How Haricapped accessiable is Carnival

dogs4thewin

I am disabled, and use a wheelchair (though I can walk some and transfer just not able to walk or stand long) Last year my family went on a cruise with RC. They were VERY helpful, however mom wishes to go on Carnival as it is cheaper. I could not find many details on their site concerning their acciability ( as opposed to RC which is VERY detailed by ship) I would like to know how Carnival is because I would rather pay more and enjoy the trip, as opposed to have a tough time dealing with them over my limitations.

I am disabled, and use a wheelchair (though I can walk some and transfer just not able to walk or stand long) Last year my family went on a cruise with RC. They were VERY helpful, however mom wishes to go on Carnival as it is cheaper. I could not find many details on their site concerning their acciability ( as opposed to RC which is VERY detailed by ship) I would like to know how Carnival is because I would rather pay more and enjoy the trip, as opposed to have a tough time dealing with them over my limitations.

My personal preference since becoming disabled is Royal Caribbean . The thing to note being that you use a wheelchair and require a fully accessible bathroom is Carnival Ships have both Fully Accessible Cabins and Modified Accessible Cabins. It's important when booking you need to make certain that you book a Fully Accessible Cabin. The bathroom in a Modified Accessible is the same size as a standard cabin bathroom, has step entry into the bathroom and is by no means able to accommodate someone that is not s ambulatory using a cane or a folding walking . The reason it's called a modified accessible cabin is that Carnival added grab bars in the bathroom

actually it was last summer.

XXOO is right (as always), be certain to get a fully accessible cabin. The modified cabins work well for us, but since you are not ambulatory, they will not work well for you.

DH uses a scooter and is ambulatory; however, we have found that there really isn't anywhere on a Carnival ship that he can't get to (other than the running track on Fantasy Class ships).

Edited by Schoifmom

I have traveled on several Carnival ships with my scooter and find them very accessible and the staff to be very helpful - I have been able to get everywhere I wanted to go - only in one area on the Triumph did I have to choose to use a different exit door to the outside deck because of a lip on that particular door. Once I knew that, I always went to a door just a short distance down from the first. I always book very early to get a fully accessible cabin. I am ambulatory with a cane but cannot stand for long or walk long distances.

> Carnival has very limited accessible rooms

Sadly, that seems to be true of most if not all of the major lines. However, my wheelchair-bound SIL sailed on Carnival last summer and found it quite accessible. She also found shore tours she could manage. I can't remember which ship but it was an Eastern Caribbean cruise, possibly out of Galveston.

> Carnival has very limited accessible rooms

Sadly, that seems to be true of most if not all of the major lines. However, my wheelchair-bound SIL sailed on Carnival last summer and found it quite accessible. She also found shore tours she could manage. I can't remember which ship but it was an Eastern Caribbean cruise, possibly out of Galveston.

When we went on RC they had I believe 30 something handicap staterooms. One thing I liked about them is that ON their site they actually have a list of accessiable features by ship I REALLY liked that, but I could not find out on the Carnival.

Additionally, because they are cheaper it may be the case that it harder to get a room because there are BOTH fewer rooms and more people wanting them.

When we went on RC they had I believe 30 something handicap staterooms. One thing I liked about them is that ON their site they actually have a list of accessiable features by ship I REALLY liked that, but I could not find out on the Carnival.

Additionally, because they are cheaper it may be the case that it harder to get a room because there are BOTH fewer rooms and more people wanting them.

I always book at least 6-9 months or more when I want to take a cruise - I work with a PVP and I am not picky about what kind of room I get - I am not a balcony person because I prefer to be out and about on the ship. I have had several ocean view rooms (which on some ships) are listed as interiors or OV with obstructions at the front of the ship. There are more choices of locations with interior and OV but hardly any Carnival balconies that are fully accessible because they were not built to allow wheel chairs to have access out to the balcony and thus cannot be labeled as fully accessible.

• 4 months later...
Imagination is very accessible, but the Sport deck, the pools and front of the ship "outside. i believe.. I have been on Imagination and Paradise.

Imagination and the Inspiration do the 3/4 day cruises out of Los Angeles. Carnival is now using the Catalina Ferries as tenders for Catalina. Completely roll on/off. Have seen scooters and power chairs. These also have bathrooms.

You have to fill out paperwork to let Carnival know of your particular need. I am traveling with my disabled cousin and she needs a fully accessible cabin. We got an upgrade to a Grand Suite from an extended balcony and there is only 1 accessible GS.

