Perth: Top Rating for 2018!

TLCOhio

From the CNN cable news in late December, they had this headline: best places to visit in 2018 with these highlights regarding Perth: Oft overlooked in favor of Sydney and Melbourne, Perth seems to have finally hit its stride. For starters, the coastal city is better connected than ever, gearing up to welcome the first direct flight linking Australia to Europe next year. New developments and hotels are popping up all over town. Among the fresh faces is the ultra-cool Aloft Perth. The city's building on its lively night market and dense restaurant scene -- now offering more eateries per capita than both Sydney and Melbourne.

Lots of details and ideas are offered in this profile. They also noted: "Don't miss: The artsy port town of Fremantle is where Australia's Little Creatures Brewing got its start. "

When we go back to Australia, we need to have some time for doing Perth and these western areas. Sounds like great fun and very interesting.

Full CNN story at:

http://www.cnn.com/travel/article/places-to-visit-2018/index.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 192,879 views for this posting.

Terry, Thanks for posting this! Our Solstice cruise on March 5 embarks from Fremantle . . . we're arriving 2 days before and staying in Perth . . . probably not adequate time, but I know we'll enjoy it!

Appreciate these nice and excellent follow-ups from Jennifer and Keith. Things are getting closer for us to be in the "general zone" near Australia. Just a little over a week till we depart on Jan. 21 in going to Hong Kong, Bangkok, Vietnam, Cambodia, etc. Bad, cold weather is coming this weekend to Ohio, the Midwest, NE USA, etc. Some temperatures in the 88F range will be a nice and improved change for the better.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 221,659 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thanks for the post, Terry. We'll be cruising Australia later this year and have a stop in Freemantle.

Way too many things to choose from to do. Will be hard fitting it into one day

Who are you sailing to SE Asia with? We are thinking about Uniworld next year.

Thanks for the post, Terry. We'll be cruising Australia later this year and have a stop in Freemantle. Way too many things to choose from to do. Will be hard fitting it into one day. Who are you sailing to SE Asia with? We are thinking about Uniworld next year.

Hi, Diane!! Best wishes for your Aussie sailing later this year. For SE Asia, we will be using Avalon Waterways. Why? Three main reasons. Their ship rooms are larger, nicer and with a water-facing type of balcony set-up. Only 18 rooms on the ship, making things more "personal". Avalon is tied in with Globus which gets us very good guides and other options for doing Hanoi, Bangkok, Hue, etc. Not cheap, but the overall "package" fits our interests and satisfied our desires for more of an "immersion" experience to better connect with the people and culture of this area. Other questions?

THANKS for your follow-up and good question! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 36,511 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Hi, Diane!! Best wishes for your Aussie sailing later this year. For SE Asia, we will be using Avalon Waterways. Why? Three main reasons. Their ship rooms are larger, nicer and with a water-facing type of balcony set-up. Only 18 rooms on the ship, making things more "personal". Avalon is tied in with Globus which gets us very good guides and other options for doing Hanoi, Bangkok, Hue, etc. Not cheap, but the overall "package" fits our interests and satisfied our desires for more of an "immersion" experience to better connect with the people and culture of this area. Other questions?

This is funny.... just before I came back to the forum I was checking Avalon itineraries. Great options.

Terry, I would love to continue talking about SE Asia but don't want to hijack this thread. Do you mind continuing via email? My address is my user id at gmail. Thanks!

This is funny.... just before I came back to the forum I was checking Avalon itineraries. Great options. Terry, I would love to continue talking about SE Asia but don't want to hijack this thread. Do you mind continuing via email? My address is my user id at gmail. Thanks!

Hi, Diane!! Appreciate your nice follow-up. Just sent you an e-mail. If you don't receive it, do a shout-out here or another board. We will connect. Happy to share more!!!

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 54,827 views for these postings.

• 3 weeks later...

For all the cruisers due to visit our beautiful Fremantle. When you berth you will see the railway station in front of you and slightly to the right with an old wooden bridge going over the railway line. Unless you are fit don't go over the bridge. Walk along the road until you are just past the station and there is a pedestrian crossing over the line. The train will have you in the city of Perth in 25 mins. Purchase tickets from the machine when you enter. In Perth look out for colour coded public transport CAT Buses. Each colour has a different route and will go to all the tourist attractions and they are FREE. Outside Fremantle railway station is a bus stop for the Orange CAT and that will take you to all the tourist attractions around Fremantle and again it is free. If you are visiting on a Friday or Saturday the Fremantle markets will be open. And of course you can get the Ferry over to Rottnest Island to see our famous quokkas. Have a wonderful stay.:)

For all the cruisers due to visit our beautiful Fremantle. When you berth you will see the railway station in front of you and slightly to the right with an old wooden bridge going over the railway line. Unless you are fit don't go over the bridge. Walk along the road until you are just past the station and there is a pedestrian crossing over the line. The train will have you in the city of Perth in 25 mins. Purchase tickets from the machine when you enter. In Perth look out for colour coded public transport CAT Buses. Each colour has a different route and will go to all the tourist attractions and they are FREE. Outside Fremantle railway station is a bus stop for the Orange CAT and that will take you to all the tourist attractions around Fremantle and again it is free. If you are visiting on a Friday or Saturday the Fremantle markets will be open. And of course you can get the Ferry over to Rottnest Island to see our famous quokkas. Have a wonderful stay.:)

Thank you so much for the information about not going over the bridge.

We are in port from 8 am to 11 pm. I was wondering if a good agenda for the day was the morning on Rottnest. Then back to the ship to shower off the sand, and then the train to Perth for the afternoon and early evening in Fremantle. My husband tires easily so we would use the HOHO on Rottnest and the free CAT in Perth and Fremantle to get us a taste of each place.

The crossing over the railway line at Fremantle is situated in a car park so make sure you are looking out for it. I think Rottnest in a half day is going to be too much. Check out the ferry times and length of the crossing AND the type of ferry. You would need the fast one. I had heard they have a SMALL bus to tour the island but 99% would be by bicycle which you hire on the island.Best part of Fremantle is fish and chips from CIserellos at Fishing Boat Harbour. Round House is a must. In Perth a must is Kings Park and the Perth Mint. Both places you can get to using the CAT buses.

Yes the CAT is the free bus. You will know them from the regular bus service as it will say (colour) CAT i.e. R ED CAT as the destination of the front of the buses. Various bus sto around the city will state RED CAT for example.