June 24 , 2018 - sailing explorer

rosewood jo

We spent extra days in Copenhagen after a cruise. If I only had one day, I would take the "On and Off Bus" around town for an overview, then go over to Tivoli Gardens for an early evening dinner and time in the park, including the free shows. Our Regent hotel was only a few blocks from Tivoli, so we walked over. We were back at the hotel by the time they did fireworks (usually Wednesday and Friday nights) and our room faced the park, so we watched them from our window.

Yes, we were at the Marriott. The "on and off bus" makes a stop at the front door. Just make sure you get on the bus going the route you want. There are 3 routes. We took the Red line that went out to the Little Mermaid and had the bigger route. Information on the bus is here: https://www.redbuses.com/our-tours/copenhagen-hop-hop-off-tour I have a photo of the hotel and the room we were in on my web site: www.BillinLodi.com Click on the "2016 European Cruise Photos" button to see the pictures (at the bottom of the page) and the "2016 European Cruise Log" button to read about our days in Copenhagen.

We have not been on the Explorer yet. That comes on March 1st, right after our South America Cruise on the 23rd of this month on the Mariner.

Thks to u we did not take the cabin on 12th floor as one of ur reviews said it was noisy. I think U had a very large cabin and said it wasn’t worth it! We have cabin 871 on hold. I know laundry is down the hall so wud luv to hear what u think about that cabin?

Copenhagen is such a wonderful port; splurge and stay at the Grand Bretagne. It is well-located and you can easily walk from there to Nyhavn or turn right instead to shop on your way to dinner in Tivoli.

I always head to Nyhavn , take a boat tour of the surrounding waters, including a close-up of the Little Mermaid and Royal Palace nearby. Back at Nyhavn enjoy one of the great restaurants on either side of the canal. Tivoli is fun at night; shopping streets leading to it are a great temptation.

Copenhagen and the Danes are hospitable and enjoy life! Skoal!:*

Thks to u we did not take the cabin on 12th floor as one of ur reviews said it was noisy. I think U had a very large cabin and said it wasn’t worth it! We have cabin 871 on hold. I know laundry is down the hall so wud luv to hear what u think about that cabin?

In our opinion the D, E & F grade suites on Explorer offer the best value - excellent size and layout.

871 looks to be a reasonably located E grade with the deeper balcony; the concierge level will give you early excursion & dining booking, but no butler. Position near the launderette should not create any issues and will be handy if you wish to quickly run an iron over something.

CC member reviews of similar suites may be found here

Have a great cruise in stunning Scandinavia

Winner - I think that you intended to recommend Hotel d'Angleterre in Copenhagen, rather than Hotel Grand Bretagne in Athens. The former is indeed a lovely property, although the subway construction in front of the hotel that has been underway for almost five years detracts a bit from the hotel's appeal. The construction is due to be completed in May; so June may well be a very propitious time to stay at d'Angleterre.

I heartily agree with the posters who have suggested a visit to Nyhavn for dinner, as the restaurant choices are quite varied and the ambience of the whole street is delightful.

Agree with Dinner in Nyhavn and a boat tour - ideal is to go close to sunset you will get beautiful skies and then can have a lovely dinner in Nyhavn.

With one day, I would recommend renting bikes. Copenhagen is very navigable and bike friendly.

We prefer the more charming hotels (like the D'Angleterre) in Copenhagen over the Marriott.

We did a Segway tour one year that was fun. It’s not for everyone but we enjoyed it. But I’d probably recommend the Ho-Ho bus tour instead, easier to hit the highlights.

Looks like you’re in an E Concierge cabin. Those are the best bang for the buck on Explorer, we’ve done both a C and an F2 (same layout) and loved the cabin. Be aware that the rear stairway closest to your suite doesn’t go all the way down to Compass Rose (main dining room) so you’ll need to walk to the forward stairs / elevators for dinner. Not a problem, though - the ship isn’t that big.

We did a Segway tour one year that was fun. It’s not for everyone but we enjoyed it. But I’d probably recommend the Ho-Ho bus tour instead, easier to hit the highlights.

Looks like you’re in an E Concierge cabin. Those are the best bang for the buck on Explorer, we’ve done both a C and an F2 (same layout) and loved the cabin. Be aware that the rear stairway closest to your suite doesn’t go all the way down to Compass Rose (main dining room) so you’ll need to walk to the forward stairs / elevators for dinner. Not a problem, though - the ship isn’t that big.

The Segway tour sounds much better than a bike tour as the city is bumper to bumper with bikes and I think that you can use Segways on the sidewalk. I'm not a fan of Ho-Ho bus tours but I suppose that they are better than nothing - especially for people that can't do a Segway or a long walking tour.

In terms of dining, we tend to go to local places rather than upscale ones since we want to get a taste of what the locals eat. We were in Copenhagen for two days and ate at a vegetarian restaurant, Riz Raz. We are not vegetarians but the food was amazing. We also ate at local "stands" near Stroget. Some of the best food that we have had in the world are at local places (serving very local food).

The Segway tour sounds much better than a bike tour as the city is bumper to bumper with bikes and I think that you can use Segways on the sidewalk. I'm not a fan of Ho-Ho bus tours but I suppose that they are better than nothing - especially for people that can't do a Segway or a long walking tour.

In terms of dining, we tend to go to local places rather than upscale ones since we want to get a taste of what the locals eat. We were in Copenhagen for two days and ate at a vegetarian restaurant, Riz Raz. We are not vegetarians but the food was amazing. We also ate at local "stands" near Stroget. Some of the best food that we have had in the world are at local places (serving very local food).

We did a food tour in August, but that was the day after we’d missed our flight over due to weather, slept in CLT, rerouted through Canada, and lost my suitcase. Just a few hours sleep out of the previous 40+ and six time zones left me pretty out of it. I vaguely remember enjoying the tour but couldn’t tell you where all we went...mostly ate at the Torvehallerne but did a lot of walking, too. Plenty of options there!

Winner - I think that you intended to recommend Hotel d'Angleterre in Copenhagen, rather than Hotel Grand Bretagne in Athens. The former is indeed a lovely property, although the subway construction in front of the hotel that has been underway for almost five years detracts a bit from the hotel's appeal. The construction is due to be completed in May; so June may well be a very propitious time to stay at d'Angleterre.

I heartily agree with the posters who have suggested a visit to Nyhavn for dinner, as the restaurant choices are quite varied and the ambience of the whole street is delightful.

Of course I meant Hotel d'Angleterre, one of my most favorite hotels anywhere. I also like Grand Bretagne but that is another story--and country!

One hopes that the subway is completed soon; I can't believe it hasn't been finished by now.

Love Copenhagen, love Stroget, love Nyhaven , love the (very) Little Mermaid, love the museums, don't love so much Tivoli, especially the restaurants. Love the Danes!!