Which lines include gratuities in the cost and which are paid separately

annc

I've heard that Uniworld now includes gratuities in the cost up front. What about the other lines? We are comparing costs between Uniworld and Amawaterways for a Christmas Market tour this Dec.

Thank you!

AnnC

All gratuities are included in Uniworld's pricing, including guides and drivers. Their statement under all-Inclusive luxury Europe cruises ""All gratuities

onboard and onshore"

Here is AMA's policy from their FAQ section:

Gratuities to your Cruise Manager and ship crew are not included in the vacation price. While the amount of these gratuities will depend upon your degree of satisfaction for services received, many of our clients have asked us for general tipping guidelines. Here are our recommendations:

Europe: For great service, we recommend 3 Euros per passenger, per day for the Cruise Manager and 12 Euros per passenger, per day for the crew, which will be divided up among the ship's personnel. It is also customary to acknowledge a particularly good performance of a local guide by leaving a tip of 1-2 Euros per tour and Bus Drivers 1 Euro. Gratuities on most vessels, but not all, may be charged on credit card as well as cash.

Vietnam & Cambodia: Pre and Post Cruise: National Guide US $2 per person per day. Local Guides, US $1 per person per half-day tour, US $2 per person per full day tour. Bus Drivers, US $.50 per person for half-day tour, US $2 per person for full day tour.

Cruise: Cruise Director, US $2 per person per day. Ship's Crew, US $10 per person per day. Cruise Guide in Cambodia, US $2-3 per person per day (covers all shore excursions in Cambodia). Cruise Guide in Vietnam, US $2-3 per person per day (covers all shore excursions in Vietnam.)

Africa: Gratuities are not included in the vacation price. The suggested tipping policy on board is between $65-80 per cabin for the 4-night cruise. Of course, all tips are at the traveler's personal discretion.

Even lines that include all gratuities on board don't always cover guides and drivers on excursions. Check the small print carefully.
And some lines include gratuities to day trip guides and drivers on excursions (which while small, always require you to plan ahead to have appropriate change), but suggest / expect the passengers to tip the ship staff and Cruise Director(s) at the end of the trip. Personally I look at what the cruise line (ocean or river) suggests as gratuities and add those to the fare to arrive at the "actual" price of the cruise.

Note that Uniworld includes gratuities in Europe. Check other locations carefully, including the Douro as the inclusions may not be the same.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Forums mobile app

Going with U on the Douro. Have not seen anything about gratuities not included. Read the cruise pdf document. Let me know if I missed something. Easy to do.

I read elsewhere that Viking has you pay the Douro tips in cash, no credit card as in the case for the rest of Europe..

The FAQ section of UbyUniworld.com states

• Are Gratuities included in published fares?
  • Yes, gratuities for onboard and shore excursions are included in the published fares

.It doesn't seem to qualify it in any way.

I've sailed with Scenic and Emerald. All gratuities, including those for drivers and guides, are included.

Airport transfers are also included if you are arriving and departing the day of the cruise even if you did not book airfare with them.

I've heard that Uniworld now includes gratuities in the cost up front. What about the other lines? We are comparing costs between Uniworld and Amawaterways for a Christmas Market tour this Dec.

Thank you!

AnnC

Tauck fees also include the gratuities.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Vantage has begun including gratuities for bus drivers and tour guides in their base prices. That still leaves the larger tips for shipboard personnel, but it eliminates the uncomfortable experience of tracking down the tour guide and dropping money in her/his hand or being a little embarrassed when getting off the bus with no tip after your spouse has already tipped the driver!

Vantage has begun including gratuities for bus drivers and tour guides in their base prices. That still leaves the larger tips for shipboard personnel, but it eliminates the uncomfortable experience of tracking down the tour guide and dropping money in her/his hand or being a little embarrassed when getting off the bus with no tip after your spouse has already tipped the driver!

That's hilarious about feeling awkward when your husband has already tipped and you get off later...same thing here!

Really love this board for all the helpful information - like this post. Really helps you do an apples to apples comparison when you are comparing prices between lines. Gratuities do add up when there are several family members sailing - between ship staff and then tips for drivers and guides. While we always tip extra to those on board or on a tour who make the experience even that much more special - the awkwardness of tipping drivers and guides as you are departing a bus I could do without. I do have to say on our recent AMA sailing - ALL the guides were awesome and really enhanced each tour.