Visitors onboard

Does Regent still allow visitors onboard while in port? I haven't done this on Regent in a while, and the last thread I can find on the subject dates back to 2013.

If they do, is there a charge if they join us for lunch? And does it make a difference if it is a tender port, as opposed to one where the ship is docked? The ports in question are in the U.S., and are not embarkation or debarkation ports.

They will allow it sometimes. You need to make a request far in advance, 90 days. The guests usually need to supply a copy of their passport. They will not do it in all ports, but I don't think that a tender port would be a prohibiting factor. Best to have your Travel Agent work this out for you.

J

I recently received approval for visitors on board in September (this is in Germany). I just provided the required passport info to our TA who took care of getting the approval. There is a charge for lunch; I don't know yet what it is because it has to be arranged once we get on board.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We managed to have family onboard in Canada a few years ago. We had not even thought about this until we were speaking to our neighbors at the block party who had friends coming onboard in New York.

Within 3 days the wonderful reception staff on Navigator had this arranged for us. It was $60 total for our niece and her partner to have lunch onboard with us. We were so grateful to the staff for doing this for us, as apparently this should have been applied for months in advance. Jean.

We did it last February, in Ecuador, on Mariner. We put in the request three months in advance, and had my friends fill out forms prior to the approval. Passports were required for entry. Might be harder in a U.S. port these days.

There was a charge for lunch or dinner. They were to be on for lunch, so we took them all over the ship and showed them the different dining rooms and talked to the maitre'ds before choosing which restaurant, and mentioned that they were guests onboard for a few hours. Everyone was super nice to them, and we ended up being seated in La Veranda for the buffet.

Despite being told about the charge, we were never charged. I think that's quite common.

We had guests come on board the Explorer for dinner while docked in San Diego. It was a last minute request one day ahead of time and Regent graciously accommodated us with proper documentation from our guests. We were charged around $40 or $50 each.

That's odd I just checked on this today and Regent said yes-need to fill out forms. Saw that someone said they ate at a Speciality Restaurant with your guest. Since we'll be at a port till 10:00PM I think a lot of cruisers will be out on the town. I didn't realize you could eat in a Speciality Restaurant, but if they have room-sounds like they would let it happen. It will be San Diego. Rick

That's odd I just checked on this today and Regent said yes-need to fill out forms. Saw that someone said they ate at a Speciality Restaurant with your guest. Since we'll be at a port till 10:00PM I think a lot of cruisers will be out on the town. I didn't realize you could eat in a Speciality Restaurant, but if they have room-sounds like they would let it happen. It will be San Diego. Rick

Yes - Focused1's post is very unusual as I have not heard of last minute approval for guests (due to security issues - particularly in the U.S.). As I said, even I had to submit paperwork and get it approved prior to being able to visit the Mariner in Vancouver. If the ship will be in port until 10:00 p.m. there is no reason that they could to dine in a specialty restaurant (as you indicated, a lot of people will be off of the ship). As they have approval, guests are not limited as to where they can go on the ship.

Yes - Focused1's post is very unusual as I have not heard of last minute approval for guests (due to security issues - particularly in the U.S.). As I said, even I had to submit paperwork and get it approved prior to being able to visit the Mariner in Vancouver. If the ship will be in port until 10:00 p.m. there is no reason that they could to dine in a specialty restaurant (as you indicated, a lot of people will be off of the ship). As they have approval, guests are not limited as to where they can go on the ship.

When I say "last minute" I mean the day before (24 hours) and they had to complete the requisite forms with a copy of both sides of an ID which were faxed to the purser.

When I say "last minute" I mean the day before (24 hours) and they had to complete the requisite forms with a copy of both sides of an ID which were faxed to the purser.

Thanks for the update. It is still an anomaly IMO and I don't think we would want posters to assume that this 24 hour request could always be accommodated. Actually, as a Regent customer, I was surprised that it took a long as it did (a few days but I requested the visit 30 days in advance).

