Red Hook Cruisers--New option soon for getting to Manhattan

Where does it say it includes Red Hook - Manhatten?

The map shows a stop in Red Hook, which is apparently considered South Brooklyn. However, the map doesn't specify exactly where the ferry will dock.

Actually, I just found a reference elsewhere to the location - Atlantic Basin, near the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. This would be good news for cruisers.

Edited by 138east

I had missed this news when the service was first proposed, but Atlantic Basin does indeed seem to be the intended ferry landing in Red Hook.

http://ny.curbed.com/2016/7/20/12239142/red-hook-brooklyn-ferry-location

This is far more convenient than either the Ikea ferry landing or the landing near the Fairway Market at the bottom end of Van Brunt Street. If the landing is located at the southern edge of the basin, it would be almost immediately adjacent to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal:

https://goo.gl/maps/2FXGXkZsjj62

I had missed this news when the service was first proposed, but Atlantic Basin does indeed seem to be the intended ferry landing in Red Hook.

http://ny.curbed.com/2016/7/20/12239142/red-hook-brooklyn-ferry-location

This is far more convenient than either the Ikea ferry landing or the landing near the Fairway Market at the bottom end of Van Brunt Street. If the landing is located at the southern edge of the basin, it would be almost immediately adjacent to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal:

https://goo.gl/maps/2FXGXkZsjj62

It's says near Pioneer and Cooper, which looks pretty close to the Cruiseport to me. That opens up all sorts of possibilities for booking hotels in lower Manhattan near Pier 11 like the Holiday Inn Express. Imagine arriving for your cruise on the QM2 by ferry for $2.75!

From Pier 11 it would also be possible to get to the ferry dock at East 34th Street with good access to the midtown east hotels.

These are new commuter ferries as well as re-branded existing ones coming from another merging of another line, expected to run about 15 to 20 minutes apart during peak time. It's a nice idea for those within walking distance to the pier at the Wall Street area - assuming that one is traveling light with carry-on luggage, as I doubt it is designed for baggage while likely accessible compliant. Hotels in the L.I.C./Hunters Point and other places like Bay Ridge aren't integrated necessary with local bus routes, so it would involve another car services or (green) taxi trip.

It will work for some travelers but not a solution for majority of the passengers, especially with a QE class TA crossing. Extended family that work at the Bklyn Army Terminal on the waterfront would be happy when it launch ... it isn't going to make a big difference in reducing their daily commute time, just more predictable, hopefully.

There was East River ferry services to LGA (LaGuardia) airport not long ago but ridership #'s were not impressive, ran at a deficit even with subsidies ... let's see what will happen - trying to keep an open mind. But, it can and should be part of an overall solution to NY's traffic congestion ...

I'll take a ride over to Red Hook on the new ferry in early June just to test it out (sans luggage), & will report back on the experience.

I know the overwhelming majority of cruisers don't want to be dragging luggage onto ferries before or after a cruise. But I've taken NY Waterway ferries between Hoboken or Weehawken and the East 39th St. Manhattan terminal for sailings from the Upper West Side piers on a number of occasions. (I travel light. Well, light-ish.;))

I'll take a ride over to Red Hook on the new ferry in early June just to test it out (sans luggage), & will report back on the experience.

I know the overwhelming majority of cruisers don't want to be dragging luggage onto ferries before or after a cruise. But I've taken NY Waterway ferries between Hoboken or Weehawken and the East 39th St. Manhattan terminal for sailings from the Upper West Side piers on a number of occasions. (I travel light. Well, light-ish.;))

That would be great! My assumption is that these ferries are going to have to be handicapped accessible, which should mean you will be able to roll luggage onto them. It looks like there would be minimal walking at Red Hook, but I'm wondering how much walking there would be at Pier 11 to get to a point where you could hail a cab in call for an Uber pickup.

For folks sailing from Brooklyn I'd rather be recommending downtown Manhattan hotels than some of the Brooklyn hotels near the pier that have been discussed. Folks who fly into JFK could benefit from the fixed cab pricing to Manhattan rather than the metered cab to Brooklyn.

I'll be very interested to read your report in June! We are embarking on the Pacific Princess on June 12, coming from Manhattan/Chelsea area and traveling "light-ish" (one small carry-on bag each). Looks like we could catch the free shuttle on 34th & 6th Ave over to the 34th St ferry terminal, take the East River route to DUMBO, then change to the South Brooklyn ferry to Red Hook. Looks like a bit less walking than taking the subway down to Wall Street and walking over to Pier 11 :confused:

Would be fun just to do it, we loved taking the ferry from Weehawken to Manhattan in the past, much more scenic than a cab!

I'll be very interested to read your report in June! We are embarking on the Pacific Princess on June 12, coming from Manhattan/Chelsea area and traveling "light-ish" (one small carry-on bag each). Looks like we could catch the free shuttle on 34th & 6th Ave over to the 34th St ferry terminal, take the East River route to DUMBO, then change to the South Brooklyn ferry to Red Hook. Looks like a bit less walking than taking the subway down to Wall Street and walking over to Pier 11 :confused:

Would be fun just to do it, we loved taking the ferry from Weehawken to Manhattan in the past, much more scenic than a cab!

That sounds like a plan! Please post back if you do it. I would consider this option if I were ever sailing from Red Hook.

• 8 months later...