AMA Waterways v Crystal--- European Cruises.

English Voyager

Crystal have pitched their offering and the highest end of the market and by most accounts they have delivered.

This thread has a good number of food photos from about page 4 onwards and plenty of detail about the ship:

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2538382

Here is a link to some reports of the AMA dining experience...

https://kimandcarrie.com/whats-the-food-like-on-an-amawaterways-river-cruise-menus-photos-and-videos/

We were considering both Crystal and AMA and in the end we opted for APT, which uses AMA ships to deliver a fully inclusive experience.

I have no doubt we would have enjoyed Crystal, but in the end we decided to go for a more relaxed and less deliberately luxurious offering from APT (and saved quite a bit in the process).

I'm not saying that AMA.APT will not deliver a great cruise with plenty of excellent food, I just get the impression that we will be more comfortable in an environment that isn't trying quite so hard to deliver a 6 star service on the river.

If it helps, we prefer Regent for ocean cruises over Crystal for the same reasons.

Each to their own though as ever :)

For the Christmas/New Year cruises I am looking at, the one from AMA, albeit one day longer, but with smaller accommodation, is more expensive than that from Crystal.

Then I wouldn't have any qualms about choosing Crystal, especially if you enjoy the cuisine and the elegance.