Bermuda 05/05/18 8a-4p ANY SUGGESTIONS???

debnrick

It really depends on what you’re into- there are a ton of different options. Great beaches, golf, shopping in Hamilton, spas— it’s sort of a broad question without knowing what you’re interests are.

Getting around is fairly easy. From the Dockyard there are ferries to Hamilton and St George. You can also take busses (both local and those arranged for excursions) as well as taxis. If you do use taxis download an app called Hitch- it’s like Bermuda’s local version of Uber. You can hail them from the phone, you know what the estimate is, and most importantly it charges your credit card for the ride (taxis are otherwise pretty much cash only).

But do get out of the Dockyard- aside from some historical buildings it’s a bit of a tourist trap.

If you do use taxis download an app called Hitch- it’s like Bermuda’s local version of Uber. You can hail them from the phone, you know what the estimate is, and most importantly it charges your credit card for the ride (taxis are otherwise pretty much cash only).

here is the play store link for the app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hitch

Is there a "must see or must do" for 4 adults and the best way to get there? Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas only lists 4 excursions so considering booking on our own. Any thoughts would be helpful. TYIA

I am on the same cruise. I believe they don't have as many excursions for this date, as it isn't beach weather yet.

Have you been to Bermuda before? If not a tour of the island would be great. They have taxis near the ship that offer tours.

Four or five years ago, I had a non beach day, so I took the Ferry to Hamilton and walked around the took the bus to St.George had lunch and walked around and took the Ferry back. You could get a 1 day bus and ferry pass if that is still available.

If the weather is warm, I may go to sit on the beach at Horseshoe Bay. It is beautiful there.

Also, I am going to see if there are any boat tours, probably will need jeans and a warm sweatshirt.

Ellen

Is there a "must see or must do" for 4 adults and the best way to get there? Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas only lists 4 excursions so considering booking on our own. Any thoughts would be helpful. TYIA

I will be back in Bermuda in June 2018. I can absolutely recommend a wonderful tour with Heidi Cowan of Bermuda Byways Tours. http://www.bermudabyways.com DH and I were with her our first (only previous) time on Bermuda and it was a terrific experience. You can Google and read reviews. Heidi is from a long family line of the lighthouse keepers at Gibbs Hill and grew up in the house attached to the lighthouse. She knows Bermuda inside and out and will show you - with a great deal of pride - her beautiful island. We went with her the fist day we arrived (on the Anthem in 2016). She keeps her group small and she drives the island in her van. (Her wonderful little dog Buddy sits next to her and is as quiet as can be... Buddy is blind and just so precious.) For lunch you will have the most delicious fish sandwich - on raisin bread. (Though if you don't eat fish Heidi will get something else for you.) This is not a snorkel excursion. This is a wonderful day seeing the beauty of and learning and walking and learning the history of Bermuda and by the end of the tour you will have gotten a great feel for Bermuda. We did. And we made a friend. There is time for shopping (when you come back - if you are not too tired) on the second day in port. There are series of lovely shops and galleries all around the port. We had rain on and off our second day in port and I was happy I had packed an umbrella. Second day you have time to take the ferry from King's Wharf, where the Anthem docks, to Hamilton.