Help! I want to snorkel but I have a high prescription

kimmie6067

Help! Going on a cruise in January and I was thinking I could just wear the snorkel mask over my glasses. I wanted to buy prescription ones but the highest is +4.50 I need at least a +6.00 I really would like to see some fish. My prescription is +5.50 right +7.00 left. Anyone have any experience or ideas please

Divers Direct sells a 'build it yourself' mask system. You buy a certain mask and lens inserts that you replace the plain ones with are available up to +8 (1.5 up on .5 steps) [do note that water magnifies a bit on its own so folks with mild prescription often need no help ... you may want to drop a half ....]

The frame is $28 and each lens is $30 (now on special for $25)

http://www.diversdirect.com/scuba-diving/scuba-gear/scuba-mask-snorkel-fins/scuba-mask/prescription-mask?limit=all

the downside is of course buying online you can't try on for fit and a mask that leaks because of poor fit is useless ... BUT dd has been using this mask for years with no problems and she has several hundred dives on hers - she did a college fellowship at CocoView resort in Roatan .... mapping coral health and seahorse counting!

Dunno where you are but Divers Direct has several locations between Orlando and Key West. This system is their 'house brand' EVO and we've bought several items from them, masks, boots, wetsuits.

enhance

p.s. dd and dw normally dive with contacts if that's an option for you. with soft disposables it is perfectly safe.

Edited by Capt_BJ

Go to your optometrist. S/he can take care of it for you, and will know how to properly prescribe the mask, because water acts as a magnifier and your numbers will be different than in your glasses.

Help! Going on a cruise in January and I was thinking I could just wear the snorkel mask over my glasses. I wanted to buy prescription ones but the highest is +4.50 I need at least a +6.00 I really would like to see some fish. My prescription is +5.50 right +7.00 left. Anyone have any experience or ideas please

I got mine from Amazon brand name is Promate $56 but for farsightedness they only go up to +4

I understand you need a stronger prescription but a mask with +4 is better than a mask with no magnification, the mask is well made and fits my needs of +2 and +2.5

For a one time snorkeling tour I can't see spending what your prescription will cost, my son is scuba diver and he paid over $400 for a prescription similar to yours

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My wife has a prescription mask but when she first started snorkeling she luckily found that an old pair of glasses with the temples removed fit inside a regular snorkel mask (one with a single large glass rather than one for each eye) but I agree that a prescription mask will work better. As I recall the Divers Direct price you'll pay about $50 for the mask and $25 for each Rx lens so rough order of magnitude Neill be about $100.

My wife has a prescription mask but when she first started snorkeling she luckily found that an old pair of glasses with the temples removed fit inside a regular snorkel mask (one with a single large glass rather than one for each eye) but I agree that a prescription mask will work better. As I recall the Divers Direct price you'll pay about $50 for the mask and $25 for each Rx lens so rough order of magnitude Neill be about $100.

Unfortunately Divers Direct and the company I suggested only go up to +4 for farsightedness, for nearsightedness they go -1 to -10 and the OP is farsighted just like me but his is more severe

Whatever you do, don’t get a prescription mask using a bifocal prescription! This is what my husband did 13 years ago. He still uses the mask but right away he realized he shouldn’t have given the mask company a bifocal prescription. Live and learn...

I bought my mask with +4 I was told that with no RX it's already magnifies 25% so at least when I go to pet a shark I will be able to see it, lol:D

That is my thinking and why I suggested a +4 for an inexpensive mask, in your case it has to be better than a plain no prescription mask

enhance

p.s. dd and dw normally dive with contacts if that's an option for you. with soft disposables it is perfectly safe.

I've never seen an octopus on a dive. She maybe several feet behind, but I'd be afraid to get that close, saw one video of an octopus locking on to a mask.

I've never seen an octopus on a dive. She maybe several feet behind, but I'd be afraid to get that close, saw one video of an octopus locking on to a mask.

oh yes ... she was 'that close' .. that's dd ... don't be afraid ..... be aware ...... and she had a buddy that was ALSO aware ....... taking the shot

that the Octo did not scoot away immediately is what's MOST amazing ......

Edited by Capt_BJ