I want to retire on a cruise ship. Suggestions?

gaylenhazel

I'm researching retiring on a cruise ship. I do not want to go with the condo approach. That limits you in many ways.

I'm thinking of trying out a few differnt ships. Have any of you lived for months at a time on a ship? All suggestions and comments are appreciated!

I'm researching retiring on a cruise ship. I do not want to go with the condo approach. That limits you in many ways.

I'm thinking of trying out a few differnt ships. Have any of you lived for months at a time on a ship? All suggestions and comments are appreciated!

When I read the topic heading I wondered what your skills were re employment on a cruise ship :):p:): Sorry I can't help with your enquiry but thanks for the laugh.

On second thoughts - you could possibly try out the cruise lines/ships by offering yourself as a Port or Enrichment Lecturer?

Edited by wishfulone

There are comments and threads here on CC regarding this. My aging memory recalls comments being made about the actual individuals and the daily rate being paid for this ability. Sadly I have no link to offer. I suggest an exhaustive use of the search feature.

The condo approach is buying a condo on a ship just like you do on land. There are some very nice ones available. Not what I'm looking for.

No, I am not wanting to work on a ship. I just want to spend most of the year on board a ship. I was hoping to hear from those that do this. I've met some in my travels.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what I would do:

Summer Alaska whole season.

Back a Coastal cruise and Panama Canal.

Winter Caribbean the Spring Transatlantic.

summer in the Med., fall back Transatlantic.

Then South America.

Cost less Then the World .Seen her in Istanbul.

Cost to buy more then 1 mil. upkeep 50 thousand a year.

Please you have to be selected. Money don't count.

First it would depend on your financial stability. There was just an article about Super Mario who is sailing on Royal Caribbean ships almost the whole year. He also is still working. He mostly stays in intetior cabins. With his sailing history, he receives many perks fom the cruise line and also personally knows many of the crew. I'm sure this is a big help.

My opinion is you should decide which cruise line you like then stick with them for their loyalty program for the extra benefits.. .namely laundry and internet. Then you can begin to book your cruises for B2B2B2B, then switch ships for a few more weeks. Also depends on what your interest are. There are so many opportunities available! :D

Edited by debshomespun

The world, I believe the cabins start at 500k

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

From spring/summer edition of Town and Country Travel Magazine the World starts and 1.5 mill plus maintenance :eek:

"TO INQUIRE ABOUT PURCHASE

(FROM $1.5 MILLION PLUS MAINTENANCE) OR TO VISIT THE WORLD,

GO TO ABOARDTHEWORLD.COM. "

Edited by Ontime Departure

I'm thinking of trying out a few different ships. Have any of you lived for months at a time on a ship? All suggestions and comments are appreciated!

Hoping to retire soon myself, I am FASCINATED with this post and the topic!

I do have a close friend whose sister married into a very wealthy family. Her Grandmother-in-law owned a "investors" condo on the The World. Grand Maw-Maw was so busy with all of her local city charity events and benefits that she rarely sailed. When her "kids" asked her why she was not sailing more, she responded "Every time I sail, I see none of my friends so it's not much fun. They are all too busy at home with their families or charity events."

Grand Maw Maw died about 8 years ago, age 93, and the family estimates she spent less than three years total on The World.

http://aboardtheworld.com/

I would pick 3 or 4 lines that most interest you and do a week or even better longer cruise on each.Ships have definite personalities You will feel most at home on several of them. Make sure lines have a great variety of destinations. As an example CCL is mainly Caribbean so no CCL. .Do WC segments on those with world cruises.Some segments are really short .For myself I would cruise muliple lines and ships .I did 71n Oceania which was fine but would transfer to another cruise option if doing balance of year .Some people like same, same, not me.Boring. Part of the fun of long term cruising would be the varied ships experience. There is one Big cruise discount agency that lists most of WC segments at discounted pricing. Cannot mention here. Several years ago I spent a morning on that site compiling an interesting worldwide cruise on 4-5 lines with just a few days on land. It came out less $ than one long WC also.

• 2 weeks later...

There was (is?) a lady who did this on HAL. I believe she just stayed on the same ship all the time (but I could be mistaken). I think much would depend upon whether you book one or 2 cruises at a time (and accumulate the loyalty points etc.) or whether you are able to book numerous trips at once. I would think that you should be able to negotiate a better rate if you booked a number of them at one time but I could be wrong. Agree with finding the line and/or ship that you like and sticking with it or you won't get the perks that go along with being a frequent/preferred guest. Agree that a lot depends upon your budget as well and your personal preferences. Inside cabin, outside or balcony? Booking alone or with spouse or other? Like having kids around or not? drink? gamble? shore excursions ? etc., etc.

