What to do in Grand Turk?

joseph123

Any suggestions on things of interest to do for a one day cruise stop? From photos I can find, Grand Turk seems kind of barren and remote except for the commercialized Margaritaville area at the cruise ship port. Most of the resorts seem spread out on the other islands of the Turks and Caicos. I guess my question would be should I just resign myself to a beach day at Margaritaville or is there anything of interest to so on the island or any resorts that would be easily accessible and worth a visit. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Any suggestions on things of interest to do for a one day cruise stop? From photos I can find, Grand Turk seems kind of barren and remote except for the commercialized Margaritaville area at the cruise ship port. Most of the resorts seem spread out on the other islands of the Turks and Caicos. I guess my question would be should I just resign myself to a beach day at Margaritaville or is there anything of interest to so on the island or any resorts that would be easily accessible and worth a visit. Any suggestions would be helpful.

It depends on what you personally find of interest. There is not a huge amount of "culture" on an island 7 miles long and with a population that doubles when a ship docks, but you might find some things of interest in Cockburn Town, the capital of Turks and Caicos, located to the north of the cruise center.

There is a commemorative site for John Glenn's Friendship 7 Apollo splashdown recovery, which took place at GT, and on the northern tip there is a nice lighthouse.

There are few resorts on GT, and those that are there cater mostly to the international diving community.

There are less commercialized places to go than M'Ville also; I recommend Jack's Shack, just a bit north along the beach.

Thanks much, sounds like you pretty much outlined everything the island has to offer. Not sure what I was expecting, but I see why they needed to develop a more commercialized attraction like Margaritaville. Any recommendation for the best beach to visit away from the commercialized area but accessible for a day trip?

Thanks much, sounds like you pretty much outlined everything the island has to offer. Not sure what I was expecting, but I see why they needed to develop a more commercialized attraction like Margaritaville. Any recommendation for the best beach to visit away from the commercialized area but accessible for a day trip?

Rent a golf cart and spend your time out away from the tourist trap at Margaritaville. Ride up to Governor's Beach, the lighthouse, grab lunch at Jack's, and just enjoy your day. It's a wonderful place!

Yep, Governor's Beach is a pretty good bet. It's undeveloped, but fairly close to the cruise terminal and reportedly has really good snorkeling. If visiting a beach is your only desire, you can get there without renting a golf cart; you'd just walk north (i.e., to the left) out of the cruise terminal area on the road.

You'll have seen Governor's Beach as you approached for docking: it's right behind a half-sunken shipwreck that you'll see towards shore. To the right is a small commercial pier, and then along the shore, Jack's Shack, some other places, and then Margaritaville to the left of the cruise pier. It's fairly compact. You cannot walk along the beach under the commercial pier, so you'd have to go out to the road to get to Governor's Beach.

As mentioned two major options.

We have done both.

We went out to the parking lot and negotiated with a guide/driver for a three hour tour of Grand Turk. We did get out to the former military base and saw the light house, visited downtown which is relatively small, saw the entire island and made a few other stops.

If you are doing a lot of touring at other islands it can be a great places just to relax at the beautiful beach right at the port.

If you are there most of the day you could do both.

Keith

I don't know. I have been to many Caribbean islands but this one does not seem all that appealing to me. Should have researched this cruise stop further before booking. Thanks for posting all of these pics, they really give a good overview of what there is to see and do there.

I don't know. I have been to many Caribbean islands but this one does not seem all that appealing to me. Should have researched this cruise stop further before booking. Thanks for posting all of these pics, they really give a good overview of what there is to see and do there.

It’s not an “active” port which personally I enjoy. Going on our 4 stop there. We’ve mostly DIY but one time we did the Ultimate Snorkeling thru Carnival and enjoyed going out to The Wall. Hope you enjoy your time there.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone might know the cost to rent the golf carts in Grand Turk? Will be there in Feb. and just trying to figure out what to do while we are there. Thanks for any info given.

They're about $90 at each place for the day. HOWEVER, you're going in a month, so they are probably all rented out by now. You can check though. Wet Money, MaxKart, Karib & Nathan's are the vendors. I know some of the carts were ruined by the storms this past year and even prior to them being ruined, they were all booked up months in advance previously.

Anyone have a suggestion for a non-ship snorkeling excursion? I'd love to see the wall and other stops too.

Appreciate any advice!

We used White Sands and were happy. We did the Supreme Snorkel tour that went to a shallow reef, then to the wall, diving for conch and to Gibbs Cay for snorkeling with the stingrays. The guides took the conch and made fresh conch salad and we got to keep the shell as a souvenir.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums