Viking Sun World Cruise ongoing review/comments

Jim Avery

For any 2019 WC people following this thread, just to let you know, this morning the general list of shore excursions for each port has gone up. And, it looks like the cruise is about half sold...

30 plus percent of the 2018 WC have signed up for the 2019 WC . Not bad for a start !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As far as the 2019 WC so far, there are a few tweaks but mainly the same inclusions. Gone are the included medical service and the OBC, instead of amounts for different uses as on this trip, are given as a lump sum for use as you wish. The itinerary is very interesting with only a few repeats from this year. ...;p:cool:

Hi Jim, thank you for your posts- they are real treasure to us! :D

Sorry, I could not get what you you meant in the quote above. Did Viking drop medical service? I noticed that latest announcement of WC 2019 has different OBC compare to initial announcement- $1,000 per person now instead of $2,000 and additional $500 for members instead of $1,000. It is $3,000 short of promise and now no medical service?! Not that we need this but anyone could have one issue or another that might require doctors consultation. You also mention lump sum...but for what?

Thank you very much for your help!

Oh, and the huge thank you to Eaches for the beautiful pictures!

Hi Jim, thank you for your posts- they are real treasure to us! :D

Sorry, I could not get what you you meant in the quote above. Did Viking drop medical service? I noticed that latest announcement of WC 2019 has different OBC compare to initial announcement- $1,000 per person now instead of $2,000 and additional $500 for members instead of $1,000. It is $3,000 short of promise and now no medical service?! Not that we need this but anyone could have one issue or another that might require doctors consultation. You also mention lump sum...but for what?

Thank you very much for your help!

Oh, and the huge thank you to Eaches for the beautiful pictures!

Are you looking at the OBC after January 1 , they did reduce the allowances after that date but may offer other perks on cabins that are not moving well. I would contact your travel agent to see the current promotion .

Eaches is right, it is a changing thing. Sales are reportedly going very well. One source says it is already half sold. No segments as is this year too due to it selling out. Yes, they have dropped the included medical. That is not really a great perk as DW has been down twice to the Dr. (ear infection, not catching) and the included is only the basic Dr. exam. Medicine is billed to your account. The good news is they charge rest of world prices for meds, not the crazy amounts charged in the US.

Eaches is right, it is a changing thing. Sales are reportedly going very well. One source says it is already half sold. No segments as is this year too due to it selling out. Yes, they have dropped the included medical. That is not really a great perk as DW has been down twice to the Dr. (ear infection, not catching) and the included is only the basic Dr. exam. Medicine is billed to your account. The good news is they charge rest of world prices for meds, not the crazy amounts charged in the US.

My wife had a small issue and the great medical staff took care of it and the total cost was 11.50 for a keg brace !

I have $3000 OBC for the 2019 WC. When I go to MVJ, the first thing that pops up is a notice that I have that much credit to use “now,” (meaning as soon as it is time for me to book shore ex) and any left over will be transferred to my OBC account on the ship. I take that to mean if I have $2500 in shore ex my OBC will lay that, and then when I get on the ship, I can use the remaining $500 for spa and salon. But the shore ex look fantastic, and I’m sure I will use my allotment right away!

I have $3000 OBC for the 2019 WC. When I go to MVJ, the first thing that pops up is a notice that I have that much credit to use “now,” (meaning as soon as it is time for me to book shore ex) and any left over will be transferred to my OBC account on the ship. I take that to mean if I have $2500 in shore ex my OBC will lay that, and then when I get on the ship, I can use the remaining $500 for spa and salon. But the shore ex look fantastic, and I’m sure I will use my allotment right away!

You are right. And our generous OBC disappeared in a day when we started booking shore excursions. Then the credit card came out for more........:eek:

You are right. And our generous OBC disappeared in a day when we started booking shore excursions. Then the credit card came out for more........:eek:

I think my haircut was $28. Plus tip .

Are the shore excursions out for the Next WC in 19 ? How can we see them ? Jim are you going ?

USA Today has a beautiful photo spread of the Viking Sun online today in the travel section. More than 100 photos. Much better shots than I can take. Will be a good link to send to friends to showcase the beautiful ship.

Can you send us the link - I can’t seem to find it “

Thanks

Are the shore excursions out for the Next WC in 19 ? How can we see them ? Jim are you going ?

Someone said they went up on the Viking Oceans website yesterday, I assume for those already booked. Maybe the gang down on deck one at Guest Services could show us some of them. As far as booking, we have not decided yet but really like the itinerary. Between the two years there will not have been much missed out there. Sounds like they have already sold about half the cabins. :cool:

Yes, they appeared yesterday. Just pull up the 2019 WC and go to the itinerary and each day has the shore ex listed. I am sitting at my dining room table now making my list. Some are just spectacular. Viking did a great job! So, if you are having a Sea day, do sit down and investigate them. My OBC is going to last about 30 seconds. But my real question is how do you book all 55 excursions at once at 1am? It will take a long time. I wish I could just compile my card, and then buy at the magic moment...

Yes, they appeared yesterday. Just pull up the 2019 WC and go to the itinerary and each day has the shore ex listed. I am sitting at my dining room table now making my list. Some are just spectacular. Viking did a great job! So, if you are having a Sea day, do sit down and investigate them. My OBC is going to last about 30 seconds. But my real question is how do you book all 55 excursions at once at 1am? It will take a long time. I wish I could just compile my card, and then buy at the magic moment...

Unless they have changed the format, yes, it does take some time. Don't be too concerned with jumping on as soon as possible (like Southwest Arilines before Early Bird) as we had no problem booking whatever we wanted. And we are NOT in an Owner's Suite.... I should be but they did not recognize my genius and upgrade me......;p:cool:

Genius, I also will have my wife hold up my keg of IPA so I don’t have to spring for a keg brace ;p

Poor, poor Carol. The things she does for you. In order for her back to fully heal, you should cut back to pony kegs for a while. She can hold them up much easier....:cool:

Poor, poor Carol. The things she does for you. In order for her back to fully heal, you should cut back to pony kegs for a while. She can hold them up much easier....:cool:

The First Ever Viking World Cruise Choir where excellent tonight doing songs from South Pacific the musical . Great Job Done by all ! Heather our Great Cruise director was Wonderful once again! af8f008df676d12075ad951a3daf5345.jpg146a840b56fcbea5fc477d75b144b556.jpg4bfedcc7b15acef4972820de1481db82.jpg

The First Ever Viking World Cruise Choir where excellent tonight doing songs from South Pacific the musical . Great Job Done by all ! Heather our Great Cruise director was Wonderful once again! af8f008df676d12075ad951a3daf5345.jpg146a840b56fcbea5fc477d75b144b556.jpg4bfedcc7b15acef4972820de1481db82.jpg

Wow!!!! Looks like it was great fun for those in the choir and their audience.

Hi Jim and Lois! Looks like a fabulous trip of a lifetime! I’m on SeaDream now and all is great. A fun group of people and an even better roomie! Heehee! I just love being here. Cheers and Enjoy!

Robin

Hi Jim and Lois! Looks like a fabulous trip of a lifetime! I’m on SeaDream now and all is great. A fun group of people and an even better roomie! Heehee! I just love being here. Cheers and Enjoy!

Robin

Greeting from Tongatapu, Tonga - the weather is beautiful

c65eaf198e62fcbfe778c06ee639eaf4.jpge30045f4c3d86c89c5ba46fbd342a8ea.jpg