Global adapter

GailLC

This is our first cruise with Viking and our first time visiting European countries. I am looking for a global adapter to use while visiting Italy, Monaco, France, and Spain. I am looking for one that has USB ports for cell phones, and also to plug in my hair dryer and curling iron. Any suggestions are appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Gail

This is our first cruise with Viking and our first time visiting European countries. I am looking for a global adapter to use while visiting Italy, Monaco, France, and Spain. I am looking for one that has USB ports for cell phones, and also to plug in my hair dryer and curling iron. Any suggestions are appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Gail

If you are on board a Viking ship you do not need any adapters. There are both outlets for 120V (US) and 220v (European) current plus there are USB plugs on the night stands.

Do not plug your US hair appliances into European outlets without a converter, which is different from an adapter, and do not plug your US hair appliances into outlets that are designed for shavers (like the ones in the bathrooms on board the Viking ships; you will fry the circuit and maybe even start a fire).

If you are leaving the ship and staying in hotels, the countries you have mentioned all use the same adapters. You will need a converter to use your hair appliances in the hotels.

If you are looking for adapters and converters, go to Amazon.

If you are on board a Viking ship you do not need any adapters. There are both outlets for 120V (US) and 220v (European) current plus there are USB plugs on the night stands.

Do not plug your US hair appliances into European outlets without a converter, which is different from an adapter, and do not plug your US hair appliances into outlets that are designed for shavers (like the ones in the bathrooms on board the Viking ships; you will fry the circuit and maybe even start a fire).

If you are leaving the ship and staying in hotels, the countries you have mentioned all use the same adapters. You will need a converter to use your hair appliances in the hotels.

If you are looking for adapters and converters, go to Amazon.

Your warning about hair appliances is important. However, some hair appliances, like my inexpensive Conair curling iron, are dual voltage. They can be used without a converter. From the Conair website:

How can I tell if my appliance is dual voltage?

The voltage rating is on the rating plate, usually a small, flat plate or label on bottom or back of the product.

Single Voltage

120V

120V 60Hz

Dual Voltage120V-240V

120V 60Hz/240V 50Hz

120V to 240V

I assume this information will apply to other brands as well. (Reading the tiny print is a bit of a challenge.)

As indicated, an adapter and a converter are two VERY DIFFERENT things.

With an adapter, you can plug your phone charger into just about any port in the world. That little charger thing the phone comes with is a multi voltage device.

If your curling iron or dryer has the right switch, you can switch it over, but you still need an adapter to fit into the wall plug. Same with some other devices, like my CPAP and many laptop plugs.

Plugging something that can not take the DIFFERENT voltage but with an adapter will fry it. Voltage has to be CONVERTED.

We travel often and have various ADAPTERS. They handle our phones, ipads and cpap. We do not travel with a hair dryer at all. All hotels and ships have them. Curling iron - maybe.

Wife plugged her curling iron into Viking cabin 110 v socket at desk. We travel with converter/transformer for pre and post hotel stays and small multi plug outlet strip - all purchased on Amazon - be prepared as the Scouts say.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums