Sydney Opal card

The train ride itself costs the regular fare, BUT you are charged a steep "station access fee" because the stations are basically run by a private company.

Actually they're run by the government as with the rest of the network now. Just they charge a fee for those as premium stations.

The stations are great though. It's a pity the rest of the network wasn't built to that standard. You can see the design of Wolli Creek which was built at the same time but by the government as the contrast of bad design and little funding.

Incorrect. Sydney OPAL cards for interstate Australian Seniors are valid for 60 days from the date of issue. I got one in May when I visited Sydney and now have to get another one when I visit Sydney again in February 2018. Why they are only valid for two months is a mystery to me. One would think that it would cost the Department of Transport a lot of money for processing and mailing every time that someone has to apply for a new one.

That's really weird. The Melbourne MYKI concession cards (which are the ones out of state seniors are eligible for) are valid for ... forever? But then I never expect the NSW state government to come up with sensible ideas, after all it took them about three times as long as anywhere else in the world to implement the Opal system. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just wanted to mention something about the card.

When we tried to purchase it out of the machine I used my credit card but we don't use pin numbers so I was unable to use it. We did have local currency so I used that instead and all worked well.

Keith

I just wanted to mention something about the card.

When we tried to purchase it out of the machine I used my credit card but we don't use pin numbers so I was unable to use it. We did have local currency so I used that instead and all worked well.

Keith

Thanks for the heads up on this. Our credit card also does not have a pin.

Does anyone know if we will be able to go inside Central Station to purchase Opal Cards using our credit card? I hate to order our cards online before our arrival, but also don't want to chance having this problem. Thanks.

Does anyone know if we will be able to go inside Central Station to purchase Opal Cards using our credit card? I hate to order our cards online before our arrival, but also don't want to chance having this problem. Thanks.

Yes, you can buy an Opal Card at Central Station (Grand Concourse, upstairs) with a credit card. They don't take cash.

Ask your bank can ou get a PIN.

I really liked that Opal Card.

Very easy to use since you just tap it.

Wish other countries would adopt a similar card that is so easy to use.

The locals will know better but on Sundays there is a deal on the ferry. Am I right you can take it as much as you want for a maximum amount for the day.

Loved the ferries and the buses.

Keith

The locals will know better but on Sundays there is a deal on the ferry. Am I right you can take it as much as you want for a maximum amount for the day.

There is a daily fare cap of $15.40, no matter how many trains, buses or ferries you use on that day (excluding trains to the airport terminals). This applies Monday to Saturday. On Sunday the daily cap is a mere $2.60!

There is a daily fare cap of $15.40, no matter how many trains, buses or ferries you use on that day (excluding trains to the airport terminals). This applies Monday to Saturday. On Sunday the daily cap is a mere $2.60!

Thank you. I had thought our daughter said $2.60. We took advantage of that on Sunday after we arrived. That's very nice.

Keith

Yes good point.

I was thinking of the tap feature but maybe other places have that too.

For people like me it makes it "dummy" proof. ;p

Keith

As long as you remember to tap off, I’ve heard some disaster stories from folk who didn’t.

As long as you remember to tap off, I’ve heard some disaster stories from folk who didn’t.

Yeah, not really "dummy proof".

It's not so much an issue with trains in the city. But with buses, where there's no barrier, or train stations in the suburbs where there's just a pole, and similarly with ferry stations, if you're not aware it's easy to walk right on past without touching the reader. (I've also had cases where I have touched, but it doesn't apparently register, so you have to call them up. Though they appear to have upgraded software and that's less of an issue lately.)

And then you're charged the maximum fare for that journey!

Ask your bank can ou get a PIN.

Thanks. I asked for a PIN before our last trip. The only PIN that they will issue is to enable a cash advance on the credit card. I definitely don't want a cash advance.

Yeah, not really "dummy proof".
It can be a bit of an issue anywhere that uses contactless cards. I occasionally get caught out on the DLR in London, especially when using an entrance or exit that doesn't have an obviously-sited reader (sometimes a particular problem if you use the lift to access the platform and that's a long way from the nearest reader), or when getting distracted by something. Fortunately, I only have to own up to one of these (and ask to be refunded) about once every couple of years.