Do you like to travel and take photos?

pierces

Homeland Security Photographer!

$80k - $100k per year and some travel required.

Excerpts:

This job is open to…

All US Citizens

U. S. Citizenship Required

Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for Selective Service

You must be able to obtain a Top Secret Security Clearance

You must submit to a pre-employment drug test

You may be required to serve a one year probationary period

You may be required to work other than normal duty hours

Work may require travel on military or commercial aircraft

You may be required to be on call 24 hours a day

Specialized Experience:

You qualify for the GS-12 grade level (starting salary $79,720) if you possess one year of specialized experience at the GS-11 grade level performing duties such as demonstrating a thorough understanding of the principles, practices and techniques of photography, image processing and image management.

Note: Experience in operating standard and specialized camera and film processing equipment related to the position to be filled. Knowledge of the subject-matter being photographed may also be required for some positions. For positions that require a high degree of artistic or creative ability, samples of work or other suitable evidence of technical competence may be required.

If you are a US govenrment-employed GS11-level expert in photography with Top Secret clearance, no drug history, registered for the draft, and are artistically capable of makiing the things the government does look interesting, here's the website:

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/487153900

Having read hundreds of job requirement blurbs over the years, I always get a chuckle out of the ones that tout "Anyone may apply" and then procede to post requirements that filter it down to about three people in the world that might qualify. My favorite was a job that had a firm requirement of five years experience with a software package that had been released six months prior to the posting. I think one of Dr. Who's companions got that one.

I think I'll keep doing photography for the love of it...

Dave

Easy.

Get hired at the pittance they're offering to probably work in the DC Metro area, and have to commute on a daily basis to DHS Headquarters (shudders).

Get your Top Secret clearance, probably with endorsements.

Go to work for a Beltway Bandit at half again the salary and be placed on contract back in the same office...

) if you possess one year of specialized experience at the GS-11 grade level performing duties such as demonstrating a thorough understanding of the principles, practices and techniques of photography, image processing and image management.

Note: Experience in operating standard and specialized camera and film processing equipment

Dave

Usually when anyone is invited to apply, and "if you possess one year ..." HSA has already someone in mind.

I'm a Vet, have done processing in Anscochrome and Cibachrome processing ... wonder if I should apply - despite my age?!

Usually when anyone is invited to apply, and "if you possess one year ..." HSA has already someone in mind.

I'm a Vet, have done processing in Anscochrome and Cibachrome processing ... wonder if I should apply - despite my age?!

I'm sure it was filled before notice was sent.

framer

I'm sure it was filled before notice was sent.

framer

Actually, no.

The hiring official will get a referral list containing a bunch of people already in government who have a really good KSA writer to demonstrate why they're fully qualified for the list, probably with no portfolio. It will then have a second list of equally "fully qualified" individuals with 10 point veteran's preference. The one person who is an expert photographer, has a great portfolio, with a current TS/SCI (the announcement only required collateral) clearance and years of experience, but not currently a government employee or a 10 point vet, will never even be seen...

And the one year experience is to be hired as a GS-12 instead of a GS-11.

(Been the hiring official.)

$80k - $100k per year and some travel required.

Excerpts:

This job is open to…

All US Citizens

U. S. Citizenship Required

Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for Selective Service

You must be able to obtain a Top Secret Security Clearance

You must submit to a pre-employment drug test

You may be required to serve a one year probationary period

You may be required to work other than normal duty hours

Work may require travel on military or commercial aircraft

You may be required to be on call 24 hours a day

Specialized Experience:

You qualify for the GS-12 grade level (starting salary $79,720) if you possess one year of specialized experience at the GS-11 grade level performing duties such as demonstrating a thorough understanding of the principles, practices and techniques of photography, image processing and image management.

Note: Experience in operating standard and specialized camera and film processing equipment related to the position to be filled. Knowledge of the subject-matter being photographed may also be required for some positions. For positions that require a high degree of artistic or creative ability, samples of work or other suitable evidence of technical competence may be required.

If you are a US govenrment-employed GS11-level expert in photography with Top Secret clearance, no drug history, registered for the draft, and are artistically capable of makiing the things the government does look interesting, here's the website:

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/487153900

Having read hundreds of job requirement blurbs over the years, I always get a chuckle out of the ones that tout "Anyone may apply" and then procede to post requirements that filter it down to about three people in the world that might qualify. My favorite was a job that had a firm requirement of five years experience with a software package that had been released six months prior to the posting. I think one of Dr. Who's companions got that one.

I think I'll keep doing photography for the love of it...

Dave

Funny.....

You should have seen the requirements for MY job! :D

The one part of those requirements that I truly don't get, however, is why the hell would you need "film processing equipment"!?!? I haven't used a darkroom in 25 years....digital makes darkrooms pretty much a thing of the past, but whatever...typical, I guess....

Krazy Kruisers,

Get over yourself.

It says this job is open to all US citizens, with the caveat that if you are a male born more recently than 12/31/1959 you have to be registered for selective service. That sentence doesn't mean women can't apply it just means that as a male you have the added responsibility to have met the selective service duties.

So the discrimination is not against women applying, the discrimination is that women don't have to register for selective service.

Discrimination!!!!!

Why can't women apply for this job????

I see nothing about women being able to apply for this job.

Krazy Kruizers, I thought the same thing. :)

Krazy Kruisers,

Get over yourself.

It says this job is open to all US citizens, with the caveat that if you are a male born more recently than 12/31/1959 you have to be registered for selective service. That sentence doesn't mean women can't apply it just means that as a male you have the added responsibility to have met the selective service duties.

So the discrimination is not against women applying, the discrimination is that women don't have to register for selective service.

When I read that, I was honestly thinking the same thing as Krazy Kruizers. ;p Thanks for the explanation and good to know we aren't being discriminated against...although I think this position would be a little too demanding for me and I'm also a "novice" and enjoy taking pictures as a hobby.

Krazy Kruizers, I thought the same thing. :)

When I read that, I was honestly thinking the same thing as Krazy Kruizers. ;p Thanks for the explanation and good to know we aren't being discriminated against...although I think this position would be a little too demanding for me and I'm also a "novice" and enjoy taking pictures as a hobby.

Different life experiences; I've spent my entire adult life in or around federal service (mostly uniformed). Every announcement on USA Jobs (federal government's recruiting site) has that language. It's mandated by federal law. Which means I don't even see that sentence in an announcement. If you're not used to reading them, it would jump out at you (which it clearly did).

Different life experiences; I've spent my entire adult life in or around federal service (mostly uniformed). Every announcement on USA Jobs (federal government's recruiting site) has that language. It's mandated by federal law. Which means I don't even see that sentence in an announcement. If you're not used to reading them, it would jump out at you (which it clearly did).

It sure did. :) We live in the DC area where there are a lot of federal gov't jobs, but I never applied for one, so that was also new language for me. As they say, you learn something new every day. :) And thank you for your service!