Viking Ocean Demographics

tocruiseguy

Hello all, we are a couple in our mid 50's and have sailed on several cruises, mostly Celebrity and mostly Med cruises. The Viking ships look amazing and we are interested in a few of the southeast asia itinerary's for this fall. We are finally able to travel sans kids so are branching out where we plan to travel.

In addition to the obvious reasons to love cruising (ports, food etc) we also enjoy the social aspect of meeting people and on occasion while cruising we like to stay up late socializing. I have been reading some of the threads and it looks like Viking understandably attracts mostly older retired people. I know each cruise is sort of the luck of the draw, but just wondering if we can expect any nightlife at all on a Viking Cruise?

Thanks.

On our 3 week Barcelona the Baltics and Beyond cruise the future cruise consultant told me that the average age onboard was 62. I'm still working, husband retired. We traveled with another couple 65/70. I was the youngest and the one that went to bed early every night. Our friends stayed up late dancing and visiting. They enjoyed Torshavn very much and also would dance in the lobby to the piano player or the trio. Sometimes my husband would go to a movie. But there is no disco, etc, of course.

This is our first Viking ocean cruise, but on our recent Viking river cruise, we (4 of us age 65-70) closed the lounge down @1-2am or later each night - although that did make it more difficult to be up and ready for the port tours the next day! And, we weren't alone - there was always a crowd. We even convinced the piano player to change his play list for dancing, singing, and partying. The Viking ocean cruise ships have more passengers and more venues for gathering - more choices and fun for all.

There is a place called Torshavn that is a small copy of the Queen's Lounge on HAL Vista -class ships. Comparing with Celebrity - it's a mix of Quasar and Celebrity Central divided by 4 in size. It's livable like Quasar, but not a pure disco with canned music. There will be a music band and singers. Less focus on dancing. Not late night.

Speaking of the level of design, the closest ship from your list is Mariner OTS.

Thanks. So, what you are saying, there is no dancing venue? I suspect the live bands would cater to music from the 60's/70's? (We like 80's stuff to current music)

We are early 60s and quite active - I think we are at the younger end of those on board ( we have been twice) - the included excursions can be a bit slow for us - but generally we find that we have time to explore on our own and walk the deck for a few laps each day to get our exercise fix. Things start early and wrap up unless you go to the mini night club at about 10.30 - that was fine for us we were ready for bed! We love Viking Ocean and have booked two more trips so that says it all for me - (less convinced about the river cruises though!!)

We are early 60s and quite active - I think we are at the younger end of those on board ( we have been twice) - the included excursions can be a bit slow for us - but generally we find that we have time to explore on our own and walk the deck for a few laps each day to get our exercise fix. Things start early and wrap up unless you go to the mini night club at about 10.30 - that was fine for us we were ready for bed! We love Viking Ocean and have booked two more trips so that says it all for me - (less convinced about the river cruises though!!)

Thanks, its sounds like there isn't a ton of nightlife on the Viking ships, but I suspect that is the case for any of the "luxury" cruise liners. I would not say we are party animals but we do like to stay up late some nights while on vacation. We did a great barrier reef cruise out of Sydney on Celebrity last March and the average age seemed quite a bit older than us or at least many on the ship were not very active (its not your age its how old you act/feel). The ship was a ghost town after 10:30, except a small minority, most people seemed to go to bed after the last show. There was a sign on deck two that said this way to "Dialysis at Sea", something I have never seen before.

Regarding the included excursions, are they the type where everyone piles on a large bus?

Yes about 30 to a bus unless you are right in the town when the walking tours will sometimes set off from the boat. If on a walking tour there will be a short drive to the start point and back again afterwards usually with some free time. We would often stay on in town and get the shuttle bus back after our walking tour. Some tours often described as “panoramic” are bus drives from place to place with short stops. Not so keen on those myself - start to feel cooped up! The longer day tours often are a combination of both - they usually are an extra charge. We tend to take a mixture of trips but you do need to watch out for occasional long drives before you get anywhere when the ship is berthed a long way from the advertised attraction! This does not happen often eg Rome is a good example with at least 90 minutes travel time just to get there.

• 2 weeks later...

We’re in our mid-50s and are about to take our first cruise (on Viking Sky). We’re sticks in the mud, though — especially with early excursions booked most days. I find age is not always a good determinant of late-night social stamina! :)

We’re in our mid-50s and are about to take our first cruise (on Viking Sky). We’re sticks in the mud, though — especially with early excursions booked most days. I find age is not always a good determinant of late-night social stamina! :)

I agree, as at one time I would have thought someone in their mid fifties (like us) was old....:D

However it sounds like even if so inclined there isn't much to do at night on the ship. It would be nice it they had at least one "club" that played music. Surely everyone isn't tucked in their beds by 11 pm....

We have to figure out if the itinerary is worth the sacrifice of what could turn out to be some boring evenings for us.

I agree, as at one time I would have thought someone in their mid fifties (like us) was old....:D

However it sounds like even if so inclined there isn't much to do at night on the ship. It would be nice it they had at least one "club" that played music. Surely everyone isn't tucked in their beds by 11 pm....

We have to figure out if the itinerary is worth the sacrifice of what could turn out to be some boring evenings for us.

They do have one club, Torshavn, it's live music. The band there occasionally plays other venues on the ship and they want you to come in and dance and are usually up and running after the shows. The music seemed to be upbeat the few times we looked in. Can't speak for evert minute they play.

I would just add that most nights there is a 45 minute show at around 9.15 in the main theatre. It was repeated earlier on our recent trip due to popularity. This is a mix of on board entertainers, local acts and entertainers flown out just to do two shows each. We were very happy with the shows but as I mentioned before we were ready for bed after such early starts and very full days!!

I would just add that most nights there is a 45 minute show at around 9.15 in the main theatre. It was repeated earlier on our recent trip due to popularity. This is a mix of on board entertainers, local acts and entertainers flown out just to do two shows each. We were very happy with the shows but as I mentioned before we were ready for bed after such early starts and very full days!!

You have the night club where there is live entertainment and people dance. That goes to about 12 maybe later.

some of the pictures here might give you an idea

this is a different cruise of course but you can get an idea of the 'flavor' of the ship

https://intothemidnightsun.shutterfly.com/vikingsea

not my stuff btw ....

Thanks, seems to be very few people in the pictures. The ships must have a lot of sq footage per passenger in the public spaces (or whoever took the pics is a real early riser). We are looking at a couple SE Asia cruises later this year. We are down to Viking, Azamara or a land trip.