Modifying original trip.

Gert2011

Hi All.

I bought insurance through Travel Guard for a trip originally in Sep-Oct 2018 for 27 days for two b to b cruises back in May. Finally was able to purchase flights and we decided we would cancel the 1st of the back to back cruises which shortened our trip to 14 days. I went to their website and modified our trip from 27 to 14 days, keeping the $ amount of insurance the same and they sent an email saying we owed $2.76.

I emailed back trying to get a logical answer why, they didn't have one. So I emailed back asking;

So if you actually start your travel on a later date than you insured for and ended your travel before the date you insured for, you wouldn't be covered?

Their response;

To answer your question, in the event where you would need to file a claim, we will ask for documentation regarding your trip. If there are discrepancies with the information provided compared to the information we have on file for your policy, it could result in issues regarding your claim or even a denial of the claim.

Would you like us to charge the card on file for the $2.76?

I responded back, yes, charge my card for $2.76.

But the question still lingers, Why you wouldn't be covered if you are traveling during the time frame of the original contract?????????????????

Any ideas you very smart people?

An extra $2.76 isn't a big deal, but we have often bought a cruise quite a few months before the cruise and we have added a couple days before the cruise and after since we didn't have air fare purchased yet and didn't know the exact days of the length of our trip. I've never modified a trip before after we got it finalized even though the exact leaving time and coming home time wasn't correct but within the insured time frame.

BUT, I've never had a claim in 42 cruises and this is the first cruise that we have canceled and I hope to never have a claim.

Edited by Gert2011

But the question still lingers, Why you wouldn't be covered if you are traveling during the time frame of the original contract?????????????????

The main reason is that that is what you agreed to when you purchased the insurance initially, that all the details of the trip must be accurate in order to be covered.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.