" where they deliberately hyperventilate, then another restricts their breathing. It's not the lack of oxygen directly, but the presence of carbon dioxide displacing oxygen. Further, the brain signals the breathing to occur in the presence of carbon dioxide, rather than the lack of oxygen, thus hypercapnia results in a autonomic response to breathe. This ends up in a even more rapid, and less efficient breathing. If not recognized and consciously overcome, hypoxia is the result. If on land, the person faints, and returns to baseline. If in water, loss of consciousness results in drowning. The volume of a full face snorkeling mask is much more than a snorkel. A snorkel gets very close to 100% exchange with every breath. If a full face mask is not designed to provide for proper exchange of exhaled gas, it is a nearly perfect system to cause hypercapnia. This is exacerbated if the user hyperventilates. This can result from exertion, or simply stress from the new experience; or, obviously, hypercapnia. Since the full face mask provides no means to equalize the ears, those using them tend not to dive below the surface, but even the effect of surface swimming can be enough to cause improper, rapid breathing.

Now, to be clear, the quality brands (Head, Tribord, etc), have design features to significantly lessen this danger, but the features rely on proper maintenance and cleaning that is easy to neglect. Most of the "knock-off" full face masks lack these design features, or they're poorly constructed. Some of these knock-offs are marketed in a way that a buyer thinks they're getting a good brand, when they aren't.

Harris

Denver, CO

www.divessi.com/pro/64612

Our kids are adults now but they were very young when they started snorkeling in Hawaii. No full face mask-practice in a pool. Both our kids were very, very comfortable in water-pool or ocean. If your daughter is comfortable in water I’d get her used to the regular snorkel gear if possible. Our daughter became a scuba diver too.

I just don’t trust the full mask.

Our kids are adults now but they were very young when they started snorkeling in Hawaii. No full face mask-practice in a pool. Both our kids were very, very comfortable in water-pool or ocean. If your daughter is comfortable in water I’d get her used to the regular snorkel gear if possible. Our daughter became a scuba diver too.

I just don’t trust the full mask.

Thanks! I have been reading up more about the full face masks and am leaning more towards the traditional masks. I am a scuba diver as well and would like to get the rest of my family certified eventually. I feel like she will be ok with the regular mask. I suppose I will give it a shot and see how she likes it.

Thanks! I have been reading up more about the full face masks and am leaning more towards the traditional masks. I am a scuba diver as well and would like to get the rest of my family certified eventually. I feel like she will be ok with the regular mask. I suppose I will give it a shot and see how she likes it.

If you’re a diver even more reason to start her out right!! We were at an all inclusive resort when our kids were about 8 & 10 and they got to try scuba in the pool. Great introduction for them.

I am a scuba diver as well and would like to get the rest of my family certified eventually.

This alone is a reason to go with a traditional mask and snorkel. If they do go on to get certified , it should be easier already being familiar and comfortable breathing through their mouth and dealing with a traditional mask. I would imagine it would be a bit challenging having to learn to snorkel all over again if they were used to a full face mask, then had to learn regular mask drills, breathing from a regulator and possible a snorkel as well - depending on whether snorkeling is covered in their certification

• 1 month later...

Full face snorkel masks are literally injuring snorkellers. Google for the news from Hawaii where they are considering banning these

There is a trend in both diving and snorkeling right now to SUBSTITUTE TECHNOLOGY FOR SKILL. 

Technology has its place in assisting you to minimise risks. Skills, taught correctly keep you alive.

Buy your children a good quality, properly fitting mask and a snorkel of the correct size without a flap on the top to "keep the water out", you do not even need a purge valve at the bottom.

There is a skill in learning how to clear a snorkel and to control your airway while doing so. These in water skills are easy to learn and improve your safety tremendously.

I would never teach anyone to snorkel using a full face mask unless there was some very good medical reason for using one.

Enjoy your snorkeling, diving and your cruising.

