Whale Shark Season in Sea of Cortez?

SadieN

We are going on the Sapphire Princess March and will be in La Paz (Sea of Cortez) on March 5.

Thinking about snorkeling with Whale Sharks. Do whale sharks have a season?

Any info is greatly appreciated. Did a search and all the recent-ish info is about Gulf, Caribbean or summer.

Cross-posting on the Mexican Riviera board.

Edited by SadieN

• 2 months later...

Found out :)

They are usually gone by the end of February.

We were lucky enough to swim three times with at least two different whale sharks March 5.

At one point there were at least 36 different individual whale sharks near La Paz.

• 2 years later...

We are considering a Princess cruise in early December with a stop in La Paz, specifically to snorkel with the whale sharks. Will they be there at that time of year? I think I read that January/February is optimal, but I have to go between semesters when I have time off.

• 1 year later...

Just following up after my question from last year... we did see many whale sharks in early December. We did a private excursion where we were divided into small groups, and I got to go three times. It was amazing.

IMG_3534b.JPG.9b6ca74a02a360a2ec29f97152617177.JPG

Just following up after my question from last year... we did see many whale sharks in early December. We did a private excursion where we were divided into small groups, and I got to go three times. It was amazing.

Wow!!!! Love your photo! Who did you go through on the private excursion? Swimming/diving with whale sharks is on my daughter's bucket list.

We used Espiritu and Baja Tours. They were recommended by another CC member I found somewhere here in the depths of CC. They picked us up at the ship and drove us to their shop where we payed and got gear, then drove us a very short distance to their boat. They took us directly back to the ship by boat. It was very convenient.

They limit the boats to 12 people. It helps to be a strong swimmer when the shark starts to move, but mostly we were watching them while they were feeding. They kind of rotate around in place, and you just need to rotate too to stay away from the mouth.

Here is their website: http://www.espiritubaja.com.mx/index.php

I corresponded with Irene at espiritubaja at gmail dot com