Recent Marella Ship Concerns

We have sailed with Thomson/TUI/Marella 11 times and are booked for our first trip on Discovery 6-18 May this year. I have read many negative reviews on here that, of course, cause concerns BUT we saw equally bad reviews prior to our 2 recent sailings on Discovery 2, yet on both occasions we had the times of our lives.

We still fully intend going on board expecting to have a ball - and believe you me, we have very high standards!

We will post a 100% honest review when we return but are sure that we will have a great 12 nights on board - remember that for every 1 bad review posted there are so many people who were happy and didn't bother to review.

Happy sailing to all on here.

Have a good holiday and we will look forward to your review. We had a great time on the Discovery last year. Like with most things in life some of the new changes did not appeal to everyone but we found a lot to like.

We did the discovery last May and enjoyed it.Lovely ship,aesthetically a step up from the Maj and the Dream and food was good.Wasn,t keen on layout of ship but thats a personal thing.Lacked staff but it was early doors after Thomson taking her on.Entertainment was okay.What it did lack for us was atmosphere and the friendliness of the Dream and Maj.

Im going on discovery on the paradise islands and seven isles cruise from the 25th feb, its our first time with thompson so looking forward to seeing how they compare. We have been on the ship in 2016 when it was then with RCCL & was splendor of the seas. We liked the size and things it offered. I loved the views from almost everywhere on the ship, always being able to see the sea was lovley esp while at dinner. I am looking forward to seeing what tui have changed or added to the ship.

When reading reviews on here i always take most with a pinch of salt, i know through my experience as being a chef and restaurantur for the past 15yrs , that there are some people in life you just can’t please lol. No matter how hard you try. I do read the reviews with interest though, and the genuine ones normally shine through.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was puzzled to read that Discovery 1 had more bad reviews than Discovery 2. The ships are essentially identical with some differences in D2 as a result of experience with D1. The crews are essentially the same so any differences can only be down to the mix of entertainment aboard and the style of senior on board management. One bad review usually provokes a flurry of other bad reviews so I would not take much notice unless the bad reviews were continuing for several months.

I have cruised on D1 twice and found it fine, yes there seems to be a lack of waiters etc at times but that is not just on Marella ships. I will be aboard this June and can compare the experience with last summer.

I think people are more inclined to go leave a bad review if they had a bad time because they are anoyed and want to vent there anger sumwhere. People who have a great time are less likely to leave review, sumtimes i think oh i must leave a review for that as it was really good but then you forget and it never gets done lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with your opinion of the sausages. I used to think that Premier Inn bangers were even worse but they have improved them. The salami for a continental breakfast is rubbish as well. Luckily for me I have lost the appetite for cooked breakfast so cereal or toast for me.

I agree with your opinion of the sausages. I used to think that Premier Inn bangers were even worse but they have improved them. The salami for a continental breakfast is rubbish as well. Luckily for me I have lost the appetite for cooked breakfast so cereal or toast for me.

Yes, I really couldn't believe how bad they were. Even my local greasy spoon has a better tasting sausage in the full english that sells for £5 with toast & hot drink included.

I had to laugh on the last morning of the cruise. At breakfast, I ended up on the table that all we solos ate at every night and my favourite Eggs Benedict was on the menu for the first time. Of course I ordered it and it turned up without any ham on it at all! The head waiter was at the next table and knew we had raised some concerns about the food quality so I pointed this out to him. He changed it immediately and brought me two eggs instead of the one on the first plate but he must have thought "why him?" :D.

Fortunately, I don't eat a 'full english' every morning but breakfast each day felt more a case of re-fueling than enjoying a good start to the day.

I found the bacon and sausages on Celebration in January much improved especially the bacon - not floating in water!!

I only had the bacon a couple of times and on both found it over-cooked and dry. Had scrambled egg once and that was pretty good.

Just to say that my review has now been published here on Cruise Critic. Remember, it is just my experience - others' will be different to mine.

A very interesting - and quite disturbing - review. The 'Booze Cruise' image doesn't appeal so hope that some of the problems are Caribbean related due to overindulgence of Rum whilst ashore (have just been reading several reviews raving about an excursion where they seem to expect to get you back drunk) as well as on board AI drinks.

I don't have hot breakfasts so not worried about the bacon or sausages (actually I used to love school and hospital sausages that had barely seen any meat) but do hope that my daily morning ration of Smoked Salmon is still available in 4

I am not a killjoy - and I like a drink or 2 - but do hope that things are a bit more sedate when we sail from Malaga to Southampton on Discovery in May; if not. I am afraid it will be a change of cruise line for us next time which is an inconvenience as Marella sail from Spanish ports that saves us a flight over to the UK. Time will tell.

Thanks for the review Britboys - we still expect to have another good Marella cruise in May but your review has certainly got us thinking.

Edited by campolady

Sorry if my last paragraph made it sound just like a booze cruise - didn't mean it to come across as that. People were enjoying a drink but I did not experience anyone being over the top. The noise around the pool was more to do with music and quizzes etc and in the evening, the Live Room was loud due to the volume levels on the music.

I suppose I just felt that Marella prices only really become particularly good value if you like a drink. Some people are able to drink quite a lot without getting drunk or becoming overtly boisterous :-).

We have been on both d1 and d2 last year, we did prefer d2 as the crew said they had listened to customer complaints and changed things on d2

We have booked d1 again for 2 cruise this year a week in jne fjords, and the 80's mini cruise, i know 3 of the entertainment team from last summers d2 showteam, the brilliant seb jackson kelly, freya, and simon, and also georgia and barclay beales from the spirit will be on too

Also booked the spirits last cruise as its or favourite ship

I am working on my husband to agree to going on the last sailing; not had any joy yet but there is plenty of time to change his mind lol.

its selling well though, think its gonna be a great party atmosphere, lots are being planned by peel

Sorry if my last paragraph made it sound just like a booze cruise - didn't mean it to come across as that. People were enjoying a drink but I did not experience anyone being over the top. The noise around the pool was more to do with music and quizzes etc and in the evening, the Live Room was loud due to the volume levels on the music.

I suppose I just felt that Marella prices only really become particularly good value if you like a drink. Some people are able to drink quite a lot without getting drunk or becoming overtly boisterous :-).

Don't worry about your opinions, it good the have a honest review, we have been on over 50 cruises with them, and although we are not booze cruisers I like a drink and the format suits us but we have not, as yet, tried another line so have no comparison. We have been on Discovery last year and are on her again next week but must admit that we do like the smaller Celebration which we are on in September, but after that many cruise's we do meet up with staff that we have seen in the past which is very nice😀. Thanks again for your report.👍

Sent from my b1-720 using Forums mobile app