Best places to snorkel in: Bahamas, Antigua, St. Kitts, Grand Turks, San Juan?

Hi, I was in St. Kitts in December 2017. When we got off the ship there were vans taking people to the beach. Half of us went to South Friars and the other 2 went to Cockleshell. It was $5/person to South Friars, and $7/person to Cockleshell. I chose South Friars because my kids wanted to see the monkeys. Our van was actually an open air vehicle and we had to wait until it filled up to go to the beach. I consider us the lucky ones at South Friars, as the other couple went to Cockleshell to snorkel and he got hives real bad all over his body and had to go to sick bay once back to the ship and be on steroids and iv. In looking at the photos, I think both beaches are pretty. I liked South Friars cuz they drop you off at a beach club and you can use the facilities, chairs, etc. It is a beach club atmosphere or you can walk one way or the other and have more remoteness. Cockleshell photos looked like maybe Nevis Island is closer or something. Either way, you feel like you are in some sort of dreamland.

I consider us the lucky ones at South Friars, as the other couple went to Cockleshell to snorkel and he got hives real bad all over his body and had to go to sick bay once back to the ship and be on steroids and iv. In looking at the photos, I think both beaches are pretty. I liked South Friars cuz they drop you off at a beach club and you can use the facilities, chairs, etc. It is a beach club atmosphere or you can walk one way or the other and have more remoteness. Cockleshell photos looked like maybe Nevis Island is closer or something. Either way, you feel like you are in some sort of dreamland.
Hives all over his body! Poor guy--That sounds terrible! Do you know what caused it? I would definitely not feel like I was in a dreamland it that happened.;p

So when you caught the cab, did you ask for South Friars or Carambola? Did you rent chairs or just snorkel in the rocky lagoon to the right? How long did y'all snorkel/stay? Any recommendations for food in that area? Thanks for all the info--getting excited for our trip in March!

There are really only 2 beaches there and vans and taxis are right when you get off the ship. Tourism is their way of life so they are very assertive about taking you where you want to go and picking you up at the time you ask them to be there. i told them south friars beach and they directed us to an open air vehicle with 4 benches. Yeah, you feel like you are going on an adventure. On the way to the beach they stopped at a very scenic overlook called Timothy's pass and we all got out and took pictures. A little further and they pulled into carambola beach club and they asked people what time they wanted to be picked up. Everyone had different times and that was fine with the driver. When we walked out onto the beach 2 people had just vacated their chairs, so we snatched them up. We got there around noon. There is an umbrella between 2 chairs and if the umbrella is open that means the chairs have been paid for. We were just there at the right time so we didn't have to pay. We were trying to be thrifty with food, so we took a lot of sandwich bags with us and would fill them with food from the breakfast buffet before getting off at the port. We would fill up our bags with fresh fruit, cheese, some trail mix and that was good for us to have in the afternoon. I believe they have food at the carambola beach club, but we didn't go in there except to use bathrooms. The whole island is only about 7 miles, so it is pretty simple. We stayed there until 5, which was 5 hours. I would have loved to be there for a week, but that is not how the cruise works! I was anxious to start snorkeling and did so for a few hours and then had my snack. I hung out on my beach chair the rest of the afternoon just enjoying the beauty. My kids went down to the other side of the beach to see the monkeys. Our driver picked us up at 5 and we headed back to the ship. If I were doing it again I would try to get an earlier start getting there so I could be there longer. That had been my plan but one of my kids disappeared on the cruise ship that morning and we had to wait for her to show up. Yes, I was pissed, but I used the time waiting to have a meaningful conversation with my son. St. Kitts was my favorite port, like a little slice of heaven on earth. Look up some photos online and you will understand. Never found out why our friend got hives at the other beach. Just glad he was ok after getting steroids. Have a wonderful trip. I carried a 32 ounce container of water with me everywhere I went to stay hydrated.

We were just at St. Kitts on a HAL cruise Nov. 29-Dec. 10. Went to Cockleshell. Might have gone to South Friars if I'd read a review like yours, but we had gone to Cockleshell once before and really liked it. If you're interested in seeing it, you can check it out in my blog here: http://crusanwithsusan.blogspot.com/2017/12/2017-nov-28-dec-12-11-night-hal.html

We were just at St. Kitts on a HAL cruise Nov. 29-Dec. 10. Went to Cockleshell. Might have gone to South Friars if I'd read a review like yours, but we had gone to Cockleshell once before and really liked it. If you're interested in seeing it, you can check it out in my blog here: http://crusanwithsusan.blogspot.com/2017/12/2017-nov-28-dec-12-11-night-hal.html

OMG, your pictures are flipping amazing!! I've been to almost all the places you listed numerous times and have never seen some of those species. Are you a professional photographer and marine biologist? Not that many people could name as may of the fish that you did. What kind of camera do you use, and what is your secret? I'm totally in awe...

The pictures are compelling. We haven't seen this much variety since we vacationed in St. Marteen 27 years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

We went to South Friars Bay, on the recommendation on this thread, lovely beach, saw Lobster, Octopus, stone fish, porcupine fish (Small) and a beautiful Lion Fish, all by just snorkilling around the small lagoon, thanks for the posting about this great plcae,

Cocktails in the bar were not bad either, he gave generous amount, I jokey said I was not driving, so he added more!

Wow.. you’ve seen so much. On our next Christmas cruise on Grandeur we will definitely go to lagoon. I wish I took my snorkeling gear to S Friars beach last time around.

Does anyone have recent updates on snorkeling (condition of reefs post hurricanes) in St Thomas, St Kitts, Antigua, Grand Turk? I am assuming St Lucia and Barbados were ok. But would love to know if we should even bother with snorkeling at the others. We are avid snorkelers and dead coral is not exciting for us. I too have a full face mask and really liked it the one time I used it, but can't decide if I like the small/medium or the large one I got to try next - It does take some getting used to and you can't hear someone trying to communicate with it on! ;p

My daughter and I snorkeled close to sandals property when at Turks and Caicos

And the activity of fish and colors were amazing!!!

At Grand Turk - when you get out of the duty free shop turn left and walk through Margerittaville and go down the beach about 250 yards to a small yellow building playing music. This is the Island Jerk Bar. Cold beer for $3, free wifi, free chairs and good Conk Fritters plus you can snorkel right off the beach. We were there in Jan 2018 and saw several flounder, a frog fish and a ray that was passing through the area. The best snorkeling is in Bonaire.

We’re going with Adventure Antigua and doing the Eco tour. They have a video on their website and it looked fun! But I think at the other ports we will just enjoy the beaches.

Hello! We are going in June and that looked like a great excursion! What did you think? Was it worth it?

We went to South Friars Bay, on the recommendation on this thread, lovely beach, saw Lobster, Octopus, stone fish, porcupine fish (Small) and a beautiful Lion Fish, all by just snorkilling around the small lagoon, thanks for the posting about this great plcae,

Cocktails in the bar were not bad either, he gave generous amount, I jokey said I was not driving, so he added more!

Good to know! We are going in June and are first time cruisers. Nice to know we don't have to pay for all those expensive excursions!

Hello! We are going in June and that looked like a great excursion! What did you think? Was it worth it?

We wee unfortunate, it rained constantly, but should be good , just beware of the rum punch, they are very strong, two and you have trouble walking in a straight line and getting onto the boat and into the bus, three and you are found face sown in the sand!