San Juan, which has served only a a port of embarkation since Hurricane Maria devastated Puerto Rico (meaning cruise lines that embarked there would most typically have travelers flying in the day of departure since hotel space is limited) opened yesterday for its first port of call visit. Here's the story from Cruise Critic -- we'd love on the ground reports from anyone who's going! Or has been, even just to embark, in the past month or so.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8251

Carolyn

Sorry for the multiple post. I was trying to get the app working. Anyway, I'm on my laptop now.

We landed at San Juan this afternoon. The flight was smooth and the landing was perfection. During our descent I took a few photos. What we observed was the business area didn't see allot of damage, not seeing any blue tents.

Closer to landing, we went across residential neighborhoods. ( The first photo I posted) . There are allot of blue tarps as well as houses without roofs.

As we taxi to our gate, the damage to the airport can been seen. Building are torn and there are several planes that are totally destroyed.

The airport looks amazing. The damaged tiles have been removed and are being replaced. Luggage came arrived at baggage claim real fast. Our driver Jose picked us up and off we headed to the Airbnb apartment. During the ride you can see buildings that looked in good shape and then next to it another one that has major damage. We arrived at the apartment and headed out for lunch. There is still evidence of recovery, however it is nothing like I expected. Business' are open and people are back in the stores. Some of the business are boarded up. Others are trying to dry out. Gas can be found in every corner. San Juan definitely doesn't have an issue with gas. Every place we have gone has power. The street lights are working, however they are a bit of a mess. I have a friend from Canada with me, she has no concept of a hurricane. Her comment was, why haven't they straighten those signals up? Of course I said, hey they are working, you should be happy.

The second photo I posted was posted by the bar. This is a couple of blocks from my apartment. Gotta love the spirit. Tommorow we are heading to the beach and Old San Juan.

We are here in San Juan and we are not seeing the devastation that everyone is talking. The locals are telling us that SJ survived the storm very well. We are over by the Double Tree and there is very little damage as comparison to what has been told via the news. Everyone around us has power, stores and restaurants are open. The locals are coming to the restaurants. Now they need the tourist..

I didn't see the free trolley. We got an Uber to the fort and walked Old San Juan afterward. Stores are open and welcoming people. It is definitely empty with very few tourist. What we saw was allot of trees down. The trees have been cleared and are just waiting to be picked up. Mother Nature has started to work and SJ is coming to life with the beautiful greenery. Two blocks from my AIRBNB is the beach. It is lovely and the water is blue. I personally didn't enjoy Old San Juan. All we saw was shopping, which a majority of it is in Orlando. We didn't go down to the pier and I hear that is the place to get unique items. So we did allot of building site seeing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Forums mobile app

Thanks, jswdlw -- great information.

I was struck, while on St. Maarten, at how unpredictable the hurricanes were. Some places were blown apart, while just down the street everything's back to normal.

Carolyn

We are here in San Juan and we are not seeing the devastation that everyone is talking. The locals are telling us that SJ survived the storm very well. We are over by the Double Tree and there is very little damage as comparison to what has been told via the news. Everyone around us has power, stores and restaurants are open. The locals are coming to the restaurants. Now they need the tourist..

I didn't see the free trolley. We got an Uber to the fort and walked Old San Juan afterward. Stores are open and welcoming people. It is definitely empty with very few tourist. What we saw was allot of trees down. The trees have been cleared and are just waiting to be picked up. Mother Nature has started to work and SJ is coming to life with the beautiful greenery. Two blocks from my AIRBNB is the beach. It is lovely and the water is blue. I personally didn't enjoy Old San Juan. All we saw was shopping, which a majority of it is in Orlando. We didn't go down to the pier and I hear that is the place to get unique items. So we did allot of building site seeing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
We are departing Saturday and discovered our TA failed to reserve the free transfer from the airport to the port. It is now full and unavailable. My questions...are taxi plentiful enough for us to get one

It’s very easy to get taxis to the port. And after cruise taxis are the easiest.

Evidently the power is still out for half of the island, but it's inland where we cruisers are less like to see it.

San Juan has remained on the itinerary for my upcoming cruise, though I expect we will stick pretty close to the port. I'd like to be able to contribute to the local economy while I'm there, as the big companies don't need my money -- locals do. Can anyone recommend restaurants or businesses near the port that are locally owned? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Evidently the power is still out for half of the island, but it's inland where we cruisers are less like to see it.

San Juan has remained on the itinerary for my upcoming cruise, though I expect we will stick pretty close to the port. I'd like to be able to contribute to the local economy while I'm there, as the big companies don't need my money -- locals do. Can anyone recommend restaurants or businesses near the port that are locally owned? Thanks.

San Juan is opened, however a lot of the island is still wothout power. In San Juan there are business opened and operation under a generator. Still there is a lot of culture to see if you walk around.

I'm just back from a cruise that visited San Juan -- Lots of places are open but they're frequently right next to a business that's closed with plywood over the windows.

WARNING: beware of taxis! Ask before you get into one. When we arrived at our destination, the driver informed us there was a $15 minimum, even though we only went a few blocks. Read the rates on the side of the car, and refuse to pay any more than it says.

Arriving march to port. Is there anything open interesting for a 14yr old boy? I wanted to do a tour of the island, is that possible or is the fort ok and doable. Was at the fort yrs ago, and do not remember there being much there.

Do not want to feel if we tour we are just gawkers. Is there a "free" beach clear and available so we could do some shops/then swim/buy lunch?