South America in January

Reina del Mar

Just booked Emerald Princess for January 2018. Santiago/ Valparaiso to Buenos Aires, Round the Horn. Two days pre cruise in Santiago and three post cruise Buenos Aires. Can't wait.

Am looking for some help please.......

I panic about packing for Caribbean cruises and take far too much so what on earth should I pack for this one ??

Also, what are the 'must do s and must sees' please ??

Any other helpful tips, vaccinations, visas etc for GB passengers gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks.

Edited by Reina del Mar
predictive text predicting incorrectly !!!!

We did LA to Rio from early December to early January (the beginning of summer). Temps on the Valparaiso to Rio cruise ranged from mid/upper 40s (mornings in Tierra del Fuego) to 110 (farenheit) in Rio (Buenos Aires was in the 90s if I remember correctly). You will definitely need layers for Ushuaia, Punta Arenas and the Falkland Islands plus a hat and gloves (the wind can be incredible - our ship was stuck at the dock in Ushuaia for more than 6 hours because of it).

We arranged private excursions in every port: a walking tour in Valparaiso, boat ride to see the Magellanic penguins in Punta Arenas, a boat ride of the Beagle Channel in Ushuaia that was cancelled due to wind and the excursion provider substitued a lovely tour of the National Park, an excursion to Volunteer Point to see the King (and other) penguins in the Falklands, and a walking tour of Buenos Aires.

Added: since you have extra time in Buenos Aires, consider going to Iguassu Falls. It is one of the most spectacular sights on the planet. There are a number of threads providing useful information on getting to/from on this forum.

Agree with everything Capriccio said. Layer, layer, layer. You will find BA and Valpo/Santiago hot and humid and when you get to Patagoinia it will be cool to cold and windy.

Iguazu Falls is indeed one of the most spectacular sites on the planet. Can you extend your stay a couple of days? 3 days post cruise does not leave enough time to take in both Buenos Aires and Iguazu.

Agree with everything Capriccio said. Layer, layer, layer. You will find BA and Valpo/Santiago hot and humid and when you get to Patagoinia it will be cool to cold and windy.

Iguazu Falls is indeed one of the most spectacular sites on the planet. Can you extend your stay a couple of days? 3 days post cruise does not leave enough time to take in both Buenos Aires and Iguazu.

Totally agree about preparing to layer. But you really never know what the weather will be like in Ushuaia. When we were there it was shorts and short sleeve weather. They had had an unusually warm winter.

Suggest bringing a fleece or heavy sweater and a windbreaker or rain jacket to go over it. That should work for just about anything you might experience.

• 2 weeks later...

We did a review of our SA cruise in 2011. It has lots of photos and private tour guide recommendations for the ports you will probably be stopping at. It is located at LINK . We are doing a different SA cruise in January that stops at some of the same ports, plus some new ones in Chile, along with our main reason for going again, Antarctica. If you can wait until after that cruise, there will be more recommendations.

I also highly recommend trying to go to Iguazu Falls. It is truly one of the most amazing natural wonders we have seen; and we have been to a lot of places. It was the highlight of our SA cruise and one that we strongly recommend to everyone who travels to SA.

We did a review of our SA cruise in 2011. It has lots of photos and private tour guide recommendations for the ports you will probably be stopping at. It is located at LINK . We are doing a different SA cruise in January that stops at some of the same ports, plus some new ones in Chile, along with our main reason for going again, Antarctica. If you can wait until after that cruise, there will be more recommendations.

I also highly recommend trying to go to Iguazu Falls. It is truly one of the most amazing natural wonders we have seen; and we have been to a lot of places. It was the highlight of our SA cruise and one that we strongly recommend to everyone who travels to SA.

Thank you very much for the link to your review and photographs.......Amazing!!

Would be interested to know your thoughts on clothing.

Layers seem to be the key.

Did you need a padded jacket , waterproof footwear ???

What about evenings on the ship ??

Thanks again

Thank you very much for the link to your review and photographs.......Amazing!!

Would be interested to know your thoughts on clothing.

Layers seem to be the key.

Did you need a padded jacket , waterproof footwear ???

What about evenings on the ship ??

