Live from Navigator...1st leg of world cruise

crusin7

Holy smokes! I would have freaked out! You are in a remote part of the world! Didn’t you just love the galley lunch? Last year, they also had crew members entertaining the passengers - singing, card tricks, etc. It was really well done.

The Galley Lunch was great but there was no entertainment by the crew when we were there.

Yesterday at 5:30- 6:15pm they had the Equator Crossing Cocktail Party. It was well attended. We were to pay respects to King Neptune, Father of the Deep.

ea4aa612e5c18f6b75b8196602202a88.jpg

Shellbacks...those who have crossed the Equator by sea

80c9fe94c571b56cffa6314945a0df4f.jpg

Pollywogs. Those who have not crossed by sea2f946d3c0cdb191d29b70b794c930d3f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was happy to learn that the galley lunch apparently continues ( at least sometimes) .Our Jan'18 cruise had 4 sea days and that would have been a fun event. There just weren't any fun events (deck party e.g.) on this cruise.

I suspect that the galley lunch was one of the many special events put on for the world cruisers. Time will tell if Regent will do them on regular cruises. It takes two to three days to prepare for these lunches so I can't see them doing them on shorter itineraries.

Explanation provided by Jamie last night is that the fuel they loaded in Hawaii had air bubbles in it that caused the engine to stall.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Actually that makes sense. The generators are run on diesel fuel. We have a special fan in our room that runs all the time. In the minutes before the complete power failure the fan went off and on before finally stopping completely.

We were on a ship in 1996 that lost 3 of its four generators. Everyone had to move out on the open decks for two days as they could only generate enough power to keep the ship moving slowly toward our next port. We slept on deck and the crew brought water, sandwiches and snacks on deck for our meals. The interior of the ship was over 100 degrees when we finally made port.

Things are running smoothly today except the glitch must have caused a problem for the TV system. Jamie just came on and announced they thought they had worked around the problem so the football games could be shown. I know that is important to many.

Otherwise all is well on the Navigator. Sunny, 77 degrees, moderate waves at 8 feet, wind 27 knots.

I've never been on the Navigator so I don't know what fuel it runs on. But most cruise ships run on heavy residual oil, not diesel. And most ships are the same (many newer ones often are powered by essentially a jet engine turbine turning a generator and don't use diesel either) - heavy residual oil is much less expensive than diesel. The emergency generators are the ones that generally run on diesel.

"beyondships.com" lists the Navigator's "Power Plant" as diesel. Would you know what the "Power Plant" includes?

The whole electrical system went down. There was no power at all.

Jamie told us in the first announcement that the diesel fueled generators had shut down and they were working to bring them back up. (There was no reason for him to lie about the fuel source.)

We were dead in the water for a short while and the wind was moving us. In fact, once the wind had turned us the ride was smoother!

The generators are the power plant. They provide the electricity that powers the ship...everything the sewer system, lights, AC, the propulsion. It sure got quiet! Once the power came back up, all the toilets flushed.

I must say this situation was handled extremely well having had some hairy times in the past! Jamie came on the PA as soon as we lost power and then again as soon as they got the first two generators up (that was when the toilets all flushed) and then a short while later told us all was well and we were under way again.

It was the talk the of the evening and just added a little spice to the days activities!

The Captain just announced we will be 2 hours late getting in port tomorrow. Noon instead of 10 so we will stay until 8 to get all the tours run. We still have moderate waves 8 feet and 27 knot winds.

Edited by cwn

The power plant is 4 Wartsilla diesel engines running generators. The propulsion is 3 shafted variable pitch KaMeWa propellers run by electric motors. The number of diesels on at any time is dictated by the power needs. They normally use the bunker oil that is heated before being sent into the injectors.

I've never been on the Navigator so I don't know what fuel it runs on. But most cruise ships run on heavy residual oil, not diesel. And most ships are the same (many newer ones often are powered by essentially a jet engine turbine turning a generator and don't use diesel either) - heavy residual oil is much less expensive than diesel. The emergency generators are the ones that generally run on diesel.

We have just returned from a cruise with P&O and DH did an indepth ships tour and regaled me with all kind of 'useless' facts, and the fuel used was one of them.

Whilst outside of territorial waters they burn the heavier oil as this produces more soot and pollution, but whilst in territorial waters, near land they run on the cleaner lighter oil, so less soot and pollution.

The heavy oil is a fraction of the price of the cleaner diesel.

Just goes to show, you never know when these facts will come in useful!!

We have just returned from a cruise with P&O and DH did an indepth ships tour and regaled me with all kind of 'useless' facts, and the fuel used was one of them.

Whilst outside of territorial waters they burn the heavier oil as this produces more soot and pollution, but whilst in territorial waters, near land they run on the cleaner lighter oil, so less soot and pollution.

The heavy oil is a fraction of the price of the cleaner diesel.

Just goes to show, you never know when these facts will come in useful!!

Very interesting information. However, I must be missing something. Why would a ship lose power and float around in the ocean for a half an hour? This happened to us on the Navigator at least 10 years ago (it happened more than once but only one time when we were onboard). I mistakenly thought that the issue had been fixed.

Very interesting information. However, I must be missing something. Why would a ship lose power and float around in the ocean for a half an hour? This happened to us on the Navigator at least 10 years ago (it happened more than once but only one time when we were onboard). I mistakenly thought that the issue had been fixed.

Not sure it's a Navigator "issue". Apparently was water in the fuel according to a senior officer. They switched to a different tank and all is well now. Quiet sail away from Nuku Hiva. Hardly noticed it in Compass Rose.

We arrived in Nuku Hiva, the largest of the Marquesas Islands, at noon. By time the ship cleared the first tender left about 1:15. There was only 1 excursion offered. We would board local trucks and drive around the island. We had 5 stops.

We received a warm welcome fbe8098ea67e887cccd6a14ef507cf8c.jpg

View of ship

a8030d2e4ecf2f3437d8f15196c9304c.jpg

Where they filmed the TV reality series Survivorfb31446d6711eee71160b6989146730e.jpg

My favorite stop was for fresh local fruit. The papaya & grapefruit were exquisite. This beautiful lady served us. 6f00dfa1e3ec651fc88104d15dd53def.jpg

We went to Notre Dame Cathedral. The Island is 80% Catholic

d2192afb3992e4039e5e2923bfa76eb7.jpg

We had a short drive from church to an archeological site. That concluded the tour.

5538f4022649bc60fd5e0e912156aee8.jpg

Thank you for your kind words. I forgot to mention that we have an amazing lady on board...June Tureya. Besides the Chef she is the most popular person on the ship. She teaches us all things Hawaiian and Polynesian. She is the one who brought all of our flowers on board to teach us how to string our beautiful leis. The other day we made bracelets from hand painted kukui nuts. Here it is next to my lei that is still going strong.

eab89fd9c47f0025f4fd6489623c1fd5.jpg