Regent Flights - with and without deviation

Travelcat2

susar, It is important to note that Regent does not use the least expensive flights*. It is also not true that you always have to arrive the day of embarkation. If you are in a concierge or above suite, you arrive the day before embarkation and stay in an included hotel. You receive transportation to the hotel and from the hotel to the ship.

if you have a TA that regularly books Regent, they can give you an fairly accurate idea of what airlines will be used if you wait util 75 days out.

Getting into specifics, I did a search for fights from LAX to Barcelona. There are no non-stop flights. The shortest flights with one stop are with KLM, United, Air France, American Airlines, American Airlines operated by British Airways and Lufthansa. Regent does have contracts with most of these carriers (it can change year to year). Then we go to Yapta.com to see the flights that are offered (there are other sites where the can be done - I just prefer Yapta). I select the flights that we are most interested in. Next we go to seatguru.com and check out the seating for the flights that we like (looking at whether or not they have flatbed seats, etc.)

Assuming that we want to deviate at 270 days before the embarkation (highly recommended) and once we have the flight(s) figured out, we send our top 2-3 fights to our TA who runs them by Regent. Most of the time our preferred flights are approved. Alternatively, you can call Regent Air directly and run your flights by them.

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

NOTE: I would definitely look for fights that have their one stop out of the U.S. From what I checked out, the only airline listed above that has a stop in the U.S. is United. A stop in the U.S. means a coach flight that we avoid if at all possible. All international flights on Regent are Business Class.

*On our upcoming flights to Vancouver to Bali on Cathay Pacific - one of the top airline in the world - we booked ourselves due to the very high air credit offered by Regent. We booked the exact flights that Regent will be using. The flights are definitely not the least expensive but rather is probably the best airline to use in that area. Our flight returning from Hong Kong is non-stop.

Wow, looking at flights this will not be a simple business class flight to Barcelona! :confused:

susar.

We Just sailed regent Barcelona to venice 10/4. We Used regent air and was quite pleased flew air france SFO to CDG.to BCO Liked AF and the A380 which was not the newer interior but was good for us. Paris to Barcelona was ok as inter Europe first/business is just a vacant middle seat. On the return flew British airways venice to heathrow to San Francisco. Liked AF better food and seats!! No problems with connection times even with an 75 min in cdg!! All went well....Long days but worth it!!

Staysealee,

Thanks for your AF note. We are scheduled on AF from Dulles to Barcelona via CDG and our connection is about 2 hours. Nice to know that we have a shot of making it. We are going in a day early and there are a lot of flights from CDG to Barcelona so we have options if needed. Coming back on United from Rome. TA arranged these flights via Regent. We took deviation to stay in Rome an extra 4 days.

Did you take Regent bus from Barcelona to port? What time did you all arrive at the ship to embark?

Melissa

Thanks for your AF note. We are scheduled on AF from Dulles to Barcelona via CDG and our connection is about 2 hours. Nice to know that we have a shot of making it. We are going in a day early and there are a lot of flights from CDG to Barcelona so we have options if needed. Coming back on United from Rome. TA arranged these flights via Regent. We took deviation to stay in Rome an extra 4 days.

Did you take Regent bus from Barcelona to port? What time did you all arrive at the ship to embark?

Melissa

I think it was about 1pm ish stayed at the grand central hotel. Nice rooftop bar pool views. close to the port. You can check in with regent the day before as there was a rep in lobby, real easy no lines or crowds..for us.

Melissa

I think it was about 1pm ish stayed at the grand central hotel. Nice rooftop bar pool views. close to the port. You can check in with regent the day before as there was a rep in lobby, real easy no lines or crowds..for us.

Thanks for the info about the Grand Central Hotel. That is where we are staying in April, too. Was there anything interesting nearby that you enjoyed? Sights, dining?

We paid for deviation and are scheduled on Delta, MSP to CDG, with 2 hr and 15 min layover before AF connection to Barcelona.

you can spend the first day just walking the gothic quarter, the hotel is right there great location for us. both sides of the street, pick an alley and go. When we were there, the day of the referendum vote to succeed and the next day=days were the protests. no problems other than we booked some tours ahead with Barcelona day tours that were cancelled due to protests so we didn't see familia and the museums but it is just a great city to walk around, drink and eat!!

Hi gjkov, Gaudi's La Sagrada Familia is the best sight I have ever visited. I actually cried when I entered the church, it is that beautiful You can go to the website: Sagradafamilia.org and order tickets for a specific time. We did this and it worked great. We had a guide and had a headset that made it really easy to hear the guide and wander on our own somewhat. When we were there, the regular line for admittance was completely around the block. Advance tickets are the way to go! I have been to Barcelona 5 times and this tour was by far the best thing I did in Barcelona. By the way, we will be on this cruise too!

Hi gjkov, Gaudi's La Sagrada Familia is the best sight I have ever visited. I actually cried when I entered the church, it is that beautiful You can go to the website: Sagradafamilia.org and order tickets for a specific time. We did this and it worked great. We had a guide and had a headset that made it really easy to hear the guide and wander on our own somewhat. When we were there, the regular line for admittance was completely around the block. Advance tickets are the way to go! I have been to Barcelona 5 times and this tour was by far the best thing I did in Barcelona. By the way, we will be on this cruise too!