Thanks again

I hope the review helps in your planning. Since you will be in hot to cold, you will need layers. Since you aren't going to Antarctica, you won't need as heavy a clothing. You will want something to cover your head and gloves too. I didn't need waterproof footwear. If you hang out on the deck a lot, I would take a padded type jacket for the southern parts. Most cruises don't require formal wear anymore, so you should have flexibility on what you wear.

Reina del Mar, My husband and I were on an Antarctica cruise from Buenos Aires to Santiago in January, so I understand your concern about what to pack! As other posters have mentioned, layers are key...rain jacket, heavy jacket and fleece, as well as gloves, hat and scarf or neck gaiter. We also brought waterproof sneakers, which worked really well. Buenos Aires was summery shorts weather.

I have blog posts from every port – three more to go! – which you might find helpful, including photos that will give you an idea of clothing needs. There were so many highlights, from our Buenos Aires walking tour to Volunteer Point in the Falklands to Magdalena Island in Punta Arenas to our Chilean wine tour. Here's the link, starting with our first day in Buenos Aires.

http://www.themodernpostcard.com/buenos-aires-day-1-la-recoleta-cemetery-la-casa-rosada-a-starry-touch-of-russia/

It's a fabulous itinerary...every day was so different and interesting and beautiful. You will have a wonderful time!

Mary

Travel Blog: http://www.themodernpostcard.com

Just booked Emerald Princess for January 2018. Santiago/ Valparaiso to Buenos Aires, Round the Horn. Two days pre cruise in Santiago and three post cruise Buenos Aires. Can't wait.

Am looking for some help please.......

I panic about packing for Caribbean cruises and take far too much so what on earth should I pack for this one ??

Also, what are the 'must do s and must sees' please ??

Any other helpful tips, vaccinations, visas etc for GB passengers gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks.

Hey Reina del Mar,

We too are booked on the Emerald Princess sailing out of Valparasio on Jan 17, 2018, If you are looking for any privately oragnized tours, there are some already some that have been started. Check out the Jan 17,2018 Emerald Princess roll call for more information, if Jan 17 is your sailing date.

Louise

• 2 months later...
Who did you use for the private tour in Punta Arenas?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We used Solo Expediciones. We were in Punta Arenas on Christmas day so there were limited options. We were only able to visit Isla Magdalena (which is the highlight of the excursion) because the wind and seas picked up and the captain decided to cancel the planned sail-by of Isla Marta. The penguins on Isla Magdalena are incredible!

https://www.soloexpediciones.com/home

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g297401-d1573188-Reviews-Solo_Expediciones-Punta_Arenas_Magallanes_Region.html

We used Solo Expediciones. We were in Punta Arenas on Christmas day so there were limited options. We were only able to visit Isla Magdalena (which is the highlight of the excursion) because the wind and seas picked up and the captain decided to cancel the planned sail-by of Isla Marta. The penguins on Isla Magdalena are incredible!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g297401-d1573188-Reviews-Solo_Expediciones-Punta_Arenas_Magallanes_Region.html

Great information - thank you!

Do you remember if each person booked separately with the company or did one person handle all the bookings?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Was this a speed boat tour or a regular ferry type boat??

bbyost, We did the Magdelena Island excursion through our cruise line, which also booked through Solo Expediciones. You will be in a speed boat, which I found to be a little like a covered zodiac. There is also ferry service to the island, but it takes quite a bit longer and can be crowded. I have a blog post about our day there including photos of the boat that you might find helpful.

https://www.themodernpostcard.com/punta-arenas-chile-magdalena-island-the-magnificent-magellanic-penguins/

Magdalena Island is a fascinating place, and the Magellanic penguins are just delightful! Just be prepared that the Strait of Magellan can be rough, and the tour could be cancelled if the operators feel it isn't safe for the boats to make the journey.

Mary

Was this a speed boat tour or a regular ferry type boat??

Their website has pictures of the fleet. We were in the larger boat (still a speed boat not a ferry) that seated about 50 or 60 people. The ride was twice as fast as the ferry I think (less than 1 hour vs about 2 hours). We also had the island to ourselves which was fantastic.

bbyost, We did the Magdelena Island excursion through our cruise line, which also booked through Solo Expediciones. You will be in a speed boat, which I found to be a little like a covered zodiac. There is also ferry service to the island, but it takes quite a bit longer and can be crowded. I have a blog post about our day there including photos of the boat that you might find helpful.

https://www.themodernpostcard.com/punta-arenas-chile-magdalena-island-the-magnificent-magellanic-penguins/

Magdalena Island is a fascinating place, and the Magellanic penguins are just delightful! Just be prepared that the Strait of Magellan can be rough, and the tour could be cancelled if the operators feel it isn't safe for the boats to make the journey.

