Valpariso to Santiago tour that isn't a wine tour

Nebr.cruiser

We disembarked in Valpariso several years ago and did a tour (The Van Man) that was great; walking tour of Val., wine tour, nice country restaurant, short tour of Santiago and drop off at the airport.

BUT: In Jan. we are going around the horn and again need a tour from Valparaiso to the airport. We enjoyed the first tour, but really don't want a repeat; besides, we are not wine drinkers.

Any suggestions for a longer tour that is not a wine tour? I have tried to find something that goes into the Andes a ways, but no luck. I'd like it to be all day as our flight is very late.

• 1 month later...
We disembarked in Valpariso several years ago and did a tour (The Van Man) that was great; walking tour of Val., wine tour, nice country restaurant, short tour of Santiago and drop off at the airport.

BUT: In Jan. we are going around the horn and again need a tour from Valparaiso to the airport. We enjoyed the first tour, but really don't want a repeat; besides, we are not wine drinkers.

Any suggestions for a longer tour that is not a wine tour? I have tried to find something that goes into the Andes ways, but no luck. I'd like it to be all day as our flight is very late.

Hello you can go by a tour to Santiago city in the morning and in the afternoon you can go to Los Andes Mountains , Cajon del Maipo and El Yeso Reservoir,,,,you can see nice landscapes and beautiful mountains and lunch in the mountains,,,,best regards

Hello you can go by a tour to Santiago city in the morning and in the afternoon you can go to Los Andes Mountains , Cajon del Maipo and El Yeso Reservoir,,,,you can see nice landscapes and beautiful mountains and lunch in the mountains,,,,best regards

Thank you--I would like to go into the Andes and maybe Vina del Mar, if time--we've already toured Santiago.

So far I can't seem to find a tour that is any reasonable price--$250pp is just too much for us. So if you have any tour/guide suggestions, that would be great. We don't have to have a private tour; sharing is fine.

Thank you--I would like to go into the Andes and maybe Vina del Mar, if time--we've already toured Santiago.

So far I can't seem to find a tour that is any reasonable price--$250pp is just too much for us. So if you have any tour/guide suggestions, that would be great. We don't have to have a private tour; sharing is fine.

Hello please contact privatedriversantiago@hotmail.com....they have nice tour at very reasonable rates....they will offer you an amazing program for you....best regards

• 4 weeks later...

Any suggestions for a longer tour that is not a wine tour? I have tried to find something that goes into the Andes a ways, but no luck. I'd like it to be all day as our flight is very late.

You've probably long since made arrangements, but if not I strongly recommend you ask perrotour.com

We disembarked in Valparaiso, December 2015, on a Saturday as I recall. Juan Victor Reyes of Perro Tours met us at our hotel at the appointed time and the two of us spent the day with him on a walking tour. The next day we were on our own, the next day after that Juan Victor and a driver picked us up (along with another couple we had met on the cruise) and took us to Santiago with a winery and lunch stop along the way. Then a driving/walking tour of the city and a drop-off at our respective hotels. Everything was first class, not a "standard" package but rather totally based on what we wanted to do and see. Juan Victor is a Valparaiso native who lived several years in Santiago and knows the region. Tell him what you are interested in and see what he suggests...

Stan

We have a provisional booking with Leo at toursbylocals.com for our stay in Santiago on 19th January 2018. The Tour is #66631 and covers Santiago, Valparaiso and Vina del Mar.

Leo is happy to vary the tour 'mix' (we aren't v.interested in Vina del Mar beach resort) to give more time in the older sections of Santiago and Valparaiso. Leo describes himself as 'Super Flexible' so I suspect that changing the itinerary is all in a day's work for him!

The Tour Price is $500 for up to 4 passengers for a 7 hours trip. We are hoping to get 2 people to join us - $125pp is more comfortable financially! But this is our first trip to S. America, our first time on an American cruise ship, so if we have to pay extra for what may well be our 'trip of a lifetime', so be it. There's no pockets in a shroud! :D

We will be taking this tour to the Andes for hiking while in Santiago in February prior to embarking the Emerald Princess on Feb. 14:

http://ecochile.travel/tours/glaciers-hot-springs/

$127 pp for the day including pick up at hotel in Santiago. I have made a reservation already. They are allowing me to wait to pay until I have made the final payment for the cruise.

