Disney Dream, single dad w/5yo, first time flying, inside cabin deck 2? Thoughts?

Hello all,

So I've actually cruised a couple times, but it has been a few years and now I have a little one.. this changes everything :)

I've hemmed and hawed on whether or not taking her at (just about) 5 would be a good idea. The thought of walking around Disney World frightens me, hence sticking to the ship is more appealing. Of course the concern of her getting sea sick isn't appealing haha. Not to mention it'll be he first time flying. (2.5hr flight).

Sooo....

If there is anyone that might have had a similar concerns and can give me advice, that would be great! I will scan the boards, but if anyone can tell me about heir experiences with hat I might be facing and tips and tricks, it would be greatly, greatly, apprecated!

Michael

took both my grandkids 3 Disney cruises -= loved it

go to $ store before you leave and buy a cheap pail and shovel and some similar toys- you can use them at the toddler pool if they are clean, also at the beach - if you loose them no biggy, they keep that age busy. Also take water wings if she is afraid of water. A hat and sunshirt.

Try out the kids drop off area on the ship - my granddaughter loved it - they did sparkles one day and she rolled around in them - we still has sparkles on her head when we left ship - hard to get all that out. Try 1/2 hour, then 1hour etc to see if she is ok, gives you and her a break. The staff are fab with kids.

Try to get to the kids pool early in the day so you get a seat near the pool.

Meals are easy, kids menu is good, but allow her to order from adult menu as a treat if she really wants something special.

Make sure you use cabin washroom as you leave, did not find family washroom, so you have to trust her to go alone - had to ask staff to go in and see if my grandson was ok once, he likes to sit and think....

Lots to do, and see. - buy sunscreen and anything you may need before boarding the shops charge 2 or 3 times the shore price.

Relax have fun!

I would say seasickness is unlikely, but bring mild seasick medicine with you. What they have on the ship is usually strong and adult strength.

Also agree with bringing simple beach/pool toys (buckets). Works in the kid pool area and the beach.

There is plenty of food and drink. Only bring extra food you really need (like a special treat) or its a waste of space.

The child areas are exceptional. If you child is already comfortable in pre-school for example there should be no problem. When you first board the ship, it should be "open house" for the kid clubs. You can go in with your child and look around. Let them play on something for a few minutes then "You get to come back later and play a lot!" You will also feel more comfortable.

Make sure the child understands there will be a safety drill. 5yo level of details of course but its mandatory, you have to go somewhere and wait... maybe outside in the sun! An alarm sounds, the loud on deck horn blows a lot, and lots of people, lots of stairs. If you are lucky you will be inside in the theaters or a lounge. If its inside, just get there before the drill starts and find a seat. Bring something for the child to play with for 20-30 minutes. If its outside - well - not so fun. Sunglasses and Hat may be required, and some water. Its my least favorite part of the cruise.

There are lots of character meet and greet opportunities. They are free but MAY require a "ticket" to do it... sometimes just for the number of people (princess meet and greet) and sometime with a meet-time window (Elsa/Anna/Olof). Bring an Autograph Book if you want, it helps the child interact with the characters. Ship Photo's are expensive-ish but you may want the package because they do an very nice job and you can also be in the pictures. You can decide at the end and no cost if you decide you don't want them.

There is almost always something going on. Disney Movies at the main pool and other movies in the main theater. If you need adult time, doing a liquor tasting class during the day while your child is in the play center is a good idea. Not expensive, adult only, nice setting, a little history, and not to much booze.

If its a short cruise, I would not get off in Nassau, just Castaway Cay. Castaway Cay is a Disney owned island and its like being on the ship. Food and drink are included. Beaches are nice with several areas. Try and attend a Hermit Crab Race.

The nighttime theater shows are all Disney related and kids friendly. I think it will be hard to see them with a 5yo. You might want to do early dinner time, but the do a quick dinner a little early at the buffet or such and try to do a show.

They pretty much create a situation where you CANT do everything so you WANT to go back! So don't be surprised when it happens!

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, the Disney cruises are magical for little ones! We took our son when he was 5, and being an only child we were nervous to see if he would like the kids club. After the the first time, it was hard to get him to leave the club! The kids club counselors were the BEST making sure everyone was having fun. You will have a little guilt free adult time, and then dinner and a show together in the evenings. I’d suggest you do an internet search for a Disney cruise chat board. They are a wealth of information and there are even meet and greet (and fish extender lol) opportunities. It’s all super fun.

My suggestion for the flight is to bring something to do, whether it is an iPad, books, or coloring.

You will have an amazing time!