Mary

Travel Blog: www.themodernpostcard.com

Thank you Mary! NCL has not posted the Punta Arenas excursions yet for our Feb. 3, 2018 cruise.

If they don't offer it, I will book it independently.

We did this cruise in February. Two differences. First of all this was part of a nine week trip encompassing parts of South and Central America. We started for a snow zone city. One more thing....we only travel with carry on. We never bother with formal nights in the MDR.

We dressed in layers. All short sleave shirts plus one cotton sweater. And a windproof jacket. Also took an ea rband for each of us. There were a few cool days. We only wore the ear bands once, and only for an hour or so. Only wore the jeans on the flight down and on three days of the cruise. Same with the jacket.

We very much enjoyed BA, and most especially the five days we spent in Uruguay prior to the cruise. We preferred our two days in Valparaiso to either of our 2.5 days in Santiago or our few days with a rental car in wine region.

We had a pre arranged private tour in Ushuaia which was great. Same for the private tour we picked up at the dock in Falklands. We were on a Princess cruise. The ships excursions were grossly overpriced. We have seen penguins before and it seemed to us that the excursions with penguins were the most overpriced of the lot. We passed.

We did this cruise in February. Two differences. First of all this was part of a nine week trip encompassing parts of South and Central America. We started for a snow zone city. One more thing....we only travel with carry on. We never bother with formal nights in the MDR.

We dressed in layers. All short sleave shirts plus one cotton sweater. And a windproof jacket. Also took an ea rband for each of us. There were a few cool days. We only wore the ear bands once, and only for an hour or so. Only wore the jeans on the flight down and on three days of the cruise. Same with the jacket.

We very much enjoyed BA, and most especially the five days we spent in Uruguay prior to the cruise. We preferred our two days in Valparaiso to either of our 2.5 days in Santiago or our few days with a rental car in wine region.

We had a pre arranged private tour in Ushuaia which was great. Same for the private tour we picked up at the dock in Falklands. We were on a Princess cruise. The ships excursions were grossly overpriced. We have seen penguins before and it seemed to us that the excursions with penguins were the most overpriced of the lot. We passed.

What private tour did you use for the Falklands?

We did LA to Rio from early December to early January (the beginning of summer). Temps on the Valparaiso to Rio cruise ranged from mid/upper 40s (mornings in Tierra del Fuego) to 110 (farenheit) in Rio (Buenos Aires was in the 90s if I remember correctly). You will definitely need layers for Ushuaia, Punta Arenas and the Falkland Islands plus a hat and gloves (the wind can be incredible - our ship was stuck at the dock in Ushuaia for more than 6 hours because of it).

We arranged private excursions in every port: a walking tour in Valparaiso, boat ride to see the Magellanic penguins in Punta Arenas, a boat ride of the Beagle Channel in Ushuaia that was cancelled due to wind and the excursion provider substitued a lovely tour of the National Park, an excursion to Volunteer Point to see the King (and other) penguins in the Falklands, and a walking tour of Buenos Aires.

Added: since you have extra time in Buenos Aires, consider going to Iguassu Falls. It is one of the most spectacular sights on the planet. There are a number of threads providing useful information on getting to/from on this forum.

Who did you use for your private excursions? I'm looking to book and need contact info.

JKLong, I can enthusiastically recommend the private tour companies we used in Buenos Aires and the Falklands:

https://www.buenostours.com/ (all-day walking tour)

pwatts@horizon.co.fk (email for Patrick Watts Adventure Falklands Tour to Volunteer Point )

We did the ship's tour to Magdalena Island in Punta Arenas, which was booked through Solo Expediciones.

In Ushuaia, we booked a taxi at the Visitor's Center (short walk from the port) for a tour of Tierra del Fuego National Park and toured the town on our own.

I hope this helps with your planning!

Mary