Best Camera System for Antarctica/ Patagonia "Newbie"

notjaded

Such great information! Thanks! We'll be boarding a cruise ship doing the same route in 3 days. While I don't have a weatherproof camera, I'll be taking lots of plastic protection.. hoping that it won't be pouring at the Penguin colonies. (although the weather report looks pretty bad)

Love the picture of the Penguins and the ship that was posted!

You may not be aware that it doesn't actually rain in Antarctica. It's the driest continent on the planet.

It does snow and that is where you need protection for your camera, and more so on the zodiacs where you can cop a lot of splashing and also whale snot if you are lucky to have one surface nearby. Have a cloth handy to wipe that off a lens straight away because it dries like superglue.

If you are carrying any kind of plastic bags or similar for your camera do ensure they are tethered to yourself or the camera strap well. It only takes a second of inattention and a gust of window to catch it and blow it overboard where it risks being swallowed by a penguin, seal or whale.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are going to Antarctica, and I want to obtain a camera system for this bucket-list trip. I hope you can help identify options for me.

Situation:

While I have not used an advanced camera in about 45 years, I used to handle good equipment as a photographer for my college newspaper. How much do I remember of the basics? Only a bit.

In the more recent years, I have had an array of small point-and-shoot cameras. Currently, a Cannon PowerShot Elph 310HS. I have not really studied up on the manual that much, as I only pull it out occasionally when using my Iphone camera might lead to the loss of my Iphone clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

I want to get a camera and lens that would be optimal for shooting nature in Antarctica and Patagonia. I desire to be able to take high resolution pictures that I can blow up and mount on the walls of my house (if any come out great).

Given that I don't care to develop a hobby as a photographer, and don't desire to keep lugging a larger camera around on other trips, this might be a one-off.

So, I called my local camera rental place and asked how much a good camera system would cost to rent for a month. They quoted me $750.00. They said that would be for renting $5000 of equipment.

I would appreciate any advice that you might be able to provide to this "newbie." Is there a great and simple camera/lens out there that I could buy for less than a $1000 that would give me really high resolution pictures suitable for enlarging and mounting? Other options?

Many thanks!

The idea of renting is a really good one except for one problem. You will be getting a lot of really complex equipment right before you leave and you will not have any time to learn to use it. The equipment will be capable of taking great photos but will you end up with any good keepers?

Here is another slightly strange idea. Since you have considered renting, you are obviously willing to pay for good equipment just for the trip. I don't know how much of a loss you would end up with but how about buying whatever you feel that you need and then selling it as barely used after the trip. The shutter count wll be low and you can show the potential buyer the sales slips to verify that the camera is almost new. You could even show the buyer the shutter count to prove it.

This will give you time to learn to use the equipment and maybe even take a class or so before you leave.

I know how much Antarctica trips cost and I know how much the value of the photos that I took mean to me.

You have 3 ways to sell the equipment at the end of the trip. EBay, B&H or K&H and on Craigs list. Don't try it on eBay. Selling it to B&H or K&H will be easy but you will get less You have to be a bit careful with Craiglist but if you meet in a public place and take cash you will be OK. If my buyer wants to pay b check, I have also met the buyer at my bank where I cash their bank check immediately before I give them the equipment.

On the other hand, you may decide to keep some or all of the equipment.

Hope this helps.

DON

The idea of renting is a really good one except for one problem. You will be getting a lot of really complex equipment right before you leave and you will not have any time to learn to use it. The equipment will be capable of taking great photos but will you end up with any good keepers?

Here is another slightly strange idea. Since you have considered renting, you are obviously willing to pay for good equipment just for the trip. I don't know how much of a loss you would end up with but how about buying whatever you feel that you need and then selling it as barely used after the trip. The shutter count wll be low and you can show the potential buyer the sales slips to verify that the camera is almost new. You could even show the buyer the shutter count to prove it.

This will give you time to learn to use the equipment and maybe even take a class or so before you leave.

I know how much Antarctica trips cost and I know how much the value of the photos that I took mean to me.

You have 3 ways to sell the equipment at the end of the trip. EBay, B&H or K&H and on Craigs list. Don't try it on eBay. Selling it to B&H or K&H will be easy but you will get less You have to be a bit careful with Craiglist but if you meet in a public place and take cash you will be OK. If my buyer wants to pay b check, I have also met the buyer at my bank where I cash their bank check immediately before I give them the equipment.

On the other hand, you may decide to keep some or all of the equipment.

Hope this helps.

DON

You take a big loss going from new to used. But having just switched systems — you are onto something.

Buy used in the first place. Then when you sell it just a few weeks later, you barely take a loss. You may lose some shipping costs, PayPal fees, etc.

But you can basically get a 1-2 month rental, for 10-20% of the cost of buying new. Ends up cheaper than renting for such a long period.

On the other hand, if you buy new and then re-sell, you could be looking at a 30-50% loss.