Thanks for the information. Sounds like a lovely place! I’ll definitely look online.

Look forward to meeting you onboard!

you can spend the first day just walking the gothic quarter, the hotel is right there great location for us. both sides of the street, pick an alley and go. When we were there, the day of the referendum vote to succeed and the next day=days were the protests. no problems other than we booked some tours ahead with Barcelona day tours that were cancelled due to protests so we didn't see familia and the museums but it is just a great city to walk around, drink and eat!!

Thanks! Can’t wait to visit Barcelona!

• 3 weeks later...

We always handled our own air, but a cruise we are considering next year has us thinking we might want Regent flights.

If you deviate, are you able to fly in a few days earlier if desired (or stay a few days longer at the end of the cruise)? How about flying into a nearby city instead of the embarkation port city?

We always handled our own air, but a cruise we are considering next year has us thinking we might want Regent flights.

If you deviate, are you able to fly in a few days earlier if desired (or stay a few days longer at the end of the cruise)? How about flying into a nearby city instead of the embarkation port city?

Yes to all.

Not necessarily yes to all. You can definitely stay early and leave later but you would be wise to check with Regent Air or your TA regarding flying into a nearby city (assuming that you will do your own transportation to the port).

Paying the deviation we have flown to a different country two weeks early, then stayed 3 days after our cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As has been said, it is really up to what the airlines will or will not allow. Regent has to follow their guidelines/rules.

I'm curious ...... when you say that you flew to a different country two weeks early, how did you get from "there" to the ship? Another fight (assuming the same airline)? And, did Regent arrange this for you once you paid the deviation?

Just trying to learn as much as possible so that I can give accurate, up-to-date information about Regent air deviation.

Thanks much!:D

We booked our own flight. Regent covered the Business Class from Toronto to Hong Kong. We toured Hong Kong and Cambodia on our own. Found our way to Singapore for the cruise.

We booked our own flight. Regent covered the Business Class from Toronto to Hong Kong. We toured Hong Kong and Cambodia on our own. Found our way to Singapore for the cruise.

Thanks for the clarification! Sometimes responding to "air" questions can be difficult - even though we regularly sail on Regent and do deviate almost all of the time. It is an interesting subject - one that I seem to learn new things about all of the time!

We are sailing September 2018 - London to Barcelona. I asked about flying from Madrid about a week after our cruise and the most direct flights.

The deviation was $1300 for both of us to fly home from Madrid 7 days after the end of the cruise - we'll take the train from Barcelona to Madrid on our own.

They charged us the $175 (i think) pp and the difference in the air fare.

We are sailing September 2018 - London to Barcelona. I asked about flying from Madrid about a week after our cruise and the most direct flights.

The deviation was $1300 for both of us to fly home from Madrid 7 days after the end of the cruise - we'll take the train from Barcelona to Madrid on our own.

They charged us the $175 (i think) pp and the difference in the air fare.

SMBruner - we are on the same cruise in September and will also be taking the train to Madrid for a couple days. We did not take the airfare and chose to take the credit instead.

• 2 weeks later...

This may a new deviation question for you, TC. We will be doing a transatlantic cruise to Lisbon early next year. We want to spend a couple of weeks or so in Europe before returning to Lisbon for the return flight. Will Regent go for this under its deviation policies? Thanks

This may a new deviation question for you, TC. We will be doing a transatlantic cruise to Lisbon early next year. We want to spend a couple of weeks or so in Europe before returning to Lisbon for the return flight. Will Regent go for this under its deviation policies? Thanks

Should not be a problem. Just have your TA ask at the 270 day mark. Also, you don't necessarily have to return to Lisbon for the flight home. There have been reports of people returning from different locations than the debarkation port with a deviation.. Probably need to be a reasonable distance but, never hurts to ask and your TA could probably ask before the 270 day mark so you can get that deviation in right at that point and get the flights you want from the best location for you.

This is a rather unique question. While Regent will likely go for this, it always depends upon the airline. If it costs extra money to depart from a different airport, you likely will have to pay it.

You don't have to wait until the 270 day mark (which you can calculate by going to this site https://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadd.html ) - simply call your TA or Regent Air and speak with them. Let us know what they say. This way you can plan your trip and will be ready to deviate at the 270 day mark.

Assume that you will be on the beautiful Explorer? We have done two Explorer transatlantic cruises with another booked next year. We are rather addicted to that ship:D

This is a rather unique question. While Regent will likely go for this, it always depends upon the airline. If it costs extra money to depart from a different airport, you likely will have to pay it.

You don't have to wait until the 270 day mark (which you can calculate by going to this site https://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadd.html ) - simply call your TA or Regent Air and speak with them. Let us know what they say. This way you can plan your trip and will be ready to deviate at the 270 day mark.