Thanks for the update. It is still an anomaly IMO and I don't think we would want posters to assume that this 24 hour request could always be accommodated. Actually, as a Regent customer, I was surprised that it took a long as it did (a few days but I requested the visit 30 days in advance).[/quote

I also posted above of similar situation being arranged in less than 3 days from onboard. Jean.

Thanks for the update. It is still an anomaly IMO and I don't think we would want posters to assume that this 24 hour request could always be accommodated. Actually, as a Regent customer, I was surprised that it took a long as it did (a few days but I requested the visit 30 days in advance).[/quote

I also posted above of similar situation being arranged in less than 3 days from onboard. Jean.

Obviously this happens. My concern is giving this advice to posters since Regent suggests otherwise. My preference is to follow Regent's guidelines for guests to insure that Regent has the time to process the paperwork. Keep in mind that guest requests come from all over the world. While it may be a weekday and during Regent's opening hours in the country you are in, it may not be in Miami (it also could a holiday that is only observed in the U.S.)

Obviously this happens. My concern is giving this advice to posters since Regent suggests otherwise. My preference is to follow Regent's guidelines for guests to insure that Regent has the time to process the paperwork. Keep in mind that guest requests come from all over the world. While it may be a weekday and during Regent's opening hours in the country you are in, it may not be in Miami (it also could a holiday that is only observed in the U.S.)

I agree that this is not advice to be given to future cruisers. I was merely pointing out the fact that we were unaware that we could have arranged this pre cruise from the UK if we had known, and it was all down to a chance conversation with block party neighbors, and how helpful and excellent the staff were on Navigator arranged this in such a short timeline. We were extremely grateful and impressed at their hard work. Our family enjoyed the ships visit and lunch. Jean.

I agree that this is not advice to be given to future cruisers. I was merely pointing out the fact that we were unaware that we could have arranged this pre cruise from the UK if we had known, and it was all down to a chance conversation with block party neighbors, and how helpful and excellent the staff were on Navigator arranged this in such a short timeline. We were extremely grateful and impressed at their hard work. Our family enjoyed the ships visit and lunch. Jean.

Same happened with us, Jean. We learned about it from our suite neighbors (that Regent allowed guests). Concurrently, we learned that a military family member was in port who had just returned from deployment. We were fortunate that Regent processed the paperwork and are grateful for their kindness and flexibility. Obviously, this could not be planned ahead of time.

Same happened with us, Jean. We learned about it from our suite neighbors (that Regent allowed guests). Concurrently, we learned that a military family member was in port who had just returned from deployment. We were fortunate that Regent processed the paperwork and are grateful for their kindness and flexibility. Obviously, this could not be planned ahead of time.

That's so nice to hear your story. It shows how the staff onboard are so focused in ensuring that our cruise is memorable in as personal a way as possible.

One of the many reasons that we return as welcomed and valued guests. Jean.

• 5 months later...

We just learned about this option - it is great that Regent allows guests (seems this is rare among cruise lines). We are planning now to bring guests onboard and have more than the required 30 days so we hope this will all work out.

What I'm wondering is what it costs to bring a guest into CR for dinner. I see the cost of $50pp mentioned for specialty restaurants and $30 pp for lunch but I am wondering what the pp cost is for dinner in CR. Any ideas?

Also, about what is the cost to have guests just join us for a drink?

Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

My daughter and her family joined us on the pool deck for lunch while in Boston last Fall. No one asked us to pay for the 4 lunches. We did do the required paperwork a few months in advance via our TA.

Regent does not tend to charge passengers but this is likely something that we don't want them to read on CC.

I did see others signing for their guests’ meals and thought we were just lucky....maybe because we sat outside and not in La Veranda?

We have had guests on three different times. Always paid.

We have had guests on three different times. Always paid.

Same here. We had guests for dinner on the Explorer while in San Diego and paid $30/person. This information (cost of meal) was conveyed to us when we secured permission to bring guests on board.

Thx everyone for sharing your experiences! I submitted the request to bring visitors aboard form by email to Regent a week ago but haven’t had any acknowledgement of receipt or approval of the visit from them yet. Guess I need to contact them again to confirm.