Partial transit: which cruiseline?

SharonK

We are planning to do the partial Panama Canal transit February 2019. We have narrowed it down to Island Princess or HAL Zuiderdam. We normally sail Celebrity. When comparing the itineraries HAL offers only a ha

F day in Cartagena and half in Colon. Do we need more time in these ports? Has anyone done both of these cruises and how would you compare them?

We are planning to do the partial Panama Canal transit February 2019. We have narrowed it down to Island Princess or HAL Zuiderdam. We normally sail Celebrity. When comparing the itineraries HAL offers only a ha

F day in Cartagena and half in Colon. Do we need more time in these ports? Has anyone done both of these cruises and how would you compare them?

Let's talk about Colon... the stop in Colon is only to pick up passengers who took shore excursions from Gatun Lake. The way this works is the ship will lock through Gatun Locks first thing in the morning. After clearing the Locks the ship will go to the Gatun Lake Anchorage. At this point those passengers who are taking a shore excursion in Panama will tender ashore and begin their excursion. While they are on their excursion the ship will lock back down Gatun Locks and make the short trip to Colon. Colon is where the passengers on excursions will rejoin the ship. There isn't enough time to do any shore excursion while the ship is in Colon. There is actually ample time for any tour you would choose. Just a reminder, you have to take a ship's tour at the Gatun Lake stop.

While the stop in Cartagena is short, it is probably enough time since most of tours don't require a lot of travel time to get to the attractions.

Let's talk about Colon... the stop in Colon is only to pick up passengers who took shore excursions from Gatun Lake. The way this works is the ship will lock through Gatun Locks first thing in the morning. After clearing the Locks the ship will go to the Gatun Lake Anchorage. At this point those passengers who are taking a shore excursion in Panama will tender ashore and begin their excursion. While they are on their excursion the ship will lock back down Gatun Locks and make the short trip to Colon. Colon is where the passengers on excursions will rejoin the ship. There isn't enough time to do any shore excursion while the ship is in Colon. There is actually ample time for any tour you would choose. Just a reminder, you have to take a ship's tour at the Gatun Lake stop.

While the stop in Cartagena is short, it is probably enough time since most of tours don't require a lot of travel time to get to the attractions.

So the choice is to either get off at Gatun Lakes, do and excursion rejoining the ship in Colon, or stay on the ship throughout that day? Is that correct? Which do you recommend?

So the choice is to either get off at Gatun Lakes, do and excursion rejoining the ship in Colon, or stay on the ship throughout that day? Is that correct? Which do you recommend?

These questions are discussed frequently down the board. Only ship's excursion pax are allowed off the ship in Gatun Lake. No independent touring.

Some will say if you want to see any more of the Canal, you have to tour. And there are some different excursions, like the Embera Indian excursions. Others will say seeing the Canal itself is the whole point, and stay on the ship.

You are correct, your choices are to take a ship's excursion or stay on the ship while it locks back down Gatun Locks and proceeds to Colon. While staying on the ship can be enjoyable, I think in this case it is a bit counterproductive. For one this option will only provide you with an introduction to the Canal. You will have experienced on 8 miles of a 50 mile Canal. While the trip back through the Locks and the short trip to Colon certainly is interesting I don't think it is worth seeing twice in the same day;). The staying on the ship option is great for folks who have previously experienced the Canal.

If you have come to see the Canal I think tour that takes you through the Pacific Locks and Gaillard cut on a smaller vessel is an excellent choice... not only will you see a large part of the Canal that has a lot of visual features, the passage through Gaillard Cut is historically significant since that is where the majority of the excavation took place. Slicing through hills over 400' is a monumental task even today, let alone some 130 years ago when the French started pecking away at it. Experiencing the locks on a smaller boat gives you a completely different perspective than what you experienced going through on the cruise ship.

Just incase you are not as diehard of a Canal fan as I am, there are some other very worthwhile tours. A vist to Embera Indians is highly thought of... many equate this tour to something out of Nat Geo, then there is the tour that takes you to see the three Panama Cities. First you have Panama Viejo (Old Panama), then Casco Antiguo, sometimes referred to as Colonial Panama. Casco Antiguo is where Old Panama was relocated to after Henry Morgan conducted his version of urban renewal! Then there is modern Panama City that filled in everything between. If anyone in your group is a railroad buff then a ride on the world's first transcontinental railroad maybe the ticket.

That is just some of the more popular tours, Panama has a lot to offer, go see some of it!!

You are correct, your choices are to take a ship's excursion or stay on the ship while it locks back down Gatun Locks and proceeds to Colon. While staying on the ship can be enjoyable, I think in this case it is a bit counterproductive. For one this option will only provide you with an introduction to the Canal. You will have experienced on 8 miles of a 50 mile Canal. While the trip back through the Locks and the short trip to Colon certainly is interesting I don't think it is worth seeing twice in the same day;). The staying on the ship option is great for folks who have previously experienced the Canal.

If you have come to see the Canal I think tour that takes you through the Pacific Locks and Gaillard cut on a smaller vessel is an excellent choice... not only will you see a large part of the Canal that has a lot of visual features, the passage through Gaillard Cut is historically significant since that is where the majority of the excavation took place. Slicing through hills over 400' is a monumental task even today, let alone some 130 years ago when the French started pecking away at it. Experiencing the locks on a smaller boat gives you a completely different perspective than what you experienced going through on the cruise ship.

Just incase you are not as diehard of a Canal fan as I am, there are some other very worthwhile tours. A vist to Embera Indians is highly thought of... many equate this tour to something out of Nat Geo, then there is the tour that takes you to see the three Panama Cities. First you have Panama Viejo (Old Panama), then Casco Antiguo, sometimes referred to as Colonial Panama. Casco Antiguo is where Old Panama was relocated to after Henry Morgan conducted his version of urban renewal! Then there is modern Panama City that filled in everything between. If anyone in your group is a railroad buff then a ride on the world's first transcontinental railroad maybe the ticket.

That is just some of the more popular tours, Panama has a lot to offer, go see some of it!!

Thank you so much Bill for your suggestions. It is exactly what I was looking for! I appreciate you taking the time to offer assistance.

Bill is your experience with Princess or HAL?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unless you are REALLY into "all things Canal", a partial is a great way to experience the Panama Canal, without the hassles of a cross country flight.

The transit into Lake Gatun and out again IS an excursion unto itself......no real need for a pricey, long excursion. All take about 5-7 hours....and being on the ship when the excursion folks leave is pretty damn nice! All the stuff you missed going INTO the lake because of crowds will be easy to see on the way out. It's a win-win to stay on the ship!

Bill is your experience with Princess or HAL?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As far as cruise ships, it has been Royal Caribbean. Now I have made transits both full and partial on tugs, freighters, bulk carriers, container ships as well as cruise ships... even tried to paddle through the Canal once. That did not work out so well.:eek: I won't mention the numerous partial transits I made in my own boat... I guess I just did mention it;). I lived there and worked on the Canal, so therein is the reason for my interest and enthusiasm all things Canal and Panama.

All the cruise lines that offer partial transits with excursions operate in the same manner, ie. ship's excursions only from Gatun Lake.