Old Town Trolley vs City View Trolley

sharecruises

Hi....

will be in KW Nov 12 8:00am to to 4:30pm

on MSC Poesia

Have been to KW before (and live in Florida)

I will have a pretty good sized group with me who want to hang out together

Last times in Key West we walked around, went to Irish Kevin's (fun)....some did Hemingway house

I am thinking about going on Old Town Trolley OR City View Trolley

City View is cheaper I know.

We are not huge sightseers, most of us have been to Key West before...may want to get on/off, grab a drink, check out Irish Kevins and some may want to get off at attractions

How is the City View Trolley? I have seen it but never been on it, have you?? Suggestions gratefully welcomed...thanks

I highly recommend City View. The tour is nearly the same and is hop on/off just like Old town. They also give seniors, child, and military discounts. Another advantage is their seats are padded, unlike the wood seats on Old town. All together, your group will save a lot of money by going with them.

Edited by Aquahound

I highly recommend City View. The tour is nearly the same and is hop on/off just like Old town. They also give seniors, child, and military discounts. Another advantage is their seats are padded, unlike the wood seats on Old town. All together, your group will save a lot of money by going with them.

$19 pp or $17pp if you buy online before your visit.

http://mobilaurus.com/Cityview/buy1.php?location=keywest

Mike:)

Thanks! I was going to ask the same question!

Just wanted to update everyone. On the City View trolley website is says all kids ride free (but had an expiration date of 5/31) so I called and the lady told me all kids under 12 ride free w/ no expiration date!!

That seals the deal for me:D

I also think the Ship's all sell the Old Town Trolley Tour..so that means higher price right there

This is some great information....love the padded seats...

City View it is ...thanks again !!!!

One of our local overdevelopers, Ed Swift, owns the Old Town Trollies. Sadly, the cruise ships are not immune from his local influence. You should have seen the legal battle he put up trying to block City View from coming in. Anyways, you don't care about all that. All that aside, City View is less expensive, more comfortable, and less an impact on the locals. Thanks for choosing them instead.

• 2 weeks later...
It looks like Old Town covers more of the island than City View does... does anyone know if it is worth (for lack of a better term) seeing that extra 1/2(ish) of the island???

I do not think so. The half you are missing is the part of the island called New Town. While many locals live there, there is not much of interest to tourists. Unless you want to see our home depot, malls, fast food places, the airport and auto dealerships, you will not be missing much. The stops out there are at chain motels and trinket shops that Old Town Trolley owns.

Go with City View and spend your savings on other things.

I do not think so. The half you are missing is the part of the island called New Town. While many locals live there, there is not much of interest to tourists. Unless you want to see our home depot, malls, fast food places, the airport and auto dealerships, you will not be missing much. The stops out there are at chain motels and trinket shops that Old Town Trolley owns.

Go with City View and spend your savings on other things.

+1

I was going to say the exact same thing.

We absolutely loved the City View trolley. So much so in fact, I have the ticket stub stuck to my cubicle wall as a memory. Let me relate my experience.

It was recommendations here (thank you) that had us give them a try. We purchased our tickets ahead of time and saved decent money. The day we arrived I tried to find the tickets I printed and couldn't. I expected to have to pay again. We quickly found the starting location when we got off the ship and we approached the first uniformed employee we saw. We told him we had forgotten our pre-paid tickets. He asked me what day we bought them and what our name was. He got out his blackberry, found the confirmation and had the girls print out new ones. I was very happy. We took one complete tour around the island with a great young lady and on the 2nd time we stopped at the Southern point and got off and did the pictures. We talked 2 blocks back to the stop and waited about 5 minutes for the next one where we had an equally entertaining driver. We got off at the Hemmingway house and really enjoyed that tour followed by lunch at the Blackfin Bistro. We ended up pleasurably walking all the way back to the ship, but saw the trolley go by several times. They were part of a great day.

Thanks for your follow up. I can never understand why so many people continue to pay $10 more per person to the Old Town Trolley Company. No doubt he has locked up the cruise ship excursions, but do a little research and save enough for lunch! Glad you enjoyed your day.

Thanks for your follow up. I can never understand why so many people continue to pay $10 more per person to the Old Town Trolley Company. No doubt he has locked up the cruise ship excursions, but do a little research and save enough for lunch! Glad you enjoyed your day.

Ed Swift (owner of the Conch Tour Train and The Old Town Trolley) has most of the town and ALL of the policticians in his hip pocket.

You will be hard pressed to visit Key West without spending money at one of his ventures.

Mike;)

Ed Swift (owner of the Conch Tour Train and The Old Town Trolley) has most of the town and ALL of the policticians in his hip pocket.

You will be hard pressed to visit Key West without spending money at one of his ventures.

Mike;)

Yea, no kidding. Back in, I believe, 2005, MTV's Real World filmed in his next door neighbor's house. Would you believe he filed an injunction in attempt to stop the increased traffic and noise on his road? :rolleyes:

Yea, no kidding. Back in, I believe, 2005, MTV's Real World filmed in his next door neighbor's house. Would you believe he filed an injunction in attempt to stop the increased traffic and noise on his road? :rolleyes:

Remember it well, but even Ed was no match for Hollywood and the series prevailed.:D

Mike:)

We will be in KW this coming Sept and seriously considering with City View trolley for the reduced price and padded seats. I have a question: does it go all the way to the lighthouse/Southermost part??? Someone mentioned it and I just want to confirm it. many Thanks. Aquahound?...I know you live in the Conch Republic, so this is a good question for you...;)

We will be in KW this coming Sept and seriously considering with City View trolley for the reduced price and padded seats. I have a question: does it go all the way to the lighthouse/Southermost part??? Someone mentioned it and I just want to confirm it. many Thanks. Aquahound?...I know you live in the Conch Republic, so this is a good question for you...;)

I am not Aquahound, but I also live in Key West and can tell you that Citi View does include Southernmost Point and the lighthouse. It includes all of Old Town. I think it is the much better deal.

Edited by keywester33

I am not Aquahound, but I also live in Key West and can tell you that Citi View does include Southernmost Point and the lighthouse. It includes all of Old Town. I think it is the much better deal.

Thank you so much for this answer keywester33. We are really leaning towards this one tour of Key West and wanted to see both the lighthouse and the Southernmost Point. Your answer seals it. have a great week-end! :)

I will add one small point - City View has a stop about 2 blocks from the southern point and they drive by it. If you want to get your picture taken at the point, you have to get off at the stop,.walk to the point, and then back to the bus stop. The day I was there about 50 people were waiting to take their pictures. The line was self controlling, moved along well and people helped each other take pictures.

southern.jpg

Edited by BillOh
typo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...