Crib or Pack and Play

srhay

• 2 weeks later...
NCL is pack n play. I agree about bringing your own sheets regardless of crib or pnp. They didn't have crib sheets and used flat sheets tucked around the base. That's not good for a six month old.

Travelhound, sorry to jump into this conversation, but we have booked an NCL cruise coming up soon, with our daughter and grandson. Do you happen to know how big the pack 'n play is? Our grandson will be 16 months and approx. 28 pounds.

Anyone have experience carrying their own on the plane?

Thank you for any advice.

Travelhound, sorry to jump into this conversation, but we have booked an NCL cruise coming up soon, with our daughter and grandson. Do you happen to know how big the pack 'n play is? Our grandson will be 16 months and approx. 28 pounds.

The standard is 33x28 or so with a weight limit of 30 lbs and 35". Does he sleep in one now? Honestly, I think it's hard for most kids that age to sleep in one unless they're already used to it at daycare or somewhere else that they use it often. When my son was that old we tried when we went out of town briefly and he would not sleep in it.

Thank you so much for the size. I think it would be a bit too small. He actually slept in one at our home (while visiting) until recently. I can buy one that is longer and bring it along, but just, I guess, wonder about bringing it on the plane and would it get damaged when checking it with other luggage.

Thanks so much for your feedback.

You're welcome! They are a bit small to sleep in once they his 12 months or so, but I know some kids at daycares/sitters use them regularly so they are old pros at sleeping in them.

My youngest had just turned 2 when we took him and while Carnival gave us a crib that was more like home because it was elevated where the PNPs are so low to the ground, it was still very small and he did not like it. He ended up sleeping between us and did a great job that way, even though he never sleeps with us at home.

I've also heard of the stewards being able to roll up towels and put them under the sheet when they make up the couch so there's a sort of barrier on the edge for little ones. That might work if your grandson is the type that can fall asleep in one place like the bed or stroller and be easily moved.

I've attached a picture of a pack n play in our inside cabin on NCL Pearl. There's nothing special about them so I'm sure they're just the standard size pnp. I think he would be fine. As pp mentioned, he may or may not like sleeping in them, but I'd give it a try. We never owned one so our dd was not used to sleeping in them. Her only experience was at my SIL's when she was a year old and I'm sure she doesn't remember that. She's always been hard to get to sleep but once she is asleep, she sleeps hard. If you were willing to lug one through the airport, my guess is he's slept in one before. I certainly would not carry one on the plane, but make sure you request one on your reservation and bring your own sheet, light blanket and anything he usually sleeps with.

If it's an inside cabin as show here, I'd also recommend not giving him anything that could be a projectile. I made the mistake of giving her a sippy cup and when she was finished she just threw it out of the pnp, landing right on my head. :)

pearlinside.jpg.328d8a4f06dc0e3f480666ffeca862f4.jpg

Thank you so much for both replies. The photo is really helpful. Little guy has to be contained somehow, as he's very restless when he sleeps.

We have balcony cabins on the Breakaway booked. Hopefully I can sort this out. Thank you again.

We've been on the Breakaway with a balcony and it was the first time we ditched the pnp because it was really in the way. The only place to put it was in front of the couch which completely blocked the balcony door and the desk chair. She was three by then anyway and we had her sleep on the couch.

However, check to see what kind of room you have. Hopefully this will make sense. There are two different configurations. One has the bed when you first walk in followed by the couch and balcony. The other has the couch first. We had the bed first, which made the pnp in front of the balcony door. If the couch would have been when we walked in I think it would have been fine. When you look at the deck layout you'll see little bump outs into each diagram. The part that bumps into the room is where the couch is. See if you can tell what configuration you have.

OP: Sorry to hijack this thread. You didn't say which ship you were on, so maybe this is helpful for you, maybe not.

Edited by travelhound

However, check to see what kind of room you have. Hopefully this will make sense. There are two different configurations. One has the bed when you first walk in followed by the couch and balcony. The other has the couch first. We had the bed first, which made the pnp in front of the balcony door. If the couch would have been when we walked in I think it would have been fine. When you look at the deck layout you'll see little bump outs into each diagram. The part that bumps into the room is where the couch is. See if you can tell what configuration you have.

OP: Sorry to hijack this thread. You didn't say which ship you were on, so maybe this is helpful for you, maybe not.

I also apologise for hijacking this thread. (Very sorry!)

It is the Breakaway, and the configuration is bed by the balcony.

Thanks for your input.

Just wanted to add that there seems to be some variation in this. Last year on Epic we were given a Graco Travel Lite crib, which is a smaller version of a pack n play. Others have reported full sized ones on the same ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They have that foldable flat thing that they pretend is a mattress. My recommendation for a sheet is because they just use flat sheets from the beds and fold them around. One wiggle and that undone. Uncomfortable for older kids and dangerous for infants. I did fold some and place inside the sheet just to give it a little cushion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

IMO go w a PNP. We tried to use a hotel crib once and DD would not sleep in it. It looked like the carnival crib earlier in the thread. You could always try out your little one for a few nights before you leave to get them accustomed to it. Go with your parent instinct.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

• 1 year later...
I've attached a picture of a pack n play in our inside cabin on NCL Pearl. There's nothing special about them so I'm sure they're just the standard size pnp. I think he would be fine. As pp mentioned, he may or may not like sleeping in them, but I'd give it a try. We never owned one so our dd was not used to sleeping in them. Her only experience was at my SIL's when she was a year old and I'm sure she doesn't remember that. She's always been hard to get to sleep but once she is asleep, she sleeps hard. If you were willing to lug one through the airport, my guess is he's slept in one before. I certainly would not carry one on the plane, but make sure you request one on your reservation and bring your own sheet, light blanket and anything he usually sleeps with.

If it's an inside cabin as show here, I'd also recommend not giving him anything that could be a projectile. I made the mistake of giving her a sippy cup and when she was finished she just threw it out of the pnp, landing right on my head. :)

Thank you for this post and picture! Very helpful!:D