Assume that you will be on the beautiful Explorer? We have done two Explorer transatlantic cruises with another booked next year. We are rather addicted to that ship:D

Thanks TC. Yes, the Explorer it is. Just to clarify: The deviation we want is for time (return date) only. The in-country flights we will cover ourselves using points with no Regent involvement. I will talk to our Agent.

I am considering a European cruise in 2019 in a Penthouse suite..

I would be flying from LA to Europe and back. If I understand what I have read here, Regent could have me flying coach to and from the east coast and business for only the transatlantic portion.

To avoid this, I have two options. I can take the Regent air credit, which is only $2500 per person and book my own air. However, because I am flying from LA, business class airfares (I arbitrarily picked October since the cruise is more than 11 months out) are almost twice as high as the credit.

I also have the option of filing a deviation request 270 days from the date of my return flight (not my departing flight -- is this right?). At that time my travel agent would submit my preferred flights (which I would make sure don't include a change of planes in the U.S,) to Regent. It could accept one and charge me the deviation fee and the difference. As long as the difference is less than $2,000, I would probably save money going this route although I wold give up some flexibility.

I guess my questions are has anyone had a really high differential fee, like $1500 or more? And has anyone heard of Regent just rejecting all of someone;s preferred/suggested flights?

Any thoughts and/or opinions would be appreciated.

I would be flying from LA to Europe and back. If I understand what I have read here, Regent could have me flying coach to and from the east coast and business for only the transatlantic portion.

To avoid this, I have two options. I can take the Regent air credit, which is only $2500 per person and book my own air. However, because I am flying from LA, business class airfares (I arbitrarily picked October since the cruise is more than 11 months out) are almost twice as high as the credit.

I also have the option of filing a deviation request 270 days from the date of my return flight (not my departing flight -- is this right?). At that time my travel agent would submit my preferred flights (which I would make sure don't include a change of planes in the U.S,) to Regent. It could accept one and charge me the deviation fee and the difference. As long as the difference is less than $2,000, I would probably save money going this route although I wold give up some flexibility.

I guess my questions are has anyone had a really high differential fee, like $1500 or more? And has anyone heard of Regent just rejecting all of someone;s preferred/suggested flights?

Mostly correct. The 270 days is from departure since the minimum time for flights opening is approx 330 days with some foreign airlines close to a full year so with those extra approx 60 days except for an extremely long itinerary enough time to book both departure and return. Have never heard of upcharges in the $2K area so you should be good there. Really doubt Regent would reject ALL preferred/requested flights as the differential could do that with you rejecting. Regent will keep working with you on the deviation until they find one you accept if they can't do your choice at a reasonable price.

As far as coach across the US then Business across the Atlantic, a way to beat the coach is to specify US carrier who most of the time give you First across the US. Not always but, usually. Have to fly the same airline or possibly code shares. Flew to Auckland several years ago in Business on Qantas for the trans pacific with United to LAX and got upgraded on United to First. Had to waitlist when booking but, 2 upgrades came thru. Staying on United have always gotten First domestically.

Good luck and remember, you don't pay the current $175 pp until you reach agreement, no agreement, no payment.

Hi - I am a long time Regent cruiser and deviate fights frequently. I also was raised in Los Angeles and am familiar with fights into and out of LAX. In my opinion, it is important to get current information as things change on Regent annually.

Like you, we tend to use pretend dates since some flights are too far out. While things can change, the airlines that we typically use to avoid stops within the U.S. to Europe are Lufthansa and British Airways. We tend to avoid U.S. based airlines for many reasons - one of which is that they typically stop in the U.S.

Another consideration is the Business Class seats that the flight you are interested in has. For instance, I was looking at flights to deviate this week and saw that the same airline had both "flat" and "slanted" Business Class seats. We strongly prefer flatbed seats. So, once we find flights that we are interested in, we use seatguru.com - put in the "proposed" or "pretend" flight number(s) to see exactly what equipment they are using for the flights that we are interested in.

Once you approach 270 days (you can get the exact date on this website https://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html ). We look at real flights and make at least two choices which we email to our TA (side note: using a TA who regularly books Regent is important as you can get a percentage off of your cruise). While you can call Regent directly, In my opinion, it is much easier to let your TA deal with Regent. After all, they are looking out for your best interest.

Last week we did a 50% deviation (i.e. we used Regent to book a flight to Barcelona - took a 50% air credit and booked our own flights back from Miami since Regent would put us on a Coach flight and we booked a First Class fight). Note: Whether you do a full deviation or a 50% deviation, the $175/person applies. Despite British Airways strange seat set-up, the seats are flat and comfortable. On the other hand, Lufthansa has flat seats that are less comfortable but had a better arrival time (they also have better food and service in our opinion). Our TA had us booked through Regent within two hours of the deviated fights opening!

Hope that this is not too much information. There are other airlines that are okay - KLM sometimes does not have a stop in the U.S. but some planes may still have slanted Business Class seats.

Regent contracts with some wonderful air carriers. Next month we will be going to Asia and were able to get Cathay Pacific (an amazing airline). They also contract with Emirates but you need to be going to where they fly.

Good luck with your deviation! Am really curious as to which ship you will be on.