• 2 months later...

We are currently in Valparaiso, even though our port of call has changed to San Antonio. We did fly into Santiago and booked a private tour with Michael, The German Pirate. Crazy name but SUPERB experience and very reasonably priced. He moved to the area in 1997 from Germany, is fluent in German, Spanish and English. He will make suggestions and individualize a tour for you. We also used him for a full day tour of Valparaiso and he has also arranged our direct transfer from our Valparaiso hotel to the cruise terminal in San Antonio. I am certain you will be pleased -- just tell him at the outset that you are not interested in wine tours. He took us to a former whaling village, Quinta...where we ate a local lunch , and drove us to a beautiful beach area. He will share so much information with you. www.thegermanpirates.cl or just google The German Pirate Valparaiso. He does tours of Santiago, Valparaiso, Vina Del Mar and all points between!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a report on the tour we booked from San Antonio--we were not wanting another wine tour as we seldom drink wine.

We ended up having a very nice day but there were some, uh, some boondoogles along the way. Our guide was over an hour late; we did understand, as the Pope was in Santiago that day and was touring some of the outlaying areas; many highways were shut down for his motorcade which made alternate routes very crowded. Security was very tight.

Next, after he finally made it, we walked with him to the exit of the port area, where we waited while he went to get his car. Quite a while later he came back very apologetic; car wouldn't start (it was quite a nice newer car). Possibly the starter? Battery? My husband and he walked back to it and spent some time trying different things.

He had a friend delivering people to the ship for the next cruise and arranged to have him take us on a tour--not the one to the mountains, since by now there wasn't time for that. First though, his friend jumped the car and then we followed him until he managed to get a new battery and have it installed.

Since the mountains were out, we choose to go to the Vina del Mar instead. We enjoyed the area--reminded us of parts of the French Riviera or Amalfi coast. Also had a nice dinner there, then went on to Valparaiso for a short tour and to the airport.

The new driver was a little limited in English, but we managed fine and he did a very nice job. Kind of a mess, but really not anything anyone could help, so we went with the flow and still managed to enjoy our day--at a very good price--in the Santiago area. Que sera, sera!

Here's a report on the tour we booked from San Antonio--we were not wanting another wine tour as we seldom drink wine.

We ended up having a very nice day but there were some, uh, some boondoogles along the way. Our guide was over an hour late; we did understand, as the Pope was in Santiago that day and was touring some of the outlaying areas; many highways were shut down for his motorcade which made alternate routes very crowded. Security was very tight.

Next, after he finally made it, we walked with him to the exit of the port area, where we waited while he went to get his car. Quite a while later he came back very apologetic; car wouldn't start (it was quite a nice newer car). Possibly the starter? Battery? My husband and he walked back to it and spent some time trying different things.

He had a friend delivering people to the ship for the next cruise and arranged to have him take us on a tour--not the one to the mountains, since by now there wasn't time for that. First though, his friend jumped the car and then we followed him until he managed to get a new battery and have it installed.

Since the mountains were out, we choose to go to the Vina del Mar instead. We enjoyed the area--reminded us of parts of the French Riviera or Amalfi coast. Also had a nice dinner there, then went on to Valparaiso for a short tour and to the airport.

The new driver was a little limited in English, but we managed fine and he did a very nice job. Kind of a mess, but really not anything anyone could help, so we went with the flow and still managed to enjoy our day--at a very good price--in the Santiago area. Que sera, sera!

Wow! Congratulations on your attitude. Sometimes the best laid plans go awry and you have to go to Plan B and not complain. We were on the Emerald in December and arranged for an 8 hour tour from San Antonio to Santiago. It did not go exactly according to plans but in the long run it worked out to our satisfaction and we had a great day. Based on my experience in South America, both in Peru and Chile, you don't always get what you signed up for.

• 3 weeks later...

Leoncio booked through Tours by locals gave us an excellent tour, seafood lunch and drop off at Terra Mia bed and breakfast in San Antonio before our cruise on Emerald Princess. Leoncio was a calm driver with lots of good short stops to see the sights and very good English information about Chile. A great day transistioning from the airport to B&B!