Viking World Cruise

Srguppy

My problem may be getting off the ship without a visa :(

Will you be going on a tour? Maybe you can arrange something around that. If Algiers is like Russia, you will not be allowed off the boat unless you have that expensive visa or are part of a tour.

Will you be going on a tour? Maybe you can arrange something around that. If Algiers is like Russia, you will not be allowed off the boat unless you have that expensive visa or are part of a tour.

Great idea, I can possibly tie it in with one of our tour's photo stops.

Well said, Deec and Jim Avery.

We are so much looking foward to this trip. You have said pretty much what I would have explained about why and how we are going.

And I too, have a 91 yr old mother, independent, but she broke her hip in Oct. She is recovering nicely and has said, "go while you can"!

Anyway, see you all in Miami in 5 days or in LA soon. We will have a wonderful time.

Wagnerite, I'm now sorry that we didnt go through a travel agent and get that big discount. I didn't know. See you soon.

Donna

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

As much as I like Viking, I can't imagine doing this. Spending two weeks on a cruise learning about each destination is pretty overwhelming. But going to over a hundred places in 150 days!

And the cruise is sold out! Who is going? And why?

Once, about 40 years or so ago and just after my best friend in the universe and I got married, we saw an advertisement for the inaugural "Around the World" trip on the QE2 in National Geographic. We had barely enough money, would have to give up our apartment, jobs, and likely any chance of buying a house, but we still thought long and hard about it but opted for the "responsible route". Yet we continued to dreamed about it. The thought would creep into our conversations every few years, decade after decade.

Well things are different now and We are not going to worry about being responsible, not be burdened by what we might have done. . Rather, we are going to make these last 20-25 years a blast. So first, we are doing this trip because we did not do it 40 years ago. Second, because it will take us places we likely might not have thought about exploring in the first place, and finally, we might discover places to explore in depth. If we like it maybe we'll do the one next year. If not, we'll go back to conventional travel, 4-8 weeks in an area, car, maps, ipad, and rick steves books in hand.

Once, about 40 years or so ago and just after my best friend in the universe and I got married, we saw an advertisement for the inaugural "Around the World" trip on the QE2 in National Geographic. We had barely enough money, would have to give up our apartment, jobs, and likely any chance of buying a house, but we still thought long and hard about it but opted for the "responsible route". Yet we continued to dreamed about it. The thought would creep into our conversations every few years, decade after decade.

Well things are different now and We are not going to worry about being responsible, not be burdened by what we might have done. . Rather, we are going to make these last 20-25 years a blast. So first, we are doing this trip because we did not do it 40 years ago. Second, because it will take us places we likely might not have thought about exploring in the first place, and finally, we might discover places to explore in depth. If we like it maybe we'll do the one next year. If not, we'll go back to conventional travel, 4-8 weeks in an area, car, maps, ipad, and rick steves books in hand.

Hope you post every once and awhile during your great adventure.

I love your attitude and living your dream from long ago!

• 2 weeks later...

We are on the ship from Miami going all the way and we are loving it . From the Hot Cars in Cuba to Panama Canal Lock master waving good bye to us , everything is Great ! 42e45be56ecd9e60c31eb347870931ab.jpgIMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171231/b9aecd8033994151a34c5502d36b168f.jpg[/img]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Just got home from a cruise on the Sky and found a brochure for the 2019 World Cruise in the mail. WOW! That's gonna be great. It's very different from the one underway right now. Except for a few exceptions, no more 2 sea days back to back. And not passing thru either the Suez or Panama Canals but going around Cape Horn and the Cape of Good Hope. Clearly, the Orion will take care of cruises involving the North Pacific. Hope you have a wonderful time getting prepared for (anticipating) and going on that cruise.

My problem may be getting off the ship without a visa :(

Per the brochure we received today, Viking will provide a complimentary visa service with the caveat that you use their "recommended visa service". Ask your Viking TA about it or, if you're going thru your own TA, ask them to inquire with Viking.

We have a reservation for the 2019 World Cruise and appreciate any information the WC have to share. We were laughing about some of our initial worries: pills, paper products and mail but I was impressed that a forward traveler even prepared for an IRS extension.

We are also on the 2019 WC. Many 2017-18 cruisers have shared great suggestions. Also, I found this on CC:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1797 about preparing. There are at least three times that sea days are 6+. But the excursions for that cruise, which are now posted in general, look wonderful. I think it’s time to start a new thread or roll call for the 2029 WC. And Eaches says 30% of this year’s world cruisers have signed up for the 2019 WC.

We are also on the 2019 WC. Many 2017-18 cruisers have shared great suggestions. Also, I found this on CC:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1797 about preparing. There are at least three times that sea days are 6+. But the excursions for that cruise, which are now posted in general, look wonderful. I think it’s time to start a new thread or roll call for the 2029 WC. And Eaches says 30% of this year’s world cruisers have signed up for the 2019 WC.

You're right. I just ran thru the itinerary carefully. And if I counted and tabulated things correctly - there are 64 sea days out 128 inc one 8 sea day stretch in the Indian Ocean.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Per the brochure we received today, Viking will provide a complimentary visa service with the caveat that you use their "recommended visa service". Ask your Viking TA about it or, if you're going thru your own TA, ask them to inquire with Viking.

We used Viking’s visa services for Viking’s 2017/2018 WC and everything work Great . I would only give these recommendations to you . Get your requests in early. The visa service can’t make up for the people who send their requests in late. Also many countries hold your completed visa until 4 or 5 weeks prior to your cruise departure date . India is one those countries. Don’t try and do it on your own . If anything pay for the faster service .

I called Viking’s dedicated WC agent and she actually gave me the number of the service they use so I could see how far in advance we have to send in our passports. I was a bit worried because some of this year’s W cruisers had to send in 6 months ahead, and we will be on Homelands cruise until the end of June. But I was told we only need two visas, for Brazil and Australia, and so it shouldn’t take as long. All in all, Viking seems really on top of things.

I have been reading the Viking WC and also threads of WC on Crystal, Regents, Hal, Seabourn.

It seems their cruises are open in segments and others can join a segment with the WC 'ers.

Viking seems to be unique in not doing this.

On Viking Sun, all are WC leaving from LA to London for the whole WC.

I think it is the same for the 2019 WC too.

I have not specifically asked Viking this question, but I did some research before we booked, and I could not come up with any other cruises on the Sun during that time period. So, I think it is a dedicated WC. However, if they don’t sell out, I imagine that could change. But they already have quite a few categories sold out and it is only January...

I called Viking’s dedicated WC agent and she actually gave me the number of the service they use so I could see how far in advance we have to send in our passports. I was a bit worried because some of this year’s W cruisers had to send in 6 months ahead, and we will be on Homelands cruise until the end of June. But I was told we only need two visas, for Brazil and Australia, and so it shouldn’t take as long. All in all, Viking seems really on top of things.

They are correct, there’s only Two Visas required for the next Viking WC . I don’t know about Brazil but Australia is a piece of cake and GenVisa will do all the work for you .