Should I Rent Scooter or Wheelchair or Bring my Own Scooter

Hello fellow cruisers.I was diagnosed with MS about 5 years ago and my mobility has diminished to the point that I can no longer walk moderate/long distances.I contacted a couple of companies regarding a scooter rental for our upcoming cruise and the quotes I received were almost the cost of the purchase price of my scooter.I would like to bring it but I am worried that it might be too much of a logistical inconvenience regarding checking it as checked baggage with JetBlue and taxi trips to and from the airport etc.Maybe I should just rent a wheelchair.I would prefer my own scooter but not sure it's worth the hassle.Any advice on this would be appreciated.Thanks,Andy.

Hello fellow cruisers.I was diagnosed with MS about 5 years ago and my mobility has diminished to the point that I can no longer walk moderate/long distances.I contacted a couple of companies regarding a scooter rental for our upcoming cruise and the quotes I received were almost the cost of the purchase price of my scooter.I would like to bring it but I am worried that it might be too much of a logistical inconvenience regarding checking it as checked baggage with JetBlue and taxi trips to and from the airport etc.Maybe I should just rent a wheelchair.I would prefer my own scooter but not sure it's worth the hassle.Any advice on this would be appreciated.Thanks,Andy.

It's a personal decision as to what best works for you.

The scooter does not nor should be check through as luggage. You should ride the scooter directly to the gate. The gate agent will tag it. You will than drive it down the jetway to the plane's entrance . The ground crew will than take it and place in the cargo haul specially used for gate checked items. At the destination the ground crew will retrieve the scooter and it will be waiting for on the jetway as you come off the plane.

If embarking from a USA Port all major cruise lines will provide lift accessible transportation for fee on both embarkation and disembarkation days only. If you're doing a pre or post cruise hotel you'll have to use a taxi. Most airport shuttle services provide accessible transportation if arranged in advance. If the hotel provides shuttle service to/from the airport and or to/from the port that doesn't have lift than per ADA the hotel has to arrange accessible transportation to you. If that service is free to the abled-body than it's has to be free to you and he hotel absorbs the full cost. If the service has a fee than the hotel can only charge you the same fee and they have to absorb the additional cost.

I have been traveling with my Go Go Elite scooter for over 9 years. My scooter has gone to more then 43 countries and I've not experienced any hassles. You might have a wait a bit longer for a scooter ready taxi at airports, but I've not waited more than 20 minutes at the busiest times. I've been on 11 cruises with my scooter and have not encountered hassles, except for finding scooter friendly excursions off the ship.

As XXOO has said, you don't luggage check your scooter. I drive mine down the jetway, right up to the plane's doorway, and then I use my canes to get to my seat. The luggage guys will carry your scooter down to the luggage hold and they will bring it back up to the jetway at the end of your flight.

I hope you have an accessible cabin for your cruise because the big hassle comes in if your scooter doesn't fit in your cabin.

Not sure what companies you checked with but my wife has MS and we usual rent a wheel chair wide for comfort from Care Vacations great rates and insurance and service so that if it breaks the meet you and provide a new one never had any issues with them we usual come in a day earlier use the wheel chair service at the airports and when we arrive at our hotel of choice it is waiting when were heading home we just leave it in the cabin and the cruise provides a wheel chair service on and off the ship

My 2 cents: Take your own scooter. You're familiar with it. You don't pay the rental cost.

Check out the DOT's info on airline's requirements when taking a scooter on a plane. There is much info on the ADA rules for accommodation in air travel. Don't get hung up on the 'hows, whys, and what ifs' of taking your scooter. You'll find that it is all very easy and for the most part, the airlines are very helpful and are required to assist you.

Likewise, cruise lines are also very helpful in accommodating.

I don’t have experience with airports and scooters (yet) but I have had experience with my walker both good and good in the end. It has never been a hassle and airlines in all kinds of places have been respectful and very helpful. I have used my walker to the gate and I have checked in and with all but one instance it worked well. The one time it didn’t I am happy to report that the airline did everything they could to repair the problem and were gracious throughout the process. In hindsight I was probably as much at fault for the part that broke but at the time I didn’t know. I had left my folding basket on the walker and the attachment point broke. Rough handling broke it, but if I had removed the basket then it wouldn’t have broken. So although it happened I don’t hold the airline totally responsible. Anyway, I now use a scooter and I would bring my own any day over renting. I know what it can and can’t do with it how the battery lasts and how it charges. I know it warts and all and when I travel it will travel too. If the rental rate is as much as the scooter then I would take it and if you have to replace it then you are not too far out of pocket (unless you are talking about out of pocket after insurance costs the that is different). Speaking of insurance would your home insurance cover it if it were damaged? If it were me in your position and based on how I was treated when my walker was damaged I wouldn’t hesitate to take it flying with me. Have a wonderful trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2 cents: Take your own scooter. You're familiar with it. You don't pay the rental cost.

Check out the DOT's info on airline's requirements when taking a scooter on a plane. There is much info on the ADA rules for accommodation in air travel. Don't get hung up on the 'hows, whys, and what ifs' of taking your scooter. You'll find that it is all very easy and for the most part, the airlines are very helpful and are required to assist you.

Likewise, cruise lines are also very helpful in accommodating.

Actually its the USA Department of Transportation's Air Carrier Act that applies when flying with a disabilty and not ADA

Link https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/passengers-disabilities