Small waterproof camera for Alaska

I'd appreciate suggestions of a small waterproof camera to take on an Alaska cruise - something that I won't have to worry about getting wet on zodiac and kayak excursions. I'd like one that's easy to use - not planning on great works of art, but something to help with remembering the trip and to post pictures for family and friends on Facebook and G+.

I don't want to take my phone even in a waterproof enclosure and risk that not working due to leaks or losing it in the water.

I looked at past threads but they seemed more focused on something that would work well underwater for snorkeling.

Hopefully you’ll find something that has some good specs as well as being waterproof. I wonder by looking for something specifically waterproof that you may be compromising other important functions because of the additional cost of waterproofing. You will regret it if you don’t get some kind of zoom, not sure a 4x or 5x will be enough for Alaska.

I go out kayaking and exploring via the zodiacs most seasons and have never had a problem with my camera gear getting wet. Although, rain is another issue altogether. I do carry a dry sack just in case.

Good Luck finding the right camera. Maybe someone will jump in here with a perfect suggestion.

I look forward to reading about your Windstar trip.

I had never had a waterproof camera until we did the Northwest Passage cruise two years ago.

This involved zodiacs and different weather conditions.

I have to tell you that I regret purchasing it.

I just found the quality to be so so even though it was a nice camera and as Glaciers mentioned it had limitations.

I ended up using my DSLR camera plus a point and shoot camera so I would recommend the latter which will fit into your jacket and can easily be held.

You can also put it in a ziplock bag and in our case I also did have a special bag to keep it as well just in case.

Keith

I had never had a waterproof camera until we did the Northwest Passage cruise two years ago.

This involved zodiacs and different weather conditions.

I have to tell you that I regret purchasing it.

I just found the quality to be so so even though it was a nice camera and as Glaciers mentioned it had limitations.

I ended up using my DSLR camera plus a point and shoot camera so I would recommend the latter which will fit into your jacket and can easily be held.

You can also put it in a ziplock bag and in our case I also did have a special bag to keep it as well just in case.

Keith

What was the quality issue? Was the waterproof worse picture quality than your point and shoot? If so, which waterproof camera so I'll know what to avoid. I realize that it won't have much zoom.

Willing to live without much zoom for what I take on the kayak. I want something that will be light and small - not a burden to carry with me. It's been a long time since I searched for a camera as I'm usually content with the one on my phone. I've been assuming that a DSLR will be larger than I want.

I'd appreciate suggestions of a small waterproof camera to take on an Alaska cruise - something that I won't have to worry about getting wet on zodiac and kayak excursions. I'd like one that's easy to use - not planning on great works of art, but something to help with remembering the trip and to post pictures for family and friends on Facebook and G+.

I don't want to take my phone even in a waterproof enclosure and risk that not working due to leaks or losing it in the water.

I looked at past threads but they seemed more focused on something that would work well underwater for snorkeling.

I use a Nikon CoolPix. Waterproof, shock proof. Takes great pictures both in and out of the water. Has a nice zoom. I'm not sure I would want to blow one if its pictures up much bigger than 18 x 24, but it is perfect for what 99.9% of the people do with their photos.

Water was not an issue on my Alaska trip. I killed my camera with a crumb from a granola bar that was in my bag lunch on the Seward Fjord tour. It ruined the automatic lens cover. I used that camera and my cell phone. A ziplock in the pocket is great if it starts raining.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What was the quality issue? Was the waterproof worse picture quality than your point and shoot? If so, which waterproof camera so I'll know what to avoid. I realize that it won't have much zoom.

Willing to live without much zoom for what I take on the kayak. I want something that will be light and small - not a burden to carry with me. It's been a long time since I searched for a camera as I'm usually content with the one on my phone. I've been assuming that a DSLR will be larger than I want.

It was an Olympus.

Downsides included very limited telephoto capabilities, bulky, limited pixels, and limited capabilities.

If you want good quality photos to me it's not the way to go.

I quickly abandoned it and went with my trusted point an shoot cameras and still took my DSLR many times. I have a waterproof back pack and for the point and shoot could also use a ziplock bag.

