Viking Sea St. Croix Excursions

kchand

We are just back from the January 6 sailing of this cruise, where the Tortola port was also cancelled.

Viking explained that we would instead be docking at

“historic and culturally rich” Frederickstad”.

This town (pretty run down before the storm, according to earlier reviews) was damaged by the hurricane.

The included excursion was a walk in the sun on a dirt road past battered and abandoned places. Several people dropped out early and returned to the ship.

The hurricane, of course, is certainly not Viking’s fault, but I think they made a mistake by not just giving us a sea day.

If I had it to do over again, I would have stayed on the boat that day.

We are just back from the January 6 sailing of this cruise, where the Tortola port was also cancelled.

This town (pretty run down before the storm, according to earlier reviews) was damaged by the hurricane.

The included excursion was a walk in the sun on a dirt road past battered and abandoned places. Several people dropped out early and returned to the ship.

The hurricane, of course, is certainly not Viking’s fault, but I think they made a mistake by not just giving us a sea day.

We are doing the West Indies Explorer in March and also got the letter about the port switch. I don’t get it - Tortola has hurricane damage and so does St Croix. We were booked on the sail to Jost Van Dyck. I was looking forward to the Soggy Dollar. It’s open again.

I don’t know what we are going to do in St Croix. We have no excursions listed yet. I did some research and the only thing that sounds interesting is Buck Island.

I may make my own sea day [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On the same cruise, took the same included walking tour, slightly different twist.

Indeed, this tour was not great, but our guide was insightful and I still enjoyed seeing what there was to see. Going through the fort had some interesting parts to see. I also was humbled to see the damage inside the Roman Catholic Church and the ongoing repairs. The shopping area for "souvenirs" was just a small area of what is seen on every island. Also enjoyed seeing the Anglican Church which had little damage and the Lutheran Church which suffered damage. Also got some great photos (my thing) out windows of the fort and some local flowers.

It left me wondering how these local island people survive after the hardships of a hurricane when they cannot depend on the government to have enough resources like we just assume happens in the U.S.

After the tour, I also spent time just enjoying the ship - not a choice most of the residents of St. Croix probably will ever experience.

On the same cruise, took the same included walking tour, slightly different twist.

Indeed, this tour was not great, but our guide was insightful and I still enjoyed seeing what there was to see. Going through the fort had some interesting parts to see. I also was humbled to see the damage inside the Roman Catholic Church and the ongoing repairs. The shopping area for "souvenirs" was just a small area of what is seen on every island. Also enjoyed seeing the Anglican Church which had little damage and the Lutheran Church which suffered damage. Also got some great photos (my thing) out windows of the fort and some local flowers.

It left me wondering how these local island people survive after the hardships of a hurricane when they cannot depend on the government to have enough resources like we just assume happens in the U.S.

After the tour, I also spent time just enjoying the ship - not a choice most of the residents of St. Croix probably will ever experience.

St Croix is one of the US Virgin Islands. Their government is the US government [emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The St Croix excursions are up on My Viking Journey.

I didn't see anything to get excited about, but the Buck Island Snorkel. We don't snorkel but I have been thinking about getting one of those full face masks and trying it. This sounds a bit beyond beginner level, though. I've heard the island and the beach is gorgeous (coming back after the hurricane) but DH doesn't swim much at all so he would be bored - especially since it's a power boat and not a catamaran. He wouldn't want to just sit on the beach the whole time.

There is a kayak thing but we're not experienced in that either - though I would like to be. There is a tour of the botanical gardens and the Captain Morgan distillery, but we are already doing a distillery in Guadeloupe. There is also a trip over to Christiansted with a walking tour of the town and a fort.

I signed us up for the included walking tour of Frederiksted at 10:30am. We don't have to rush in the morning and we'll have some time to poke around a bit on our own. I have heard 2 accounts of this included tour - one enjoyed it, the other said it was dreadful - 50/50 chance :) I'll take the gamble if I'm not paying extra! And it's not far from the ship if we want to go back.

There are some beaches not far from the port. I've heard the ones on the western side where the port is gotten beaten up pretty bad, but that they are improving every day, so I guess we'll play this one by ear.

Still bummed about the Soggy Dollar on Jost Van Dyck - it's just one of those things that caught my imagination and I wanted to go there and have a Painkiller :)

We will be able to book our excursion tomorrrow. My friend will book our optional& included excursions when they open. She lives in AZ.

My question: can she do it for both of us at the same time?