Terry

• Like 1

Thank you everyone.  I forgot to post back here but ended up buying her a kids Tusa mask and snorkel.  Didn't do the fins at this time but she did great and had a blast.  We filled the bathtub up when we got it in and let her get the feel of it there so she knew what to expect before we got her in the ocean.  Only one minor freak out but that was because some seaweed brushed her leg. All in all, I am happy I went with the traditional mask and snorkel. 

• Like 1

I have snorkeled for over 10 years and lately have been using a Tribord after all my masks began leaking for some reason (good suction with inhale, hair not in seal, not to tight/loose, no sunscreen). Decided my skull shape has changed over time, lol... I love it, do shallow reefs & don't dive down anymore anyway. Great peripheral vision; best part, no jaw fatigue! Have never had hypotaxia. I do "come up for air" about every 20 min or so... I got mine directly from Triboard.

6 hours ago, Mntbiker2008 said:

Thank you everyone.  I forgot to post back here but ended up buying her a kids Tusa mask and snorkel.  Didn't do the fins at this time but she did great and had a blast.  We filled the bathtub up when we got it in and let her get the feel of it there so she knew what to expect before we got her in the ocean.  Only one minor freak out but that was because some seaweed brushed her leg. All in all, I am happy I went with the traditional mask and snorkel. 

Great to hear and glad you came back to tell us.  Only one minor freak out is good!  I’m excited for our upcoming cruise as I finally have a prescription mask and we are going snorkeling  with whale sharks in LaPaz. 

2 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

Great to hear and glad you came back to tell us.  Only one minor freak out is good!  I’m excited for our upcoming cruise as I finally have a prescription mask and we are going snorkeling  with whale sharks in LaPaz. 

Where did you get your mask? My wife is basically blind without her glasses and doesn't wear contacts. 

14 minutes ago, Mntbiker2008 said:

Where did you get your mask? My wife is basically blind without her glasses and doesn't wear contacts. 

We got it at International Diving Centre 2572 Arbutus, Vancouver.  You can either get exactly your prescription (more expensive) or very close which is what I got.  They have increments of .50 I think it was with small samples you can try.  I bought their mask and they popped in the prescription for each eye and wow-I could see!!!  The Mexico cruise will be the first time I try it but I also have 3 other warm weather cruises coming up after so very excited.  Even my husband is happy that I will enjoy it much more now.

I tried the mask at our local pool and was thrilled to be able to see.  Your wife would love it I’m sure. Total including mask, prescription and taxes was $215 Cnd. 

7 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

We got it at International Diving Centre 2572 Arbutus, Vancouver.  You can either get exactly your prescription (more expensive) or very close which is what I got.  They have increments of .50 I think it was with small samples you can try.  I bought their mask and they popped in the prescription for each eye and wow-I could see!!!  The Mexico cruise will be the first time I try it but I also have 3 other warm weather cruises coming up after so very excited.  Even my husband is happy that I will enjoy it much more now.

I tried the mask at our local pool and was thrilled to be able to see.  Your wife would love it I’m sure. Total including mask, prescription and taxes was $215 Cnd. 

Thank you! I will definitely be checking that out! 

34 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

Is the La Paz trip on a cruise? Cannot find a single line that goes up into the Sea of Cortez any more. They used to have many stops, even all the way up to Guaymas. Road Scholar used to go to Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) for the calving...

Yes, end of November on the Eurodam.  It’s a 10 day cruise from San Diego and includes Cabo, Mazatlan, PV, Loreto and La Paz.   

56 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

Whoa!! We will jump on that for next time!! Love the Eurodam too. I guess the excitement over El Chapo is over, lol. Thanks so much.

I think it’s doing some 7 day trips and others are 10 days.  You should check out April 2020 as HAL is offering some very different ports in Mexico on a 12 day cruise.  

39FDD625-4064-42C5-9DDC-A8C461C7C6AA.jpeg

Edited by canadianbear
Add photo