Best cruise line for large families?

EmilyAnn86

I have 5 kids, currently ages 9, 8, 6, 4, and 1. I am looking into booking a cruise for the end of the year (Oct/Nov) or Jan/Feb 2019. What is the best cruise line for a family of 7? I would prefer one big room but am open to one adult in a room with 3 kids and one adult in an adjoining room with the other 2.

I have 5 kids, currently ages 9, 8, 6, 4, and 1. I am looking into booking a cruise for the end of the year (Oct/Nov) or Jan/Feb 2019. What is the best cruise line for a family of 7? I would prefer one big room but am open to one adult in a room with 3 kids and one adult in an adjoining room with the other 2.

This depends on your budget. RCI has a Royal Family Suite that sleeps 8, but it can be pricy and they book up quickly. And you need to call to check availability and price. I think the Aqua Theater Suites can also sleep 8. NCL also has 2 and 3 bedroom suites in Haven. These are pricy options, but can fit the whole family into one cabin. However, you could also book two connecting cabins. In some cases, these may be cheaper than one suite. You can do mock booking on RCI for 2 cabins, but you may want to call to get connecting rooms. I would imagine that 2 connecting cabins option is available on all the mainstream cruise lines, so many more options.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This depends on your budget. RCI has a Royal Family Suite that sleeps 8, but it can be pricy and they book up quickly. And you need to call to check availability and price. I think the Aqua Theater Suites can also sleep 8. NCL also has 2 and 3 bedroom suites in Haven. These are pricy options, but can fit the whole family into one cabin. However, you could also book two connecting cabins. In some cases, these may be cheaper than one suite. You can do mock booking on RCI for 2 cabins, but you may want to call to get connecting rooms. I would imagine that 2 connecting cabins option is available on all the mainstream cruise lines, so many more options.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are a family of 7, booking connecting cabins is way cheaper than a suite that sleeps 7, I think on NCL that would be a 3 bedroom villa. OP, keep in mind that only DCL and some RCL ships have splash areas for diapered kids, most ships don’t have nurseries, some start kids clubs at 2, others 3.

I would go with 2 connecting cabins.....your kids are too young (IMO) to be across the hall! RCI has some ships (Voyager and Freedom class) that have some balconies that connect to an inside cabin. Put the kids in the inside, parents take the balcony, and you'll have plenty of space! The kid's messes are contained in one cabin, but you have immediate access to their bedroom directly from YOUR room! 2 bathrooms, too! Be aware that cabins only have showers, unless you book a JS or better.

I would go with 2 connecting cabins.....your kids are too young (IMO) to be across the hall! RCI has some ships (Voyager and Freedom class) that have some balconies that connect to an inside cabin. Put the kids in the inside, parents take the balcony, and you'll have plenty of space! The kid's messes are contained in one cabin, but you have immediate access to their bedroom directly from YOUR room! 2 bathrooms, too! Be aware that cabins only have showers, unless you book a JS or better.

I would be in one cabin with the 2 younger kids and my husband in another with the 3 older boys if we end up doing separate cabins. Or connecting would work if that's available. I definitely would prefer sleeping in the same bed as my husband

• 2 weeks later...

I’m cruising in a family stateroom on a rci Freedom class Liberty of the Seas, it’s an interior promenade and they sleep 6, they may have adjoining rooms if you look at the deck plans. Our room is on deck 8 but they have them throughout the ship, you can’t book this room online you will have to call. This room (not all family staterooms) has a tub/shower combo. We stayed in room 8200 forward overlooking the helipad and that room only had the shower. The great thing about this room if they are adjoining, they are big and have tons of storage which you need with 7 people. You can get a good deal depending on time of year and itinerary. I stayed on NCL the jade and jewel in a two bedroom suite (not haven) and it has an adjoining room but this would be much more expensive then two balconies but it was sweet! The good news is you have options. Carnival valor has great room option in their family friendly rooms in the second floor which include access to a private lounge for guests staying on that floor, check it out!

The family stateroom is a great option. Honestly, I would call and see if they would allow you to book it for all of you, with putting your 1 year old in a pack & play. Technically the room sleeps six because of the beds, but maybe they can make an exception for the little one with the pack & play. You won't be able to get that answer booking on line though.

This stateroom gives you the bed, a pullout sleeper sofa and a set of bunk beds.

The family stateroom is a great option. Honestly, I would call and see if they would allow you to book it for all of you, with putting your 1 year old in a pack & play. Technically the room sleeps six because of the beds, but maybe they can make an exception for the little one with the pack & play. You won't be able to get that answer booking on line though.

This stateroom gives you the bed, a pullout sleeper sofa and a set of bunk beds.

Personal experience with RCI...and they do make an exception with an infant using a pack-n-play. You need to call to do this and if the agent you speak to is unsure make sure they speak with a supervisor.

I say this if you want to save money. However, let me also say that having connecting staterooms is nice since it gives you a second bathroom. So, it really depends on finances.