If it was drizzling I still could take photos and if it was pouring my wife could hold an umbrella above me.

I have been to Alaska many times and never considered an underwater camera. Only reason I got one was for our cruise of the Northwest Passage and as I said for me it was a big mistake.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Nikon Coolpix w300 for snorkeling and took it to Alaska last year. Its an excellent camera for what its made to do.

My go to camera for Alaska and a few other places was a Nikon Coolpix P900. I got tired of dragging around lenses, the image quality is excellent and the zoom is amazing

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/tg-5.html

The Olympus TG-5 seems to be the consensus way to go.

https://www.lifewire.com/best-waterproof-cameras-493678

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-waterproof-cameras,review-2194.html

It has 4x zoom. Can do RAW so if conditions are really bad, you can edit them later (RAW gives you a lot more leeway to edit than JPG). Improved sensor for lower light conditions. Dual pane lens to prevent fog from quick climate changes (like your warm pocket to outside in the cold).

Costco sells it too, so if you don't like it, easy return.

If I’m interpreting the OP’s posts correctly, happy to normally use phones camera, not interested in deep water photography, just to post to facebook for friends etc. I’m making a big assumption here, probably not really bothered about post processing with RAW or spending a great deal on a camera that wont be used too often. Maybe the best solution is the best budget option suggested on the lifewire review that codex provided the link for, the Panasonic Lumix TS-30.

I have the Olympus TG-4, it’s a good camera for what its for, I wanted to take pictures of stingrays and coral etc so definitely underwater. However before I bought it I took an SD card to a local retail outlet and took test photos with it, I also took photos with the Panasonic TS-30 for comparison, they were certainly ok. I suggest you do this new_cruiser and decide whether the huge difference in cost is worth it for your needs. I will echo other posts that suggest a normal travel zoom with a good telephoto is a good option, easily held, pocketable once a zodiac slows to let you take pictures there’s no splashing, but if its pouring with rain or you roll in a kayak, that’s a different matter.

Depending on your budget, a Fuji XP series camera you can get at Costco, or a Yi action camera would work. The action cameras have the advantage of hands free mounting. If it is within your budget, it is hard to beat a GoPro model with voice or waterproof remote activation. Another hands free mounting option is to adapt a small waterproof point and shoot to a GoPro mount. You can find the parts at Amazon. They all have wireless transfer.

If I’m interpreting the OP’s posts correctly, happy to normally use phones camera, not interested in deep water photography, just to post to facebook for friends etc. I’m making a big assumption here, probably not really bothered about post processing with RAW or spending a great deal on a camera that wont be used too often. Maybe the best solution is the best budget option suggested on the lifewire review that codex provided the link for, the Panasonic Lumix TS-30.

I have the Olympus TG-4, it’s a good camera for what its for, I wanted to take pictures of stingrays and coral etc so definitely underwater. However before I bought it I took an SD card to a local retail outlet and took test photos with it, I also took photos with the Panasonic TS-30 for comparison, they were certainly ok. I suggest you do this new_cruiser and decide whether the huge difference in cost is worth it for your needs. I will echo other posts that suggest a normal travel zoom with a good telephoto is a good option, easily held, pocketable once a zodiac slows to let you take pictures there’s no splashing, but if its pouring with rain or you roll in a kayak, that’s a different matter.

That's a pretty accurate summary of my goals. However, I'm not super price sensitive and care more about keeping the size/weight down and about ease of use. I'm retiring shortly before the trip and expect that there will be other trips to follow where I would use the camera so not bothered about buying something in the Olympus TG-4 price range. The smaller size and weight of the Lumix TS-30 is attractive if I went waterproof.

The responses have persuaded me that I should probably look more at a pocketable camera to save size and weight and get more zoom compared to the waterproof models.

I'm not planning on rolling the kayak. The water will be pretty cold in Alaska so if I end up in the water, there will be other concerns beyond the camera. Kayaking will be in fjords, so pretty calm water and not much chance of rolling it by accident. Pouring rain may happen but I guess I'll just do my best to keep it sheltered then until the cloud burst ends.