Silver Box Sept. 2017

meow!

I want a silver box. I've never received a silver box. Now, I probably never will.... thanks! :mad:

Ten years from now, people on CruiseCritic will be posting -

"Remember the good old days when SS sent out silver boxes even though every other line had switched to e-docs?... they made SS 'special'... I wish they'd bring back the silver boxes... it was such a nice touch."

EDIT: I agree with les37b. If you think SS will give $25 OBC for 'foregoing' a silver box, keep dreaming.

Edited by Bill B

Thank you I will call them on Monday. I won't be using this company again. Their customer service is lacking in all areas. Considering we are doing a pre cruise and post cruise tour I've had nothing but emails and I've had to keep going back with questions. I tend to use more than one TA depending on what they have to offer price wise when booking a cruise and haven't had an issue before. Hopefully it will all get sorted on Monday. Just so that I've got my facts right approximately when do Silversea send this silver box to the TA? Thanks if any responses.

Thank you I will call them on Monday. I won't be using this company again. Their customer service is lacking in all areas. Considering we are doing a pre cruise and post cruise tour I've had nothing but emails and I've had to keep going back with questions. I tend to use more than one TA depending on what they have to offer price wise when booking a cruise and haven't had an issue before. Hopefully it will all get sorted on Monday. Just so that I've got my facts right approximately when do Silversea send this silver box to the TA? Thanks if any responses.

It sometimes varies, between four to six weeks. Then the TA is to verify everything is correct then FedEx or UPS them to the customer. Inside the box is usually, Cruise tickets, A couple of luggage tags with your name on them, four or more paper luggage tags to apply when you get to the harbor and a travel book (explaining ports, shore excursions, all about the ship and so on...)

Good luck and have a nice cruise...

It varies. My first were always about a month, the last was 2 months, the one just received is nearer 2.5 months.

The contents of the silver box is just a journal which catalogues your cruise and trips available. Just a keep sake really, but you can print it out yourself in your online account. It also contains luggage labels which will be for the crew to get your bags to the right room. You don't use until getting to the ship. There is also a personalised luggage label which says silversea and has your name on it. You're not missing much, but it should have been sent.

I assume you booked direct with SS and not through a TA as obviously it's your TA that should be doing the chasing.

Are you able to access your my.silversea.com account? Inside the web site you will be able to print off your criise tickets.... That doesn't come with the box. You will also be able to select your tours and book restaurants which you could do from 90 to 120 days.

I always book direct and I've not had the problems you've experienced. Hope you get it sorted. If you did use an agent though, it's them I'd be venting my anger at.

Edited by les37b

Our latest one was waiting for us when we got home yesterday. Just on 2 1/2 months before we leave.

Long live the Silver Box

Wonder if this is going to be the usual time frame from now on? Mine had the same 2 1/2 month lead in. I guess booking via a TA adds additional delays which is an unknown variable how long they might take to send on.

We treasure all our four silver boxes. We might not be able to get any more. The four we had gave us good memories. We hope Silversea does not just fade into the crowd, with no caviar, no boxes, etc.

These days, with ships of all categories getting ever larger, with crew to passenger ratios getting ever lower, with the relatively smaller ships losing its particularities while the larger ships have more amenities. Then what is the use of having just fewer passengers with lesser amenities and specialized services (both real and perceived) to match? Such lines will become more mass market, except the high price!

A vote for the box, here.

A couple of years ago we did a cruise with Cunard in a pricey Grill Class suite. The only "stuff" we got was what I personally printed out on our computer. Tickets, on board info and luggage tags that I had to fold, staple and pray that it didn't rain, otherwise they'd fall off. We paid a small fortune for that trip and the "do it yourself" sort of thing, did not further endear us to the line. It's nice that some lines ( Regent, Crystal, etc.) including SS still make a classy presentation.

I do understand the flip side of this, but I'm old and I deserve special treatment.....giggle!

Getting on Whisper in Tahiti on Monday for two legs of the World. SS sent the silver boxes to the wrong address for the travel agent and they couldn't guarantee that we would get replacements before we leave on Saturday. So no luggage tags. But our travel agent sent the cruise tickets to us so it shows our confirmation number and suite number. Oh well, I've received several in the past so I don't miss the Travel Journal.

Jaci

Wonder if this is going to be the usual time frame from now on? Mine had the same 2 1/2 month lead in. I guess booking via a TA adds additional delays which is an unknown variable how long they might take to send on.

Interesting. I got my silver box less than 14 days until cruise time. When I called the travel agent, she said that was their standard lead time. So, maybe going directly through SS means it’s faster??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting. I got my silver box less than 14 days until cruise time. When I called the travel agent, she said that was their standard lead time. So, maybe going directly through SS means it’s faster??

I honestly don’t know. As mentioned, the lead in time seems to be longer each time. I would wonder though if each cruise guest list is printed and sent at the same time regardless of where the booking made. Those booking direct gets theirs with full tracking details by UPS from Italy. Those via an agent are in the hands of the Agents urgency to forward.

One thing that has been mentioned a couple of times, so maybe things are different for “direct” bookers. My silver boxes arrive sealed and do not contain any “tickets”. (By that I mean the paperwork to board and flight details.) This has always been available via a simple print off from my Silversea available pretty early - or via an email from Silversea. I got mine for a 25 March departure on 17th November 2017. I would day though I had all my personal details logged in my.silversea.com a week before this after a chase up.

Not that it’s a big deal to arrive early of course. I’d not be impressed though if nothing had arrived 2 weeks prior to sailing and the TA hadn’t even thought to ask why nothing had been received from Silversea.

Do all TA come via the agent or do any come direct from Silversea? My gut feeling is delays in arrival of the silver box is not the fault of Silversea.

The standard blurb on my TA’s email tells me that tickets and documentation will be sent about 14 days prior to departure .... but we are flying out early so I am hoping that the 14 days is nearer to 21 days, especially when Silversea and TA are working on different departure dates!

I may send them a ‘chaser’ to look into it.

The standard blurb on my TA’s email tells me that tickets and documentation will be sent about 14 days prior to departure .... but we are flying out early so I am hoping that the 14 days is nearer to 21 days, especially when Silversea and TA are working on different departure dates!

I may send them a ‘chaser’ to look into it.

Your actual cruise and flight documents should be downloadable from my.silversea.com

Worth a look. I’d be surprised if they weren’t there. This honestly sounds like it’s your TA policy.

Our Silver box arrived about 6 weeks ahead of our cruise next month. I don't really care whether our travel 'bumph' comes in a box, a folder or an envelope, its just exciting to receive it and read it all - and know that our cruise is round the corner. We find the new luggage labels useful since we always seem to be short of them. Its something I really miss when we sail Windstar, who email everything. But yes - I know that email would be more sensible and save alot of money.

• 2 weeks later...

Silver box mk II arrived at the weekend, the travel journal now contains all ports and excursions, but still has a blank page for Le Champagne/La Dame. SS UK admits that there are still problems with the TJ, only about 2 years since it was relaunched!

Someone on the ground in SS just doesn't listen or learn.

Sent from my iPad using Forums