Or do you have book for one person and then go back and book for the next person?

I am home with the terrible sinus/ cold/ walking pneumonia thingy. On antibiotics and my only thought is she is a true friend. And I will have this behind before I sail in March. Would hate to be sick like this on vacation.

We will be able to book our excursion tomorrrow. My friend will book our optional& included excursions when they open. She lives in AZ.

My question: can she do it for both of us at the same time?

Or do you have book for one person and then go back and book for the next person?

I am home with the terrible sinus/ cold/ walking pneumonia thingy. On antibiotics and my only thought is she is a true friend. And I will have this behind before I sail in March. Would hate to be sick like this on vacation.

Are you both on the same booking number and in the same cabin? If so she should be able to book both - but they will go on one credit card. You have to pay right away to guarantee them. You put them in your cart, then check out.

Feel better! I'm hibernating until March and taking tons of AIrbourne!

Are you both on the same booking number and in the same cabin? If so she should be able to book both - but they will go on one credit card. You have to pay right away to guarantee them. You put them in your cart, then check out.

Feel better! I'm hibernating until March and taking tons of AIrbourne!

Yes we are cabin mates and have the same booking number. She will put it on her credit card, and my check is in the mail to her. Thanks for the info.

Normally , I would be in Mexico in mid Jan. Glad I did not book that trip for this year. This is a wicked infection. And I did have a flu shot and was tested this week at the doc. No flu, just this other debilitating crud.

Hibernating sounds like the thing to do until you get to the ship and warm weather, sun :)

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps things will have changed with excursions being added. We were in St Croix in December. I believe the second ship to be there. We ended up hiring a cab driver along with another couple who gave us a whole tour of the island. This was very interesting as you could see all the damage. Most of the island did not have electricity yet. Many FEMA workers there -housed in a old cruise ship. We spoke with the harbor master who was arranging more Viking ships to visit. It is a help for the islanders as they recover from the damage of the hurricanes.

We were there today. All water oriented excursions were canceled due to “weather” but the seas were mild on a beautiful day. Perhaps something fell through.

Today is Sunday, most stores were closed.

Not a lot to see on the included walk. An old cotton tree was pointed out, the customs house, a statue or two. The walk inside the fort and museum was somewhat interesting. There were folk dancers in a plaza near the ship. The guide took us to the Catholic Church damaged by the hurricane , we were allowed inside. At that point we dropped out and walked back to the ship.

Our tour guide was very engaging and appreciative of our business.

Some people hired a taxi to see the main town of Christenstad.

We went to St. Croix on another cruise line, but not after any weather issues. It was on a Sunday, so the stores were closed, but that never bothers me, as I prefer to do more shopping for photos than for anything else. I think you have to adjust your expectations a little when you cruise in the Caribbean. It's certainly not like Europe with big tourist attractions and a more developed infrastructure for tourism. Some people just go to the Caribbean to warm up, get a tan, and enjoy the beaches. I go to explore different islands/countries (and no, they're not all the same!!) and take pictures. My photos are here (toward bottom of gallery); they'll tell you what I did: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/caribbean_cruise__more&page=all I think we rented a car for part of the day, but it was in 2014 and I don't remember a lot!

We also went to Tortola. I enjoyed that, too, although we got a flat tire on the top of a tall hill and poor service from Hertz, so unfortunately I'm not sure I want to go back! It's the only bad rental experience we've had out of many, but it was memorable. Finally managed to change the tire but then waited FOREVER for the Hertz lady to pick up the keys at the port.

To me, even a stop in a damaged part of the world is better than a sea day. I always find something to explore, learn, or do.

Edited by roothy123

• 2 weeks later...

We were here on 28th January also and have to agree with Miss Picante and Sammiedawg.

The Fort was of some interest but that was about it. The sidewalks were in a bad state and dangerous in parts for a walking tour. There were broken manhole covers, lumps of concrete, a random satellite dish which hadn't been picked up, power cables hanging loose. We passed many derelict and destroyed properties. All very sad to see. Viking probably needed a port to moor the ship for the day but St Croix was no substitute for Tortola and really shouldn't have been a destination

The ship was moored next to the Carnival Fascination which is being used as a hotel for the aid workers. Unfortunately this ship is also being refurbished. Old upper deck windows were being replaced and the frames cleaned with angle grinders. Work you would expect in a dockyard not a cruise ship jetty. We witnessed this from our cabin and the noise on the deck hardly made for a relaxing time.