My GoPro cruise experience

Chesneygirl

We just got back from a fabulous cruise onboard the NCL Escape. Typically I bring my more expensive gear to shoot photos and video with, but this time I wanted to keep things simple. All I had was a GoPro Hero 5, Karma Grip, Jaws Clamp, Suction Cup and a 3 way mount. Take a look and let me know what you think! :)

d7WfHshm77g

Loved it. We just bought a Hero 5 Black. We can't wait to use it. Your video gave me some ideas. Thank you.

Love Kenny C!

Sherry

Thanks...I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the quality and ease of use with the GoPro Hero 5!

I hope you come back to post your video...I would love to see it! :)

I also posted a bloopers and out takes from the same cruise if you want to check that one out too! Happy Sailing! :)

OdeyXbcXmXc

Oh very nice!!! Going to take our new Go Pro on its first trip in 10 days. Hopefully we can figure out how to use it and make fabulous video too.

There are lots of great tutorial videos on Youtube that can help you learn the best settings for your new GoPro. That's how I learned. Have a great cruise and please come back to post your video! :)

Either you have the world's steadiest hands or you're using a gimbal :-).

If you're using a gimbal, which one? Also how did you mount your go pro on your luggage for example?

I was thinking the same. I presume they used the Karma grip.

Either you have the world's steadiest hands or you're using a gimbal :-).

If you're using a gimbal, which one? Also how did you mount your go pro on your luggage for example?

I was thinking the same. I presume they used the Karma grip.

Sulli is correct. I was using the new Karma Grip by GoPro which worked awesome.

For the luggage shots, I used the GoPro Jaws clamp. The Jaws clamp came in really handy for a lot of other shots as well including the time-lapses.

Hope this helps! :)

Love your videos. I think I will leave the canon to still shots and buy a GoPro Hero 5, would be better than the standard Pro for say videos on a cruise?.

I would not be using it for sports or such, and I have been looking for a HD video camera for months, I am only a leaner with video, but after seeing your video, I think I have made up my mind.

Love the time lapses, is that difficult to exercise?

Also noticed that you were walking with it most of the time.

What editing software would you recommend a learner to use. I use a Mac Pro laptop.

Thank you for posting your videos(y).

Edited by KiwiFunCruiser
spelling

Love your videos. I think I will leave the canon to still shots and buy a GoPro Hero 5, would be better than the standard Pro for say videos on a cruise?.

I would not be using it for sports or such, and I have been looking for a HD video camera for months, I am only a leaner with video, but after seeing your video, I think I have made up my mind.

Love the time lapses, is that difficult to exercise?

Also noticed that you were walking with it most of the time.

What editing software would you recommend a learner to use. I use a Mac Pro laptop.

Thank you for posting your videos(y).

Thank you for watching and the kind words! :)

In the past I would bring my monopod/tripod, Canon DSLR with various lens and deal with changing the settings WB, ISO, aperture, ND filters, making sure all my shots were in focus, etc. which all became tedious to me. I felt like I was spending to much time focusing on the camera set up and not enjoying my vacation as much as I could be. My goal was to continue making a quality vacation video but in a way that would allow me to simplify things so I could enjoy my vacation more.

I really enjoyed using the Gopro Hero 5 for our cruise and the ease of just being able to toss it and some of the mounts into my beach bag on the go was great too! There is a small learning curve to using it but nothing too difficult. Youtube has tons of tutorials for anything and everything related to this camera. That's how I learned how to do the time lapses. I basically set the camera to my desired settings, mounted it to a railing with the GoPro Jaws mount and just let it role on it's own for about an 45 minutes to an hour each time. I would highly recommend getting the Jaws clamp with your camera. Its so versatile and you can get super creative mounting it to anything like tables, chairs, poles, signs, railings, etc.

The walking shots were stabilized with the GoPro Karma.

For my editing software, I used Final Cut Pro X but your MacBook should have iMovie already built in. I used iMovie for many years before upgrading to FCPX.

Good Luck with your new Hero 5, I would love to see how your video turns out!! :)

Thank you for watching and the kind words! :)

In the past I would bring my monopod/tripod, Canon DSLR with various lens and deal with changing the settings WB, ISO, aperture, ND filters, making sure all my shots were in focus, etc. which all became tedious to me. I felt like I was spending to much time focusing on the camera set up and not enjoying my vacation as much as I could be. My goal was to continue making a quality vacation video but in a way that would allow me to simplify things so I could enjoy my vacation more.

I really enjoyed using the Gopro Hero 5 for our cruise and the ease of just being able to toss it and some of the mounts into my beach bag on the go was great too! There is a small learning curve to using it but nothing too difficult. Youtube has tons of tutorials for anything and everything related to this camera. That's how I learned how to do the time lapses. I basically set the camera to my desired settings, mounted it to a railing with the GoPro Jaws mount and just let it role on it's own for about an 45 minutes to an hour each time. I would highly recommend getting the Jaws clamp with your camera. Its so versatile and you can get super creative mounting it to anything like tables, chairs, poles, signs, railings, etc.

The walking shots were stabilized with the GoPro Karma.