• 3 weeks later...

We have traveled all of the major cruise lines. Carnival, in our opinion, is the least accessible. While in vast contrast, NCL is the most accessible. Royal Caribbean falls slightly below NCL. If it were us, we spend a little extra. Trust me it's worth it. Check out our YouTube channel ( https://www.youtube.com/c/cruisingwithwheels ). Its all about cruising with disabilities. Good luck.

We traveled on the Carnival Magic and had an accessible spa cabin that worked well for us. Carnival crew went above and beyond helping us when we needed it, but it is less accessible than other lines. Still, the vacation was really enjoyable on the Magic and I didn't have a lot of complaints overall. We aren't picky travelers though, we just really loved the vacation. The crew at the time was really fun!

It can vary based on the ship, as well. We were on the Magic last year & found everything extremely accessible. (Other than no lifts for the pools & hot tubs, but I personally don't use them anyhow.) But when researching the Legend for our upcoming Alaska cruise, I found it has very few fully accessible cabins, presumably because it's an older ship.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Forums mobile app

Edited by dawnb72413

dogs4thewin,

I have been on 3 Carnival Ships. If you have an accessible cabin then the scooter will easily fit into the cabin. I found Carnival to be very accessible but I am like you I can walk for a little while, but I do appreciate a bench in the shower etc. I think you'll find Carnival to fulfill your needs.

• 3 weeks later...
It's important when booking you need to make certain that you book a Fully Accessible Cabin.

The Carnival page lists 3 types of cabins, and you get 3 choices when making a booking on their website. It is not very clear if the Fully Accessible Cabins - Single Side Approach

is more or less accessible from the FAC.

My mom gets around with a walker, but needs a shower chair and cannot step into a bath tub. The lip up into the bathroom would be an issue too. What should we be requesting?

• 5 weeks later...

With Carnival, please call and talk to the customer service agents. Tells them exactly what you need (i.e. walker, scooter, wheelchair, electric wheelchair, lift, etc.) in a room and they can help you get the perfect room. We had to do this when asking about a room that would fit all our equipment and they were super helpful!

Just a note: Carnival recently updated their website and you can now see and reserve modified and accessible cabins on the website.

• 7 months later...

First time cruising since my disability and I'm not sure if I'm more scared or excited about this cruise. I am in a wheelchair now we are heading out on Carnaval, the ship is the magic, I've booked the stateroom 7270 fully accessible. we are heading to the eastern Caribbean 7-day cruise April-21-2018 to AmberCove, St Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk. What I like to know is has anyone stayed in this room on the magic, and if you can give me an idea of what its like with a wheelchair in the room. Also has anyone cruised these destinations and is their excursions to do off the ship at these ports that will except wheelchair access. I've heard Amber cove is really nice and I would assume that it is very handicap accessible. I would think at the other stops you can get off the ship and get around them in the shopping areas in an electric wheelchair.

One more thing does anyone know if at Amber Cove is their handicap transportation to Puerto Plata.

Any help that I can get would be wonderful thank you all very much for listening.

PS. Really IM just glad to be back on the ship after so long, but anything else would just be the cherry on top of the cake.. thanks again

First time cruising since my disability and I'm not sure if I'm more scared or excited about this cruise. I am in a wheelchair now we are heading out on Carnaval, the ship is the magic, I've booked the stateroom 7270 fully accessible. we are heading to the eastern Caribbean 7-day cruise April-21-2018 to AmberCove, St Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk. What I like to know is has anyone stayed in this room on the magic, and if you can give me an idea of what its like with a wheelchair in the room. Also has anyone cruised these destinations and is their excursions to do off the ship at these ports that will except wheelchair access. I've heard Amber cove is really nice and I would assume that it is very handicap accessible. I would think at the other stops you can get off the ship and get around them in the shopping areas in an electric wheelchair.

One more thing does anyone know if at Amber Cove is their handicap transportation to Puerto Plata.

Any help that I can get would be wonderful thank you all very much for listening.

PS. Really IM just glad to be back on the ship after so long, but anything else would just be the cherry on top of the cake.. thanks again

Go to http://www.cruisedeckplans.com and bring up Carnival Magic. On the left side scroll down to Ocean Suite and click on Handicap and there will be a place to click on a video of your cabin. If you change the ship to Dream, there is another video, and several sets of still pictures. Ordinarily you have to be a paying member to see the pictures, but he makes the handicap pictures free. The same cabin on Breeze appears to be set up differently. EM