Question about QuietVox units on the STAR.

Peregrina651

This is for folks currently on the STAR or recently returned (like in the last month or so).

On the SEA, the QuietVox units have a universal headset jack that can be used with any headset, so I am not asking about units on the SEA (and I presume the SKY)

When the STAR was originally outfitted, the QuietVox units had a proprietary jack that could only be used with the headset that was provided. I have been complaining about this headsets since I first sailed Viking in 2010 because they only work in the left ear--and cannot be used in the right ear (at least not comfortably).

So, what I am trying to find out from folks who have recently sailed on the STAR, is if they have upgraded the units on the STAR to the newer units with the universal jack?

I don't think so. There were instructions how to use headset in the left ear or right one. There was no mention that you could use QuietVox with other headset. I believe that it was mentioned on the river cruise where I used my iPhone headset. The river cruise QuietVox was also more compact. I hope my memory didn't fail me yet...lol

I don't think so. There were instructions how to use headset in the left ear or right one. There was no mention that you could use QuietVox with other headset. I believe that it was mentioned on the river cruise where I used my iPhone headset. The river cruise QuietVox was also more compact. I hope my memory didn't fail me yet...lol

I should have included pictures. Standard plug looks like this and goes into a round jack:

Z

The old QuietVox sets look like this. The headset jack is the square thing poking up from the top of the unit--a slot and tab affair:

2Q==

(okay, hopefully the pictures I inserted will show up)

• 5 months later...
Finally, I can answer my own question. The QuietVox units, confirmed as of our 12/28/17 sailing, now have a standard earphone jack and you can use your own own headsets.

This is good to know, thanks. I really prefer to use my own, comfortable earbuds whenever possible.