Timing between LaGuardia and Newark

teachatthebeach

It's been almost 14 years since I've flown internationally, so I'm not sure about timing at international terminals. For seasoned travelers out of New York, does this time frame seem OK?

I am looking at a direct Southwest flight out of Tampa at 2:35 in the afternoon and arriving at LaGuardia at 5:15. We would then take a car service to Newark for an 11:00 PM flight on Norwegian airlines flying direct to Spain.

I have miles on SW so we can fly free to LaGuardia. The SW flights from Tampa to Newark have really long stops/layovers, so we don't want to do that.

Any thoughts, advice, suggestions?

Thank you!

... I am looking at a direct Southwest flight out of Tampa at 2:35 in the afternoon and arriving at LaGuardia at 5:15. We would then take a car service to Newark for an 11:00 PM flight on Norwegian airlines flying direct to Spain.

I have miles on SW so we can fly free to LaGuardia. The SW flights from Tampa to Newark have really long stops/layovers, so we ...

What day of the week/time of the year is this ? ... What is the on-time arrival performance data for this SW flight, is there a backup flight that depart or you can switch to in case @ Tampa if it is no go ?? Keep in mind, delays aren't often called for 2 to 3 hours, while sitting at a designated parking/hold area and you can't just open the jetbridge door & walk back inside the terminal - and run for the alternate flight; and, what about checked luggage - most int'l trips involve more than a 22" rollerboard & a personal bag.

How much extra connection time & thru or hub-city are your options to EWR ? Assumed you are doing one way & returning via other means.

I am sure you know that LGA to EWR airport transfer by car service during the evening rush hour has a surcharge and prone to congestion delays on local roads, highways & airport shuttle to lots, etc. Between base fare, surcharges, tolls & tips - you are looking at $100 to $125 or more ... not all Uber drivers are familiar with airport transfers & you do NOT want to be lost together on the "clock" as it's being run down to cutoff. Most int'l flights have a 3 hours recommended arrival time to get checked in, go thru security screening, etc. before proceeding to the gate. Both airports are on the top 10 lists for air traffic, FAA and ground stop delays. Expect & plan for a minimum of 2 hours to 2.5 hours to connect between the airports + time at LGA for luggage, shuttle on the Green route to the pickup lot for meeting the driver & car service.

Do you have full travel/trip interruption insurance ? since this is most likely 2 different & separate booking/reservation confirmation not ticketed together, delays are on your own with Norwegian Air, correct ? so you are not protected on the SW segment for missing the oversea departure.

Put it this way, the timing and window for a smooth connection isn't good and not within my personal comfort zone - I won't do it, no matter what.

Fully understood that nobody liked flying for long hours & making multiple connections - but, what time can you get into EWR ... backup flight connections in case; and, can you fly in earlier in the day, to allow plenty of time in case.

Are you doing this on June 9? If so, I'm seeing nonstop flights from Tampa to EWR for $98.30 on United and Jet Blue. United has 4 non stop flights.

Your prime objective is to make the Norweigian flight. Forget your "free" flights on SW and the costly transfer from LGA to EWR. Reduce your stress and spend the extra money (about $75) for peace of mind and fly directly to EWR early enough tomesure you make the Norweigian flight.

The scary part about all of this is flying on Norwegian. I recommend that you read a bit about them and their practices. It’s not an airline that I would fly on, no matter how cheap the flight may be.

If you are still dead set on flying on Norwegian, they do fly into Orlando. Are there any flights from there that would allow you to stay on one airline and avoid the New York area altogether?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's been almost 14 years since I've flown internationally, so I'm not sure about timing at international terminals. For seasoned travelers out of New York, does this time frame seem OK?

I am looking at a direct Southwest flight out of Tampa at 2:35 in the afternoon and arriving at LaGuardia at 5:15. We would then take a car service to Newark for an 11:00 PM flight on Norwegian airlines flying direct to Spain.

I have miles on SW so we can fly free to LaGuardia. The SW flights from Tampa to Newark have really long stops/layovers, so we don't want to do that.

Any thoughts, advice, suggestions?

Thank you!

Isn't there an earlier Tampa flight? IF this is during the week, I suggest you look elsewhere.

I fly nonrev so am used to unusual connections, but, if connecting to long- single day flights, I've been known to leave on my first available and just getting to the final departing airport very early. I always want at least another flight available for me.

I suggest you consider this mode- big problem is- there is NO connection between these two flights. Norwegian Air is super low cost, and won't care- or give you any leeway if Southwest has a delay or cancellation. You may have specific policies in place that you have to follow, if you want to keep any value for your ticket and don't be surprised if no flights for days, or more costs involved.

Thank you all for confirming what my intuition was already telling me--the times were too close.

Our Norwegian flights were booked back in October, so I'm not going to change those. The new plan is to fly into LaGuardia the night before (June 4), car service to Newark, spend the night in a Newark Airport hotel (I have enough credit card points so it will be free), spend some time in the city on June 5, and arrive plenty early for our flight that evening.

Budget Queen--I read many of your posts when I was planning my cruise to Alaska. Your advice was very helpful! Thank you for sharing your expertise! I'm so happy to see you post on the Europe boards as well.

Thank you all for confirming what my intuition was already telling me--the times were too close.

Our Norwegian flights were booked back in October, so I'm not going to change those. The new plan is to fly into LaGuardia the night before (June 4), car service to Newark, spend the night in a Newark Airport hotel (I have enough credit card points so it will be free), spend some time in the city on June 5, and arrive plenty early for our flight that evening.

Budget Queen--I read many of your posts when I was planning my cruise to Alaska. Your advice was very helpful! Thank you for sharing your expertise! I'm so happy to see you post on the Europe boards as well.

Sounds like a plan. Do you have Hilton points? The Newark Penn Station Hilton is connected to Newark Penn Station by a skywalk. This gives you direct access to NJ Transit to go to midtown Manhattan or PATH to go to the World Trade area downtown. The hotel also has a free airport shuttle. Staying in downtown Newark will cut your travel time to NYC in half.

Have a great trip. I go between LGA and JFK occasionally. and it's best to have extra time.