You might want to go on the individual cruise line's boards and post a query regarding those travelers who live most of the year on a ship

ENJOY

I was on Regent several years ago. There was a gentlemen everyone called "the Captain"

He had a table in the corner reserved for him. I know because we spent several meals in that area. He had a bushy white mustase.

Tourguide

There was (is?) a lady who did this on HAL. I believe she just stayed on the same ship all the time (but I could be mistaken). I think much would depend upon whether you book one or 2 cruises at a time (and accumulate the loyalty points etc.) or whether you are able to book numerous trips at once. I would think that you should be able to negotiate a better rate if you booked a number of them at one time but I could be wrong. Agree with finding the line and/or ship that you like and sticking with it or you won't get the perks that go along with being a frequent/preferred guest. Agree that a lot depends upon your budget as well and your personal preferences. Inside cabin, outside or balcony? Booking alone or with spouse or other? Like having kids around or not? drink? gamble? shore excursions ? etc., etc.

You might want to go on the individual cruise line's boards and post a query regarding those travelers who live most of the year on a ship

ENJOY

I met the lady on HAL. Her name was Mama Lou. Very nice lady. This was about 10 years ago. As far as I know (from CC HAL,) she is still on board.

• 3 weeks later...

I would also love to spent most of my time on a cruise. In my case I would select a cruiseline and stay for a couple of months on different ships of that cruise line. I would do that for a couple of years. In between a couple of months "land" vacations.

• 2 weeks later...

We want to do this too. Probably not forever on a cruise ship but certainly a year or two. But our plan is to take a TA to Europe...watching prices..if there is a good deal on a cruise in the med we'll take it...if not...stay 1 month in several of the major cities in Europe (train or Easy Jet to get there)..then take a Suez canal cruise to Dubai. Stay on the ship thru to Singpore/Perth/Sydney depending on the deal to be had. Spend several months in Australia staying in the major cities. (We will use Air BNB etc) Depending upon the time catch a repositioning to New Zealand...stay there a while. Then it's time for a Transpacific home. Stay home until the next TA...repeat with different destinations ie Northern Europe and Japan/China/Hong Kong etc. The plan is to fly as little as possible, watch our spending. We will not have a house waiting for us. Our money will be invested to help mitigate the costs. Yes we will sail on insides unless a really good deal is to be had. We've sailed in suites, balcony's and insides..you are only in your room when you sleep. When we are tired of being on the move...we'll rebuy a house/condo. I've been watching another couples travels that have done exactly this. They have a travel blog called worldwidewaftage. Very inspiring couple.

• 7 months later...

Interesting. Of course, you would need a plan when ship goes to dry dock. I would think you would want to plan a time or two during the year to travel on land. It is amazing what you do save by not having any other expenses....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 months later...

So went ahead and did it starting last Jan 2017. We sold our house

And put our money in the bank invested with a monthly income. We've been aboard a ship since January. It's June now, with cruises booked up to Christmas, when we'll stop by and visit our boys before going again. Having a great time so far.

We want to do this too. Probably not forever on a cruise ship but certainly a year or two. But our plan is to take a TA to Europe...watching prices..if there is a good deal on a cruise in the med we'll take it...if not...stay 1 month in several of the major cities in Europe (train or Easy Jet to get there)..then take a Suez canal cruise to Dubai. Stay on the ship thru to Singpore/Perth/Sydney depending on the deal to be had. Spend several months in Australia staying in the major cities. (We will use Air BNB etc) Depending upon the time catch a repositioning to New Zealand...stay there a while. Then it's time for a Transpacific home. Stay home until the next TA...repeat with different destinations ie Northern Europe and Japan/China/Hong Kong etc. The plan is to fly as little as possible, watch our spending. We will not have a house waiting for us. Our money will be invested to help mitigate the costs. Yes we will sail on insides unless a really good deal is to be had. We've sailed in suites, balcony's and insides..you are only in your room when you sleep. When we are tired of being on the move...we'll rebuy a house/condo. I've been watching another couples travels that have done exactly this. They have a travel blog called worldwidewaftage. Very inspiring couple.

So went ahead and did it starting last Jan 2017. We sold our house

And put our money in the bank invested with a monthly income. We've been aboard a ship since January. It's June now, with cruises booked up to Christmas, when we'll stop by and visit our boys before going again. Having a great time so far.

Wonderful! What did you do with all your "stuff" when you sold your house? :eek: