Santorini - private tour or ship tour to Oia

BaseballMomof4

I am debating whether to purchase the ship's "Oia on your own" tour or go with a local. We generally prefer local tours since they are usually smaller and you can either avoid or beat the ship crowds, but since Santorini is a tender port I am unsure which way to go.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this?

Thanks!

I am debating whether to purchase the ship's "Oia on your own" tour or go with a local. We generally prefer local tours since they are usually smaller and you can either avoid or beat the ship crowds, but since Santorini is a tender port I am unsure which way to go.

Thanks!

We took ship tour and I am very happy we did. We started from nice winery followed by Oia ,followed by Fira. Lots of free time . No way avoid crowds there, its one street after all :rolleyes: . Plus with ship tour you are on first tender out .

We took ship tour and I am very happy we did. We started from nice winery followed by Oia ,followed by Fira. Lots of free time . No way avoid crowds there, its one street after all :rolleyes: . Plus with ship tour you are on first tender out .

Thanks for that info. We will probably just get the Oia on your own excursion, it's fairly inexpensive and we like to wander at our own pace! Being the first tender definitely will make a difference!!

Thanks again!!

Thanks for that info. We will probably just get the Oia on your own excursion, it's fairly inexpensive and we like to wander at our own pace! Being the first tender definitely will make a difference!!

Thanks again!!

Tour guide is only in the bus with you any way ,then they drop you in Oia and tell you when they pick you up and where. Winery was a nice spot with amazing view (and cheese and wine :hearteyes:)

Tour guide is only in the bus with you any way ,then they drop you in Oia and tell you when they pick you up and where. Winery was a nice spot with amazing view (and cheese and wine :hearteyes:)

Can we walk to the winery? Sounds awesome!!

BTW, we have been looking at MSC and I see that you have sailed them - how did you like it?

Santorini is a beautiful island. Oia is nice but very crowded and there is so much more to see. We did a tour with Iliana from Santorini Wine Trails and loved every minute. We went to 2 wineries and had an amazing lunch at one of them but we also went to a black beach for a calm, and peaceful cup of coffee and beautiful walk, the peak of Mt Prophet Elias and the Faros lighthouse. We loved exploring the cliffs around the lighthouse with no crowd. We also went to Fira and Oia. We loved every minute of the day and were glad to see the beautiful island away from the crowds.

Can we walk to the winery? Sounds awesome!!

BTW, we have been looking at MSC and I see that you have sailed them - how did you like it?

I don't think you can walk there. It was part of our excursion . Regarding MSC ...I love them, specially smaller ships but many Americans don't . If you like good and fun entertainment, if you don't think the only good food is food in your local restaurant, if you don't jump overboard if someone cut you in line in buffet, you will like MSC. ;p

ships tours usually tender to a separate pier where the large coaches can get down via a steep winding road[think its called Athionos]

everyone else tenders to bottom cliff at Fira where get to top via cable car,walk up steps or take donkey up same path

In our experience tenders to both were running at same time so private /DIY didn't have to wait till ships tours had departed

we met our private tour guide at top by cable car station and had a comprehensive tour of island including black sand beach.traditional houses built into cliffs,winery as well as trip to Oia

Both ships tours and DIY were dropped off at top of cable car in Fira at end of day-tender back from Athionos not available

that means long lines for cable car/tenders as everyone trying to get down cliff at same time

I don't think you can walk there. It was part of our excursion . Regarding MSC ...I love them, specially smaller ships but many Americans don't . If you like good and fun entertainment, if you don't think the only good food is food in your local restaurant, if you don't jump overboard if someone cut you in line in buffet, you will like MSC. ;p

I went ahead and booked the "Oia on Your Own" to get the preferred tender. Once done there (about an hour and a half walking around on your own) we are taken back to Fira. I was hoping there might be a winery in Fira.

I have been dying to try MSC. Love good and fun entertainment, I and my family are definitely adventurous foodies and LOL - if someone cuts in front me I am usually inclined to return the favor! :'):evilsmile: Thanks for the first hand info!

ships tours usually tender to a separate pier where the large coaches can get down via a steep winding road[think its called Athionos]

everyone else tenders to bottom cliff at Fira where get to top via cable car,walk up steps or take donkey up same path

In our experience tenders to both were running at same time so private /DIY didn't have to wait till ships tours had departed

we met our private tour guide at top by cable car station and had a comprehensive tour of island including black sand beach.traditional houses built into cliffs,winery as well as trip to Oia

Both ships tours and DIY were dropped off at top of cable car in Fira at end of day-tender back from Athionos not available

that means long lines for cable car/tenders as everyone trying to get down cliff at same time

Can you walk down or take a donkey down instead of waiting for a cable car?