For my editing software, I used Final Cut Pro X but your MacBook should have iMovie already built in. I used iMovie for many years before upgrading to FCPX.

Good Luck with your new Hero 5, I would love to see how your video turns out!! :)

Looking to get a Hero 5 before my cruise in April....damn that Karma Grip is way more expensive than I expected

Looking to get a Hero 5 before my cruise in April....damn that Karma Grip is way more expensive than I expected

Yes but definitely worth it if you want to get smooth moving shots! :cool:

Here's a link to another video that I put together for practice when I first got the Karma Grip.

Just got a Go Pro......any particular you tube videos you recommend?

I really like the sped up videos and the reverse features. Is that done in camera or post processing?

Thanks

The "sped up" shots are time lapses. The camera has a built in setting for this. The speed can be adjusted in post if you want it faster or slower and same goes for reverse.

The "sped up" shots are time lapses. The camera has a built in setting for this. The speed can be adjusted in post if you want it faster or slower and same goes for reverse.

How much space does a hour long time lapse take up?

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

How much space does a hour long time lapse take up?

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

I'm not exactly sure how much space it took up but I can say that it couldn't of been all that much.

I had a 64gb memory card and I was able to easily fit my photo time lapses and lots of 2.7k video footage with space to spare. I would dump everything onto my portable external drive at the end of each day and start clean the next day. The card never once filled up but I didn't want to chance it so that's why I always transferred my files off the card just to be safe.

Yeah I hope you come back and post your video!

I would love to see it!! :)

Thank you so much for all your suggestions, hope to have a video soon as I got my Hero 5 yesterday Yea! Yea!. I found the "open the box", getting started videos on Youtube really handy. I think I will start off with iMovie to begin with for now and save under "Mov".

I know that 4k res looks fantastic, was wondering if you always use the full 4k, or do drop down 1 in your recording of some videos or should I go all the way with 4K every-time?.

Thank you so much for all your suggestions, hope to have a video soon as I got my Hero 5 yesterday Yea! Yea!. I found the "open the box", getting started videos on Youtube really handy. I think I will start off with iMovie to begin with for now and save under "Mov".

I know that 4k res looks fantastic, was wondering if you always use the full 4k, or do drop down 1 in your recording of some videos or should I go all the way with 4K every-time?.

4K will look awesome but it definitely takes up a lot of space so make sure you have sufficient storage available first if thats what you decide to do. There's also tons of tutorials on how to use iMovie on Youtube. This is exactly how I learned to shoot and edit all of my videos. :)

My entire cruise video was shot in 2.7k at 60fps. My video editing timeline was set to 1080p at 30fps. I did it this way because I did some cropping/scaling to some of my shots and wanted to maintain the quality. Below is a link to a tutorial that kind of explains it better. I actually used quite a few of his techniques in my video. One example was in the beginning when the NCL girl was checking us in. I cropped her in and used the ken burns effect. Anyway I hope I haven't completely confused you...heres the video link that hopefully explains it better. :)

Thank's a lot for your tips and advice. As you said, your cruise video (Fabulous) was 2.7K/60, I will stick to that for now . I have been busy this weekend checking out the iMovie tutorials. By the time I get to cruise time later this year, I should be ready to go.:)(y)

Nice videos, thanks for sharing. We went on our first cruise last summer and absolutely loved it. But when it was all said and done, something was missing, and that something was a GoPro. After taking a couple of underwater disposable cameras snorkeling with us, we knew we needed a GoPro. At that time, the Hero 5 hadn't been released yet, just rumors floating around the web. When it finally released, I debated on it or a Hero 4. I found an awesome deal on a new Hero 4 Silver during last year's Christmas sales. It came with a 16 GB SD card, an extra battery, and a dual battery charger, plus the usual mounts, all for an excellent price, so I couldn't pass it up. In addition, we bought two more 64GB SD cards. In your opinion, do you think those two 64GB cards, plus the 16GB that came with it, would be plenty? Obviously quality of video is a factor, but I'd be willing to sacrifice a little quality for more recording time. I have an external hard drive, but I really don't want to bring it. Would love to get by with just the three SD cards. I have a feeling that most of my GoPro use will be for still shots & some video in the water. We bought it specifically for that. Any additional use is a bonus.

I'd love to leave my DSLR at home just for the sake of not having to carry it around and, as you mentioned, the switching out of lenses, etc., but I don't think I'm ready for that yet. We enjoy the pictures I took with it too much to give it up...for now.

Edited to add one more question: In regards to the segment of your video where the crew is dancing & welcoming everyone to "Happy," is that when you came back on board at port or what? I love that. We were on Carnival and I wish they did that. The closest they came was a short dance routine by the wait staff during dinners.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes but definitely worth it if you want to get smooth moving shots! :cool:

Here's a link to another video that I put together for practice when I first got the Karma Grip.

So I ended up with a GoPro Hero 5 and the Karma Grip. I managed to get 20% off of each! A huge savings for me. The Grip is supposed to arrive on Wednesday. I did a 4k video time lapse last night and a photo time lapse as a test. Even the 4k time lapse didn't take up as much space as I expected. I does however decrease you battery life quite a bit. I was only able to get about 2 hours which is probably longer than what I would do on the cruise anyways.