DSD for family in which port: Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya

mitsugirly

We are a family of 3 and both adults have done Discover Scuba 3 times so far. We also have a 9 year old who is a certified PADI Seal and completed her certificate almost a year ago, scuba dives every month, and has also done 3 ocean scuba dives. In 2 months (prior to our cruise), she will complete her PADI course and become a Jr PADI Seal. (Oh the excitement). :D

Anyhow...we have been trying to do a DSD (she has went with us on the last 2 dives) on each cruise/vacation that we have.

We will be heading to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya on our next cruise. We are looking for suggestions on which place would be best for us.

Remember...we are Discover, so not looking for "Belize is the most amazing because it sits on the barrier reef". So, some of these "amazing places" will not fit our family and skills at this time. We need easy beach entry and it's always nice to find a bay or calm area if possible. Of course we want to "see something" and like interesting, but it needs to be somewhat of an easy dive and access for us.

Give me your suggestions of which port would be best for us and if you have any suggestions on which vendor to use would be nice as well. Thanks in advance.

I would vote Roatan, every dive site in Cozumel will be boat access only and drift dives. Have fun!

we are going on the Getaway in November and diving in Roatan and Cozumel.

on a side note I see she is 9 now, I think discover classes are a 10 year minimum age. hopefully she has a birthday before the cruise.

I'd strongly recommend Gypsea Divers in Costa Maya (Mahahual). Catherrine and Abel have young children themselves, and the beach and reef there are well suited to a Discover Dive. www.gypseadivers.com

Harris

Denver, CO

Thank you so much. I'm glad you posted this. I have definitely been looking at this place and contacted them last week. Catherine seems like such a nice lady and super quick to respond with any of my questions/concerns. She also said she would take us out personally. My only issue it, it is a boat dive and that scares me a little...well a lot. I'm not sure how I would do with a boat dive. She did say it's only in 20' of water along the reef...my issue is getting used to the breathing underwater and not being able to stand up if I have an issue. :(

Thank you so much. I'm glad you posted this. I have definitely been looking at this place and contacted them last week. Catherine seems like such a nice lady and super quick to respond with any of my questions/concerns. She also said she would take us out personally. My only issue it, it is a boat dive and that scares me a little...well a lot. I'm not sure how I would do with a boat dive. She did say it's only in 20' of water along the reef...my issue is getting used to the breathing underwater and not being able to stand up if I have an issue. :(

I think once you do it, you'll realize the boat is actually easier to deal with than shore diving. Their boat is a small one, and you can pretty well bet you'll be the only divers on the boat with Catherine and the Captain. I totally understand that right now the idea of the boat is intimidating, but once you do it, you'll have a lot of fun. Indeed Mahahual has lots of shallow reefs where you'll be able to see a good variety of coral and life on a Discover Dive.

Harris

Denver, CO

I think once you do it, you'll realize the boat is actually easier to deal with than shore diving. Their boat is a small one, and you can pretty well bet you'll be the only divers on the boat with Catherine and the Captain. I totally understand that right now the idea of the boat is intimidating, but once you do it, you'll have a lot of fun. Indeed Mahahual has lots of shallow reefs where you'll be able to see a good variety of coral and life on a Discover Dive.

Harris

Denver, CO

Yes, they have already told me we would be the only one with them (especially due to having a young child with us).

The boat part isn't really intimidating (as in jumping off or whatever)...it's not being able to stand up if I freak out. I just picture in my head jumping off the boat, floating in the water, letting air out of the bsc, going under, freaking out ...then trying to get back up. That's my issue. I know she said that we would "practice" in the shallow area of the beach and do our skills first, but that's usually my time to get use to the water and breathing and feeling comfortable about it. But, after the skills, we will get back out of the water, into the boat and out to the scuba area, therefore...having to get used to the breathing again and that's what I'm freaking out about. Ugh...I wish I could get over this.

All except Belize offer good shore diving options. Diving near the mainland in Belize until the nearby islands which I love is not so good.

According to what people in Costa Maya are telling me, there is no good shore diving and must be reached by boat. Are you saying differently?

I think we are trying to figure out something for Roatan and doing a Discover Scuba at West Bay. But, we are having a bit of a problem finding someone so far.

• 5 weeks later...

Not sure of availability of DSD, but we dive with the following ops whenever we cruise to their ports. Definitely worth contacting them to check for availability.

Costa Maya: Doctor Dive

Roatan: Coconut Tree Divers

Great people in both places, tell them Irene & Bob sent you!

We always dive with the ship in Belize, too far for really good diving on your own.

No experience with shore diving in Coz, don't think there's much available.

Thanks for all the replies.

