Afternoon Tea in Victoria BC

I have to recommend the White Heather Tea Room; It was 1/2 the price of the Empress and not nearly as crowded;

For only $37pp, you get 3 level assortment of finger sammies, scones with butter/jam and desserts; We had a lot of leftovers, so we boxed them up and gave them to a homeless person:cool::cool:

:cool:

Nice. Thank you for the report. I lived in Victoria for 35 years and know well the Empress Hotel Afternoon Tea - I've watched the price climb to the (IMO) astronomical rate it is today. I fully realize it is an extravagance for many people and they don't mind paying the price, so it's nice to read of a good alternative. :)

I still think $37 pp + ~15-20% in add ons is pushing it for afternoon tea.

I'd even put up with the haphazard (or self-serve) tea service onboard for that money!

What I am somewhat surprised by is the Empress not offering a late tea service for the late-arriving cruise ships.

I still think $37 pp + ~15-20% in add ons is pushing it for afternoon tea.... What I am somewhat surprised by is the Empress not offering a late tea service for the late-arriving cruise ships.

I think that is still costly, too. But I'm glad there are alternatives. And the last seating for tea is at 5:45 - I guess any later than that would not be "afternoon tea". ;)

Yes, but the cruise tourists want the experience and will pay for it (and are probably disappointed the ships arrive too late). And afternoon tea must be a huge margin item. I can't imagine the food, prep and wait staff costing more than $20 a person (generous probably). If I was GM at the Empress, I'd know what I'd do.

Maybe it's just senility, but I could swear that evening slots for 'afternoon tea' have been available as (even more over-priced) cruise ship excursions as late as 9pm in the past in Victoria. Only bring able to book it through the line makes for even more profit margins for both hotel and ship!

Maybe this is also finally marks enough folks having said 'Nope, too pricey' in sufficient numbers to get them to rethink things - price only went up $3 since last year, despite the menu changing to the 'special Royal Wedding menu' which I really expected to involve some additional gouging to maximize income from the wedding fever sufferers.

Wholesale booked by the cruise line? That makes sense as they know staffing and portion requirements in advance. Maybe too expensive (or very low value for money) for some of us but they only need a tiny fraction of those on the Norwegian Bliss to bite, not to mention when there's a HAL and Princess ship in town in the same time.

I see it's $78 now. I wonder how much it was in 1979-81 which was the only time I've been.

FWIW, the sister hotel at Vancouver airport is (still) grouponing tea at $71 for 2 (regularly $69 each).

Wholesale booked by the cruise line? That makes sense as they know staffing and portion requirements in advance. Maybe too expensive (or very low value for money) for some of us but they only need a tiny fraction of those on the Norwegian Bliss to bite, not to mention when there's a HAL and Princess ship in town in the same time.

I see it's $78 now. I wonder how much it was in 1979-81 which was the only time I've been.

FWIW, the sister hotel at Vancouver airport is (still) grouponing tea at $71 for 2 (regularly $69 each).

I took my Auntie to Empress for tea in the 80s I guess and it wasn't a lot then or I would remember, I was paying. LOL:p

I still think $37 pp + ~15-20% in add ons is pushing it for afternoon tea.

I'd even put up with the haphazard (or self-serve) tea service onboard for that money!

What I am somewhat surprised by is the Empress not offering a late tea service for the late-arriving cruise ships.

Butchart Gardens has afternoon for about the same price. daughter tries it recently and was very pleased.

I assume it was indeed a special arrangement with the line(s) in port. Hotel Vancouver in downtown is even cheaper(!?) at only(!?) $65pp, and also has Groupons running sometimes. To be honest though the only time I've ever considered it is when they do 'Tea at the Top' and open the rooftop dining room - special dates like Mothers Day only unfortunately, so it's both really busy and never discounted.

Unless you attend a private function booked there, it's about the only way to experience the roof deck of the Fairmont Vancouver so that does add some additional value - and there actually is a view unlike any other Fairmont tea experience. Still though, it's really poor value for money compared to say a ticket to the Harbour Centre for even better views plus an a la carte visit to any good tea spot instead... I find it simply astonishing that people will pay so much for so little - dinner at the hotel is a vastly superior value proposition that can easily be cheaper than afternoon tea for a full meal instead of a few fripperies.

• 4 weeks later...
Wow. :o In 1998 my girlfriend and I went; she treated me and I am sure she paid about $44.00 each, plus tip. We got a little jar of jam to take home though. :D:D:D

$44 in 1998 is about the same as about $68 today, so the price has gone up by more than inflation by about $10.