Can you walk down or take a donkey down instead of waiting for a cable car?

Yes in fact lots of people walk down

There aren’t S many donkeys going back down and apparently it’s a bit of a scary ride as you are looking out over low walls to sea below!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes in fact lots of people walk down

There aren’t S many donkeys going back down and apparently it’s a bit of a scary ride as you are looking out over low walls to sea below!

Oh, Ok. That would do it for me - I am afraid of heights so I will likely be better off walking down! :eek:

You rarely see cruisers using donkeys to go down..and for good reason. It can be scary enough going up. DW and I once had two donkeys that decided to race (each other) and my Donkey also decide to see if he could scrape my left leg against the rough stone wall (which would have torn off most of my skin). It took all my strength (pulling on the reins) to show the Donkey who was the real boss (probably the Donkey). No way would I want to do it coming do down.

Hank

You rarely see cruisers using donkeys to go down..and for good reason. It can be scary enough going up. DW and I once had two donkeys that decided to race (each other) and my Donkey also decide to see if he could scrape my left leg against the rough stone wall (which would have torn off most of my skin). It took all my strength (pulling on the reins) to show the Donkey who was the real boss (probably the Donkey). No way would I want to do it coming do down.

Hank

Hank

you give a lot of good advice on these forums and whenever I read one I will forever have a picture in my mind of a man versus donkey battle:D:D

Hank

Thanks Hank, I will definitely take your advice (as I did on our 2016 cruise as well) you are a real asset to these boards! Thank you!!

Thanks!

I would recommend you to rent a scooter or quad and enjoy Santorini yourself!

I would recommend you to rent a scooter or quad and enjoy Santorini yourself!

Some friends of ours are doing exactly that. My son and I have booked Oia on Your Own for 8:00 am through the cruise line. I generally avoid cruise line excursions, but this will (supposedly) get us priority tender and then transport to Oia where we will have 1.5 hours to wander on our own before being transported back down to Fira.

Once back in Fira, we plan to take the bus to the Santo Winery for a tasting and then to just "hang out" on the terrace for a bit. After that we will still have a bit of time to wander around Fira before heading back to the ship. We are fortunate in that we have 11 hours in port.

Some friends of ours are doing exactly that. My son and I have booked Oia on Your Own for 8:00 am through the cruise line. I generally avoid cruise line excursions, but this will (supposedly) get us priority tender and then transport to Oia where we will have 1.5 hours to wander on our own before being transported back down to Fira.

Once back in Fira, we plan to take the bus to the Santo Winery for a tasting and then to just "hang out" on the terrace for a bit. After that we will still have a bit of time to wander around Fira before heading back to the ship. We are fortunate in that we have 11 hours in port.

You can’t just head back to the ship. You still have to take the cable car or walk the path. Keep that in mind

You can’t just head back to the ship. You still have to take the cable car or walk the path. Keep that in mind

Yes, I am aware of that. We will likely walk the path and then catch a tender back to the ship. The beauty of being there for such an extended period is we can likely have a couple of hours in each spot and still have time to spare :)

Can you walk up the steps in Santorini and if so how long would it take?

Yes, you can walk. The time will depend on how fast you walk :) but it will take most folks 25-40 min. Keep in mind that much of the walk is on the same path as the donkeys...which means you need to be careful where you step :). I would add a personal observation that on most of our cruises (and we have been on far more than 100) we notice most passengers using the ship's elevators...even if they are going up or down one or two decks. Climbing up to Fira would be akin to walking from the lowest desk to the highest...many times. I routinely walk 8-12 miles a day for fun (and exercise) but have not had much desire to walk up to Fira.

Hank

Can you walk up the steps in Santorini and if so how long would it take?

Taking cablecar up doesn’t seem to be that big an issue once you’ve tendered off the ship. The issue is returning down. I had the thought of walking down as an emergency backup plan. Thank goodness we didn’t need it. But it all depends on how many ships are in port and how late your ship is staying

Taking cablecar up doesn’t seem to be that big an issue once you’ve tendered off the ship. The issue is returning down. I had the thought of walking down as an emergency backup plan. Thank goodness we didn’t need it. But it all depends on how many ships are in port and how late your ship is staying

Fortunately for us we have a pretty long time in port. What is it about walking down that you did not want to do?