We have decided to dive in Roatan and we have booked with Bananarama and diving at West Bay. :D

DD and DH did a dive package with Bananarama, while I did their snorkel package (since I can no longer dive:mad:). They had two great dives, while I enjoyed snorkeling in "the kidney". Their equipment was in good condition. Enjoy your time here. It is my favorite place to snorkel

Have a great time. We will be diving there on Nov.14th off the Getaway.

Awesome. Have a great time. We will be there the following day on the 15th.

DD and DH did a dive package with Bananarama, while I did their snorkel package (since I can no longer dive:mad:). They had two great dives, while I enjoyed snorkeling in "the kidney". Their equipment was in good condition. Enjoy your time here. It is my favorite place to snorkel

That's great to hear! :D

• 1 month later...
Look at Sun Divers in Roatan. I booked with them for November 14th. On their website they offer discover Scuba. Minimum age 10

Mal was great to work with.

Squabbit -- How was your experience with Sun Divers in Roatan? I am looking to do a reef snorkeling trip by boat, and I noticed that Sun Divers offers either a 1 or 2 stop snorkel package. I think you did scuba, but just hoping for information about your experiences with them.

I want to do a boat snorkel trip, but I don't want to be at the same location as the divers. I don't enjoy floating on the surface of the water, trying to look 40 feet down to see the coral and fish. My vision is just not THAT good. I like to be closer to the action. Those kinds of trips are just a total bust for me.

Anyone have any suggestions for reef snorkeling on Roatan for me? We are booked on the cruise excursion to Rendevous Island with snorkeling at the reef when we stop in Belize (thanks Mitsugirly). The offshore snorkeling is usually so much better. Oh yes, and no kids. Just hubby & I for the snorkeling. Our adult daughter is PADI certified and will probably do a 2 tank dive. But it would be nice if we could all hang out at the same beach/facility after we come off the boats.

Squabbit -- How was your experience with Sun Divers in Roatan? I am looking to do a reef snorkeling trip by boat, and I noticed that Sun Divers offers either a 1 or 2 stop snorkel package. I think you did scuba, but just hoping for information about your experiences with them.

I want to do a boat snorkel trip, but I don't want to be at the same location as the divers. I don't enjoy floating on the surface of the water, trying to look 40 feet down to see the coral and fish. My vision is just not THAT good. I like to be closer to the action. Those kinds of trips are just a total bust for me.

Anyone have any suggestions for reef snorkeling on Roatan for me? We are booked on the cruise excursion to Rendevous Island with snorkeling at the reef when we stop in Belize (thanks Mitsugirly). The offshore snorkeling is usually so much better. Oh yes, and no kids. Just hubby & I for the snorkeling. Our adult daughter is PADI certified and will probably do a 2 tank dive. But it would be nice if we could all hang out at the same beach/facility after we come off the boats.

Even though our recent trip didn't pan out because of all the rain and the waves were crashing too bad...I still say you should probably all go to West Bay. The shore snorkeling is supposed to be some of the best and you can also dive there at the same spot (but go out deeper). Check with Bananarama about it. Others on here would also confirm about West Bay and how awesome the snorkeling is.

The weather was really bad, but sun divers moved their boat to the other side of the island and they searched for the best visibility to dive. We had 2 amazing dives! All I can say is Sun Divers went above and beyond. Can't wait to go back and spend a week there. First class dive operation.

Hi Mitsu,

Know it is a day late and dollar short at this point but for future reference when you do a Boat dive they will generally pick up a mooring ball and attach to the boat during the dive. You use the line from it as a “down line” once in water and control your descent by gripping or releasing as you want, so whether it’s you getting used to breathing or your daughter having trouble clearing her ears ( if memory serves me right) you are not drifting or floundering around as feared lol. The advantage to the Boat is you are not expending energy to swim out from the shore with the wave action pushing you back into land .

And before a self proclaimed “expert” decides to weigh in about no down line in drift diving etc. this applies to a dsd situation as you asked about.

Hi Mitsu,

Know it is a day late and dollar short at this point but for future reference when you do a Boat dive they will generally pick up a mooring ball and attach to the boat during the dive. You use the line from it as a “down line” once in water and control your descent by gripping or releasing as you want, so whether it’s you getting used to breathing or your daughter having trouble clearing her ears ( if memory serves me right) you are not drifting or floundering around as feared lol. The advantage to the Boat is you are not expending energy to swim out from the shore with the wave action pushing you back into land .

And before a self proclaimed “expert” decides to weigh in about no down line in drift diving etc. this applies to a dsd situation as you asked about. ��

Yep, a little late, but still good to know. We ended up doing a boat dive in Roatan and it was AMAZING! We used the line to hold on to in order to do our skills and then down we went. I actually loved it because I was busy focusing on all the amazing things under me that I didn't get as nervous this time around. The children (x2) went down on the other side. I don't think they had a line but they don't have issues with getting used to the water and breathing either.